Peng, I take our Challenger Public..

Sorry I could not help myself-anyhows does anybody have info on the TO&E of the British Armored Recon outfits- I know they used Challengers and Cromwells-but I am getting conflicting info on whether it was common to have Shermans and Cromwells, & Challengers in the Same Armored Division, some sources say yes some say no. Thanks for any info.

"Did you lose my aerial photographs?"

According to Reynolds (1997) an armoured reconnaissance regiment, June 1944

Consisted of:

A HQ squadron and 3 squadrons.

The HQ squadron has 11 Stuarts and 4 AA (Crusader) tanks.

Each squadron has a HQ of 3 Cromwells and 4 troops of 4 Cromwells each.

This applies to all armoured division recon regt. The 7th armoured also had cromwells in it's armoured regiments whereas the others had Shermans.

Challengers were not very common as there were problems with production. As a stopgap units were issued with a proportion of 17pdr Fireflies, I know this occurred for the 7th armoured but I am unsure if it applied to all the armoured reconnaissance regiments. Basically by the time the Challenger production was fixed the Comet was available so the Challenger was scrapped. Very few seem to have actually seen service so at best you would see 1 per cromwell troop by the end of 1944.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chicago Boy:

Sorry I could not help myself-anyhows does anybody have info on the TO&E of the British Armored Recon outfits- I know they used Challengers and Cromwells-but I am getting conflicting info on whether it was common to have Shermans and Cromwells, & Challengers in the Same Armored Division, some sources say yes some say no. Thanks for any info.

"Did you lose my aerial photographs?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You nasty little rodent. If it wasn't for the lovely play on words, I'd release the hounds on you, I would. Alright, lads, nothing to do here, it's a legitimate thread playing on ours, everyone relax and go back to your vilifications.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PawBroon:

Can't we at least vilified him on a strictly benevolent basis?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er...well, PawBroon, yes, but only if you can contribute something towards answering him. If you can't contribute, then leave him alone and vilify him if he ever shows up in the Cesspool.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Nice one... lucky Seanachai chipped in, because my brain doesn't boot up before lunchtime. Challenger... =)

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

Dea Mr Fox Thank you for the reply and since you quote Micheal Reynolds I was wondering if you knew when his new book on the SS Panzer Korps-the Eastern Front is coming out-I have have been perusing the stores in Chicago and no luck yet. Thanks again

Dear Seanachai Thank you for showing mercy to an interloping phillistine such as myself.

And Finally ,

Dear Pawbroon-Thank you as well for the tender mercies but I feel I should save you the time-for I understand, to the Nth degree, the intricacies of benevolent vindicteveness; for you see, Dear readers-I am married.

Cheers from the windy city.

"did you lose my aerial photographs?"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chicago Boy:

Dea Mr Fox Thank you for the reply and since you quote Micheal Reynolds I was wondering if you knew when his new book on the SS Panzer Korps-the Eastern Front is coming out-I have have been perusing the stores in Chicago and no luck yet. Thanks again

Dear Seanachai Thank you for showing mercy to an interloping phillistine such as myself.

And Finally ,

Dear Pawbroon-Thank you as well for the tender mercies but I feel I should save you the time-for I understand, to the Nth degree, the intricacies of benevolent vindicteveness; for you see, Dear readers-I am married.

Cheers from the windy city.

"did you lose my aerial photographs?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem, lad, I just thought I'd chime in before anyone did you or themselves an injury. Kicking this one to the top because I too would like to hear any news about a new Reynolds book. Also, PawBroon has, until the apparent arrival of Scottish auxiliaries of a tender nature, also been subject to his own benevolent vindictiveness. It has, everything else aside, improved his Scottish accent (now there is a freaking scary thought).

------------------

In Jean Bouchery's book, "The British Soldier", Vol.2, here's what he's got:

Cromwell: Used in the Armored Recon Regt of all armored divisions, and all armored regts of the 7th Armored Div

Sherman: Used in the armored regts of the Guards Armored Div and the 11th Armored Div.

Churchills were only used alongside Shermans as part of the British Armored Brigades, NOT in any divisions.....

Hope this helps!

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

this is cute did the cesspool leak? create a new little cesspuddle? hmm some thinks are the same.. Chicago Boy not Germanboy...hmmm naturaly Seanachai made a appearence whats this Pawboohoo made it here as well... ok you slime ridden festering poo poo pants back to the cesspool *prod prod* hmm maybe its like a tumor spreading!! damn Peng! for this I throw him a freek'n smile

smile.gif