Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

BTS- Map editor tweaks requested

I have a couple of minor requests involving the map editor I'd like to make to BTS.

First is in the unit selection list. The delete button is way down at the bottom, away from all the other controls. I'd like to see this button moved up, or better yet, have the delete key delete the selected unit from your selection list (great conceph, huh?).

My second request is having the +/- keys change elevation while you are working in terrain or zone mode. It's awfully annoying, having to switch modes every time you catch one little square that's a bit too high or low. Maybe Terrain and Elevation modes could be merged into one? I'm sure it would require quite a bit of reprogramming, but IMHO there isn't anything in elevation mode that couldn't be moved to terrain mode.

My third request is an incredibly minor nitpick. You control-click to set landmarks, right? That's what the little line in the map editor says, right? Not on a Mac. It's option-click, at least on my iMac keyboard. I'd really prefer it if BTS either changed that one little line of text in the Mac version of CM, or changed the key layout so a control click really did work.

-109 Gustav

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

On my wish list for CM 3 is:

3-D TERRAIN EDITING!

It would be really nice to build maps in 3-d. I have trouble making the mental jump from 2-d map editor to 3-d map. While I know this is unlikely, I thought I would ask anyways.

But what is much more feasable would be hot keys in terrain editing. Context menus would be nice, but I would settle for hot keys. Using the keypad to switch terrain tiles would save a lot of mousemovement, for example. Now, when you need to stick in one square of light woods into a forest, you have to select the terrain by clicking, then place it, then re-select forest. Just imagine being able to do this with the flick of a finger or two.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

A 3D editor would be great plus I wouldn't mind the ability to join existing maps together to make a larger map. There is a website that has the old Sl and ASL maps for CM but no provision to join them.

I did get an answer from Steve M about this issue and basically it was no. The time spent on such a feature, and I am safe in saying that the response to a 3D editor would be the same, would mean less time spent on the game features and mechanic changes he has planned.

So most likely unless Steve finds CM2 easier going than he planned, fat chance. We will have a similar editor for CM2.

Now in defense I agree with him. I am just happy that we have an editor at all.

MikeT

I don't think a 3D editor would be a very good idea. I'd prefer having one like the current editor, becuase it's a lot easier for the average gamer to use. Besides, I think CM2 will have the terrain modeled in 10m squares, so even with the current editor, maps will look a lot smoother.

Still like to see the changes I suggested put in place, though.

------------------

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

Apart from the above allready mentioned map copy/paste function I would like to see an adaptable road- 'icon', so that you could the angle or curve of the road. In that way you could draw straight roads in any angle. Maybe 30-degree anle road-icons would allready solve a lot of topographical problems.

Third, I would like to have something that would 'connect' several heights together so that you could really get a rolling hill or instead of the cascade it is now. This prevents tanks hiding behind a 'step' on the middle of a hill where in reality it is a straight line from the bottom of the hill to the top with nothing to hide in between.

Last; I would like to see shadows so that you could follow terraincontours more easily.

Greets,

Pieter.

I like and dislike having the terrain mode and zone mode separate. I was working on my scenario last night and had to try several times to get one particular spot to match up in regards to having a setup zone behind the right hillock but not too close to the other sides setup. I wished at that point that I could have the heights and zones shown together.

However, having all this info would result in a terribly cluttered map. The only solution I could see would be a "zoom in" mode so we could work with only 40x40 terrain tiles in the window, rather than the 80x80 or whatever currently.

I don't think that having 30^ road angles will show up; it's something to do with the coding, I think. The CM terrain engine is only designed to "think" in multiples of 45^.

Lastly, I've not had real problems getting rolling hills. Actually, in my current scenario build I'm having trouble getting a spot on the hill to be NOT rolling but, at the same time, NOT an obvious spot for an enemy to set up an AT gun.

DjB

Does anyone else want the delete key to delete units from the selection list? That way we wouldn't have to keep moving the mouse from the top to the bottom of the screen every time we decide that we want a veteran unit instead of a regular one.

I know that the delete key is already used in the game to cancel orders, but that shouldn't make a difference, should it?

------------------

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys,

Alaska salmon fishing.

when in map preview i'd like to be able to choose the options for unit, like vet, reg or shaken, etc. going back to the unit selection menu is good for the first setp but after i put my troops in place i dont know which unit is which

it was annoying trying to name one unit in particular because it had no identifier to begin with so i had to choose a unit i thought may be it then goback to preview see i was wrong, go back to unnit menu, etc,

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russellmz:

when in map preview i'd like to be able to choose the options for unit, like vet, reg or shaken, etc. going back to the unit selection menu is good for the first setp but after i put my troops in place i dont know which unit is which

it was annoying trying to name one unit in particular because it had no identifier to begin with so i had to choose a unit i thought may be it then goback to preview see i was wrong, go back to unnit menu, etc,

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent idea. I have the same problem, because I often name units after my friends. (and the enemy units after various teachers, I just used a flamethrower on my Economics professor 10 minutes ago.) What I usually do is give units within a platoon a variety of experience. Then if I want to change a particular unit, I can look for the platoon with a vet HQ, one vet squad, and two reg squads. It isn't anywhere near as good as what you suggested, but it helps.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

What I usually do is give units within a platoon a variety of experience. Then if I want to change a particular unit, I can look for the platoon with a vet HQ, one vet squad, and two reg squads. It isn't anywhere near as good as what you suggested, but it helps.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tep, that's eventually how i went about doing it, i just wanted to name two guys in a platoon and just made the platton leader crack, so it was easy to find them...

i also just remembered, i wish we could name the two leaders in a split squad, not just the sgt.

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show