Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Maybe I am Crazy ....

Guest kevi

I don't cheat and I don't advocate cheating!

In a way you have made my point: timers are merely a convenience for players who already have an agreement. And if they have an agreement, why don't they just also agree to hurry up, since that's all the timer would do.

Only the current file (turn) is affected. (and BTW you can replay that file, if it's not a movement order, until the cows come. If it is a movement order you can't replay it anyway. That's the way the game is designed. It's not cheating.) Whether or not you look at an old file now or later, you still have the time to ponder the development of the game. It seems, therefor that time constraints don't contribute in any significant way to the outcome of the game.

P.S. Please disregard my e-mail

[This message has been edited by TOBRUK (edited 01-17-2000).]

Tobruk ...

I never meant to imply you advocated

cheating. If you got that impression from

my last post I apologize completely

and sincerely.

I hope we can still try an email game.

Best Regards.

- Kevin

Kevi-

Thank You for your kind response. I think I misunderstood you and was overly sensitive.

By all means let's do a PBEM at your convenience. smile.gif

Everyone -

The situation I was referring

to is the guy who replays the

turn after walking into an

carefully planned ambush. It’s the

replaying until the desired

outcome is achieved. This has been

a problem since the early days.

I should have been clearer.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Based on the thread so far it seems

timers would offer some convenience

to some players in online games.

It might not be worth the programing.

But on a larger scale I ask again

(and then lets put this baby to sleep):

Would a time limit option, if used correctly, allow us to simulate a

commander having allocate their time

to key areas of the battlefield and

leave other areas to fight based on

less attention? Again, this would

be optional.

Would they increase excitement or

scenario replay value?

- Kevin

Guest Big Time Software

It is not a bad idea to want to simulate the pressures of command in terms of time. Many a good and bad commander were seperated during some Moment of Truth where the right decision was made in a split second while another sat and did nothing.

However, in a game like CM, not issuing orders to units is in effect unrealistic. SOMONE needs to issue orders to them as no commander on the ground is waiting around for God (i.e. his CO smile.gif) to tell him to do something basic. Something major, perhaps, but CM is made up of a serious of minor moves to acheive a major result. So if you didn't have time to issue orders to a bunch of units they might unrealistically act or not act to a given situation. And it is IMPOSSIBLE for the AI to jump in and fix this lack of orders for a variety of reasons.

So I would say that what you are after is OK, but it is VERY complicated and has MAJOR game ramifications. I know we won't touch this aspect with a 10 foot pole as we are not likely to come up with something we like. We don't have time to waste on things we have little faith we can pull off, now or in the future.

Steve

Thanks BTS;

I think the 'pressures of command' and command communication problems are represented in the game anyway.

In a PBEM I'm playing I issued an order for a tank to come out of hiding and take up a position to confront the enemy. The tank came out of hiding all right, then went in a circle and then buried his cannon in the side of a building, with his back pointed at the enemy, and stopped. I'm waiting patiently for him to get blown away now.

I think he might have been confused by multiple targets. In any case it sure adds an element of uncertainty to the game. Not a bad thing; probably quite realistic. I just hope you programmed it that way, and it's not that the gremlins are after me again. smile.gif