Armor: Favorite AFV in Combat Mission

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jgdpzr:

Ed referred to the character played by Randall "Tex" Cobb as the warthog from Hell.

And right you are about the faucet scene from Barton Fink. Wish some of our faucet experts could chime in on the particular hardware being portrayed in the scene. My bet's on Italian origin (perhaps the John Turturro connection?) but I'm a novice at plumbing weaponry identification.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oddly enough, the Coen Bros. first movie, "Blood Simple", also has a climactic faucet seen with Randall "Tex" Cobb. I haven't seen Barton Fink (only Coen film I've missed, btw), but it'd be interesting if they decided to repeat s.t. from an earlier opus.

"Turn to the righhht..."

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

Oddly enough, the Coen Bros. first movie, "Blood Simple", also has a climactic faucet seen with Randall "Tex" Cobb. I haven't seen Barton Fink (only Coen film I've missed, btw), but it'd be interesting if they decided to repeat s.t. from an earlier opus.

I hope others aren't perturbed by the ongoing sidebar about the Coen brothers, but hey, as we can document, they seem to share our fascination with plumbing-related weaponry.

Good recall on that scene from Blood Simple, but I believe the antagonist there was M. Emmitt Walsh, rather than Cobb. BTW, couldn't you just tell from the opening monologue delivered by Walsh in Blood Simple that these boys had a future in the business?

In Barton Fink, the boys examine the plumbing from the other side, so to speak. Definitely see the film. It too is a gem and is their most existential work to date. Interesting note about the film, it was written and I believe mostly filmed during a period in which the writing brother (always forget which) was experiencing a serious case of writer's block while trying to finish Miller's Crossing. In fact, I believe it was finished before Miller's Crossing but because of contractual requirements was shelved until after MC finished its run.

"I'll show you the life of the mind!"--Charlie Meadows

Tiger I for sure.

Preferred tank of German tank aces such as Michael Wittmann, etc. (although he never lived long enough to use the Tiger II in combat as he was killed north of Falaise in Normandy before 501 Panzer Schwere Abteilung was refitted w/ Tiger II's)

Tiger II was way too slow and suffered too many mechanial problems and breakdowns to be an effective tank in mobile warfare. It is a really cool tank though and I can see why many would pick it.

Mikester out.

German : the Panther, probably one of the most terrifying tank of WWII.

Brit : maybe the Comet. I'm impatient to see how this one perform.

US : the Chaffee. Maybe not the ideal tiger-crusher but love its agressive shapes. biggrin.gif

------------------

Venez visiter le seul site consacré à Combat Mission en français : Appui-feu http://appui-feu.panzershark.com

[This message has been edited by Magnus (edited 06-15-2000).]

Hey Bullethead I actually have a KE-GO Type 96 "knee" Wok in the kitchen. My Grandfather, who served in the RAN, brought it home with him after the war. It has a bit of a story to it, I will try to get it out in at least a semi-coherent fashion.

At the time my Grandfather aquired the T96 Wok he was serving in submarines. His submarine had come across a Jap troop ship that was dead in the water. Rather than waste a torpedo the sub surfaced to sink the ship with its deck gun (my grandfather being one of the sailors that serviced the deck gun). Well while they were firing on the troopship my Grandfather witnessed the actions of one Japanese soldier who calmly tied a white rag around his head, picked up his Type96 Wok filled with what appeared to be rice of the Class E variety. The Jap soldier then charged along the deck of the ship and jumped over the side hurling the Wok towards the sub.

The Sub of course was well out of range of such a weapon, even when used in such an unorthodox manner (i.e. throwing). However one unexpected thing occurred, totally against all commonly held opinion of this weapon, the Wok floated and actually drifted to the submarine where my Grandfather lent over the side and picked it up. So thats how a KE-GO Type 96 "knee" Wok ended up in my kitchen.

Oh by the way the Jap soldier drowned seems he couldn't swim.

------------------

IN VINO VERITAS

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jgdpzr:

Good recall on that scene from Blood Simple, but I believe the antagonist there was M. Emmitt Walsh, rather than Cobb. BTW, couldn't you just tell from the opening monologue delivered by Walsh in Blood Simple that these boys had a future in the business?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are, of course, correct: it was indeed the great M. Emmet Walsh in "Blood Simple".

Oddly enough, Ethan Coen was a couple of years ahead of me at college, and I believe "Blood Simple" was his senior thesis. I never met him, unfortunately.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Speedy said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>So thats how a KE-GO Type 96 "knee" Wok ended up in my kitchen<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am envious of your possession of such a relic of history. And congratulations to your grandfather, who showed such bravery in deactivating the floating Type 96. I'm sure his actions save the ship because that Class E rice was a deadly bio-warfare strain apparently developed by Unit 731.

However, we should probably say no more on this subject. I understand your repressive government confiscated the weapons of all the Aussies. Should it be discovered that you have such a dangerous device in your house still, I fear it would be the rack for you frown.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark.

-Flashman

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 06-15-2000).]