What do people think????

Manx,

I agree with you that there will be to many for one place to house them all, There will be a crap load of them and each one has to have its on page, briefing, and picture to be done right.

As for rating them... I think that can be a good idea if done right. I'm thinking of just adding a a small form on my page where they can pick the scenario, give it a # rating and post a comment.

I'll just add a Rank spot with the scenario that reflects this.

As you know this could be a pain in the butt. So realisticaly I know I could only do this for the ones on my site.( I know your laughing since I've just started and only have 3) smile.gif

I figure I might give this a try. If it later becomes too much to handle.......

Lorak

------------------

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

[This message has been edited by Lorak (edited 06-29-2000).]

yes, I posted as much on the Scenarios forum. If all you guys who have CM specific sites would agree to share scenarios amongst yourselves, then that would be best. Otherwise, 500 scenarios spread over 25 sites is too cumbersome for this wargamer. User reviews AND rankings are absolutely critical to me since my time is limited and I'd be really ticked if I wasted 2 hours on a poor design. So regardless of whether there is one place or not, I want the rankings and won't mind spending a few minutes entering them. As a matter of fact, I'd suggest starting a ranking with the scenarios on the CD. Not everyone will enjoy every scenario (although I haven't come across one I don't like yet smile.gif)

------------------

Jeff Abbott

I am mostly interested in historical scenarios, those would need some kind of third party evaluation to verify that they are realistic / accurate.

Invented scenarios might be rated according to how often one side manages to win (i.e. balance), maybe some kind of rating based on players' scores...

Also scenarios could be indexed according to the units involved, i.e. all tanks, tanks vs. mostly infantry, etc. and by nationalities involved.

smile.gif

A spill over from the scenario forum but it affects everyone!!....

There is no easy way of doing this....there will be literally 100's of scenarios for CM1 and what about later versions!??? 1000's!!....i've had about 12 in just over a week and i have 3 more in my "inbox" to add as soon as i can. Don't forget that you will get authors uploading to multiple sites so there will be a lot of sites hosting exactly the same files.

Also reviewing or rating senarios is a waste of time. The files are only 15-30k to download so why not just let people d/l and judge for themselves whether a scenario is any good or not!? When we've all got used to the game we can tell for ourselves what makes a good scenario and what doesn't, and trying to work out a "rating" system that will "work" without dropping spoilers is a waste of time!!!

Staffordshire - England (A CM-Free Zone)

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS- The Source For CM Ops & Scenarios

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

I think it is a good idea both a central place and a ranking. I am personally going to try and have any I put in a site tested, but that may not always be possible, so a ranking system at least will at least let folks know the better ones from the... ehem, not so good smile.gif.

------------------

this is pathfinder's evil twin

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pathfinder1:

I am personally going to try and have any I put in a site tested, but that may not always be possible, so a ranking system at least will at least let folks know the better ones from the... ehem, not so good smile.gif.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although I would love to see a rating system (however rough) I agree that ranking or rating scenarios will be extremely difficult, so maybe we will just have to let the marketplace (number of dowloads type thing) and word of mouth determine status. Downloads are small, but sometimes you have to play a ways into something to find out it's either seriously flawed, or something you could just as easily run up yourself on the Quick Battle generator (and in fact, that might well be all it was). I'm sure we'll have our share of strange, annoying scenarios designed by 15 year olds (NOT any kind of dig at anyone on this Board, just what I've experienced with other games) of the type: Hey, dudez, check out this awesome scenario I designed it rocks! (on another board, anyone who posted a description or personally described their scenario and used the words 'awesome', 'rocks', or 'cool' gave me the identifiers I needed to avoid downloading it). smile.gif

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

[This message has been edited by Seanachai (edited 06-29-2000).]

Seanachai - Spot on my friend! - The good ole "word of mouth". We all swap e-mail addresses, PBEM games, chat etc...if you find a scenario that you think is great then you will tell others about it. I don't see any point in rating or reviewing scenarios..and even if someone attempted to do it i will wish you good luck and hope your boss understands why your not going into work because you will spend the rest of your life having to play them and then do a write-up of every scenario you play....Good Luck!!

Staffordshire - England (Still A CM-Free Zone)

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS- The Source For CM Ops & Scenarios

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

I agree ratings would become a major headache for someone fairly quickly. However, a central "Recommended!" list would be useful to me. One stipulation, the scenario author cannot be the one recommending! But this way "market forces" could be allowed to work somewhat. If I d/l and play a scenario and I think it is particularly well done, I would take a moment to "recommend" it on the list. Then others will at least know someone liked it. The more volountary recommendations a map gets, well, you get my drift. Would that work? Just a list with a link to the d/l site(s)?

Ober

------------------

"Them Yankees couldn't hit the broa..."

I would like a recommended list centered on the Battlefront site since we all come here. I don't mind downloading them elsewhere, but I don't have the time to check them all out.

From other sims, I have noticed that general sponsors of a sim don't like to criticize any missions because they appreciate the effort made by the mission developer.

We need someplace that groups them by topic at least, and hopefully recommends the best.

------------------

Res ipsa loquitur