Another thread about graphics...

Well, I just finished putting my new system together, and it is sweeeet.

[brag mode]

Athlon 750 running at 1.1 GHz. Inno 3d 64MB GeForce 2 GTS. 19" Iiyama TrueFlat monitor. 128 MB Mushkin 133 RAM.

*I* think CM looks astounding!!

If I knew how to post a screenshot, you would too!

[/brag mode]

Jeff Heidman

"[brag mode]

Athlon 750 running at 1.1 GHz. Inno 3d 64MB GeForce 2 GTS. 19" Iiyama TrueFlat monitor. 128 MB Mushkin 133 RAM."

Wow, drool, slobber... You might well brag smile.gif

But there's hope for us all. I just upgraded my RAM from 64 to 128 MB and my VGA card from 16MB Voodoo2 to 32MB Creative TNT. Eventually the processor will get a leg up too, I hope. I'm playing All or Nothing at the moment, and there's no better scenario to be playing both pre and post-upgrade, because you really see the difference (I gave up playing it the first time round because moving round the map was such a drag). Plus I get to see proper smoke and explosions now too.

A note to BTS: that's only the second time I've upgraded specifically for a particular game. The last time was for European Air War. Good work.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Oh goody, a My Hardware Is Bigger Than Yours thread.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Mr Touchy rolleyes.gif. Actually I thought it was a "CM is so good I upgraded especially for it" thread. The point being that it was Combat Mission that provided the impetus. Something that Fly! and FS2000 didn't manage to do even though my system was crying out for it, being nothing to shout about. Actually it was nothing to shout about a month after I bought it frown.gif.

Guest barrold713

If I hadn't upgraded last December, CM would be a great reason to do it. I still would like to boost some part or other, mostly the video cards, but since it seems like something new gets released every month, I will surely have a wide variety of choices out there.

BTW and just to PO the previous panties-in-a-bundle-guy, I am running a Gateway Destination Big Screen computer with P3-450, 128 MB RAM, 35" monitor, Harman Kardon 6 speaker surround sound (artillery shakes house) system. It has pluses and minuses but sitting back in the comfy chair just seems better than staring into a computer screen at work and at home. I would like to update the video and 3D card (Voodoo 2 16MB) but everything looks pretty good IMMO.

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

Guest barrold713

Because it's there and he can.

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

I've actually spent a heck of a lot of money upgrading my own machine in the past few months, and Combat Mission is one of the greatest benefactors. However, I'm aware that a lot of people can't afford to upgrade, and I was in the same position not so long ago, and that's why I would refrain from boasting about it. Moreover, the voice of those who can't actually afford a computer in the first place isn't heard very loudly here.

By the way, I'm not going for any particular "persona". Neither am I making any judgement on this thread. What I said was an off-hand comment - if I meant any more by it, I would say so.

I would use smilies more often, but maybe I'm just a miserable bastard. =) Damnit, one got through there...

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Moreover, the voice of those who can't actually afford a computer in the first place isn't heard very loudly here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<FONT SIZE="6">?</FONT>

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 09-19-2000).]

I'm one of those people who cannot afford to upgrade... but if I don't like these threads I can just skip 'em! wink.gif

Anyhoo, I'm planning on buying a voodoo 3 card specifically for Combat Mission. It will be the ONLY time I have EVER upgraded for a game... I know it's not much of an upgrade, but still.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

I'm planning on buying a voodoo 3 card specifically for Combat Mission. It will be the ONLY time I have EVER upgraded for a game...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Precisely what and why I did. Now I'm going to buy a great honking computer for the sole purpose of playing CM (and giving mama-san this one, to buy some peace).

I think I'll offer my old 4Mb card for free, to all those who bought CM, and frequent the forum, without a computer. It's the very least I can do. Flash your heliographs to my email address and the first respondent wins. Please include S&H.

AMD T-Bird 800Mhz,

128MB PC-100,

2940 UW SCSI Controller,

4.3GB UW Barracudda Drive(Win2K)

10.3 GBs of ata-33 IDE drive(2 Drives)

20.5 GB Ata-66 WD 7200 RPM drive(Win98)

ASUS A7V

Geforce 2 MX

SB Live

19" KDS monitor

36X SCSI CD-ROM

4x SCSI CD-R

IW Q500-n Full Tower w/300 Watt PS

10/100 Ethernet card

Hooked into a DSL line.

Dual boot between Win2K(Application\Dev) and Win98(Games)

CM looks abosulutley beautiful at 1600X1200X32 smile.gif

Gen

My PC is always a work in progress. It is a hobby, plus coming up with a couple of hundred dollars here and there is a lot easier than $2000 in a big chunk. Next upgrade is the video card, followed by another identical HD and a RAID0 card/configuration.

PIII/550E@733 + Thermaltake Golden Orb cooler

Asus P3V4X (Via 133A chipset)

128MB Mushkin Infineon-based PC133 (CAS2)

Addtronics 6896A case +4 fans (hence the machine's name, "The B-17")

Voodoo 3 3000 AGP

Western Digital 20.5 GB ATA/66 7200rpm HD

SBLive! soundcard

Toshiba 32x CD-ROM

Sony 8x4x32 CD-RW

Viewsonic V75 monitor (it does 85Hz at 1024x768, which is what I really care about, though I am close to stealing my wife's Sony 200ES Trinitron because I prefer the Trinitron tubes)

Cable modem service via Time Warner/RoadRunner (averages about 2 Mbps).

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Athlon 900 Tbird

256MB Ram (PC 133)

2 x 20GB Hard drives

Hucules Geforce 2 GTS 64MB

DVD Drive

CDRW Drive

17' Samsung monitor

Asus A7V motherboard with 200Mhz frontside bus

Soundblaster live Platinum

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"