In wargames, especially tactical ones,

it seems nuts to plan say 30 mins

for a 1 min real time turn. I think

having a built-in time clock so players

could agree on the time limit for turns

in email or online battles might be interesting. So say in CM your playing

an email game and you have (in agreement

with the other guy) 5 mins per turn to plot

all units. This would add tension as you think and plan as the clock ticks away. When the time limit is up - no more plotting -

you have to send the file as is. Anyway

is a built-in time clock crazy?

Waiting for CM in NJ - Kevin

Nope not at all I think it is essential. It is highly unrealistic to have an hour to plot a 1 minute turn IMHO. I also believe view of the map should have an optional control that prevents us from moving the camera past our actual front line as we would really be unable to get right up evaluate the terrain that is past our current control ( unless we had had units there prior)

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader....out

Guest BigAlMoho

" In wargames, especially tactical ones,

it seems nuts to plan say 30 mins

for a 1 min real time turn. "

I disagree... If you have 30 units and you put yourself in each one's place to give them orders then one minute per unit is not unreasonable at all... It seems that alot of people think that, in a game like this, they are the overall commander, when in reality they are the leader of each and every small unit... The role of the higher level leader is abstract and secondary...

Al

I put an optional turn timer into TacOps. Making it work properly required hundreds of lines of code scattered throughout the program. Every time I added something new I had to check and make sure that it did not screw up the optional turn timer.

Almost no one used the feature. Therefore it was largely a waste of my development time and sweat.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

Big Al said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I disagree... If you have 30 units and you put yourself in each one's place to give them orders then one minute per unit is not unreasonable at all... It seems that alot of people think that, in a game like this, they are the overall commander, when in reality they are the leader of each and every small unit... The role of the higher level leader is abstract and secondary...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't agree more. This is why using realtime completely scuppers realistic tactics. Realtime places a totally unrealistic command burden on the player, forcing him to ignore some units and tankrush others. A thousand curses on Close Combat! Kudos to BTS for having the courage to stand against the tide of realtime madness smile.gif.

So in a similar vein, we have time limits on turn-based cogitation. The whole point of stopping the flow of time is to give the player a chance to think about what he's doing, so he can keep his units realistically coordinated. And remember that in CM, you need time not only to order units, but to watch the movie from several directions (and probably several times), if for no other reason than to marvel at the coolness of the spectacle wink.gif. So while it's courteous in ICQ games to do your orders fairly quickly, I don't see time limits adding anything to the game. On the contrary, I see the negative effect of causing tactics to degenerate into mob warfare a la the RTS genre.

-Bullethead

Sorry Major But for playability and realism a line should be drawn somewhere and a timer would allow an agreement that is unbreakable between teh opponents. I personnaly donot want to play a competitive style game against an opponent that takes an hour a turn, I dont have that kind of time to burn.

Also your analogy is shortsighted do to the magnitude of this game, if you have 200 units per side and you spend a minute + per unit, cmon that is a bit much smile.gif

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader....out

Al -

Yes I see your point and I concidered that.

The time clock may not work in all

situations and large scenarios require

more planning time. Alloting 1 min of decision making per unit may be a

bit much. That would mean for a

30 unit 30 turn scenario the actual

real time is 60 mins. 30 mins decision

+ 30 mins action. I do not think this

is intended. I ask someone more familiar

with CM if my math adds up. Is the

decision making process(orders)included

or excluded from each 1 min turn?

I think of a clock as an option to add tension as agreed to by the players.

It may also add replay value. Once

terrian, LOS and fire and movement

lanes are well known, the time allotment could be decreased. I think it may

work best for online play to keep

the game moving. Both players can agree

to a generous allotment, but as time the clock ticks it adds tension.

However the Majors comment about

few people using the clock in TACOPS

and trouble with coding has me thinking

if its worth the trouble. I thought it

would be a snap to code.

- Kevin

On further reflection I answered my own question (I think). Since CM is not a real-time sim, then the decision process IS excluded from the one min turn. However,

on player agreement, using a time clock will

help prevent a tactical scenario from becoming an analytical exercise. Descisions in battle are often rushed. I understand the command burden imposed by real-time. But it's interesting to concidered the effect of limiting decision time on wargames, especially tactial ones. I would never mandate limits, just an option.

- Kevin

Guest John Maragoudakis

I have played chess games without a timer where the other player just decided he was not going to move. Granted, CM community would probably included less people like that.

The setup phase requires the most time. I can't see why a turn should require more than 10 min(and that's alot)..15 for an extreme max.At 10 min, I'm including the fact that you will watch the movie about 4 times. I have played enjoyable chess games that I limited the *total* time to 20min.

I agree with BigAlMoho about the fact that we are simulating every squad leader position in the game so 1 min is not enough.

[This message has been edited by John Maragoudakis (edited 01-16-2000).]

If it's not fun, it doesn't matter how realistic (or "reasonable") it is, unless you're using the software for training purposes. What's fun to one gamer is tedious to another. Options and/or agreements are obviously the way to go, but since practical design questions limit options, someone won't get what they want in that area.

The ultimate answer is to have a game which is completely "command/viewpoint customizable" in the sense that you can decide if you want to be an individual grunt in real time (a la Doom) or turn-based, with all levels of realism from (for example) unlimited ammo to realistic supply.....all the way up to a "realistic" Theatre of Operations commander who has nothing but actual maps, intelligence reports, advisors, and political constraints and operates in real time (would require fast foward option for dead time)--or the unrealistic commander who has the "God's eye" view of what's actually happening everywhere at once, and can send direct commands to every unit on the map.

------------------

Max Molinaro

> So, you would feel that "gentleman's agreements" regarding

> time per turn are the way to go Major H?

Yep - that and a chess style timer.

I am almost always in favor of letting the person who paid money for something (i.e. the user) make as many decisions as possible.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

> Sorry Major But for playability and realism a line should be

> drawn somewhere and a timer would allow an agreement that

> is unbreakable between the opponents. I personnaly do not

> want to play a competitive style game against an opponent

> that takes an hour a turn, I dont have that kind of time to

> burn.

Not disagreening ... just passing on my experience.

> Also your analogy is shortsighted do to the magnitude of

> this game, if you have 200 units per side and you spend a

> minute + per unit, cmon that is a bit much

That was not my analogy smile.gif. Besides I wear glasses so my vision is excellent thank you.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

>However the Majors comment about

>few people using the clock in TACOPS

>and trouble with coding has me thinking

>if its worth the trouble. I thought it

>would be a snap to code.

Here is the reason that it is not a snap to code. If the intended purpose of a game timer is to strictly force the player to leave the orders phase then every routine and window/dialog in the program that is used by the player to do some activity during the orders phase is going to have to include code that provides a smooth exit path from whatever it is that the user is doing when the timer kicks in.

Well written programs give the impression that one can easily jump from one activity to another but at the code level things usually pretty much follow an A to Z (and back) path. You typically can not just jump out of the middle of a complex routine/user interface activity by simply branching to a return statement - usually stuff has to be cleaned up and reset on the way out.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

Nothing to apologize for. I seldom take anything that I read on forums personally.

If a developer can't handle public review and criticism unemotionally then how is he going to improve his product?

Besides ... commercial wargaming is supposed to be a recreational activity. Can't have fun if one is constantly getting upset about trivia smile.gif.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

It seems to me that time limits are both impractical and unenforceable. I am currently playing an opponent in Italy (I'm in the US). Because of the time differences there are sometimes large delays in exchanges (we each have to sleep, for example smile.gif ). This gives either player the opportunity to "review" past files and to develope a running analysis and strategy. The time constraints would only make you close the 'current' file but by then you should have anticipated most moves and developed responses.

And since I'm thinking out loud; I sort of enjoy the leisure to analze the game as it developes. Maybe that's why I don't like RTS.

Just some thoughts. smile.gif

I guess I was one of the few people who seemed to use the timer feature in TacOps. Maybe the only one... biggrin.gif

Although I accept the argument that players have to play a number of roles throughout the chain of command, I still think time limits add to a simulation's accuracy. It adds a greater chance of things going wrong, which gives more realistic outcomes. Currently the chain of command always has perfect comms - time limits are one way to simulate the delays, missed orders, etc.

Bear in mind that the time limits don't have to be 1:1 either, nor the same for both players. A two or five or fifteen minute turn might be an approptiate time given the level of experience being simulated.

Personally I like putting in time limits to add additional pressure to the command process. This is something I find challenging, although clearly many people hate it. It was nice to have an option, although I never used it exclusively. It did give the game a different character.

The other situation where I like time limits is when playing online or on a LAN. I once played a TacOps scenario where the Blue player was taking 15-20 minutes a turn while on the defense. It drove me nuts.

As for the coding problems, I didn't realise how much was involved in programming this. I wondered why it seemed to disappear. Now I know. smile.gif

Wow... programming is like magic to me (especially when I see Charles doing it), and I am amazed often how something that seems so easy can end up being so difficult to realise. Makes me appreciate many things I see in Combat Mission and TacOps 3.0 even more.

I personally like time limits (being the quicker intuitive player myself rather than the micromanager), but I don't see why planning times couldn't simply be agreed on by the players. No problem coding it and at the same time no magic cutoff while you're in the middle of processing that last order. Just an opinion.

Everyone:

Happy to see folks evolved in the

discussion. I saw a post this morning

that the BBS was getting dull so

I posed this general idea about

wargames, not just CM.

I do not think turn based games

should have time limits for turns

as default. However, the option

to allow players to select limits

seems interesting. How do you think

it would affect the play of our

games?

I can see some positive things -

like the tension and replay value I mentioned above. Scenario designers

could suggest a time limit based on

playtest results. For example, a small meeting engagement could have shorter

limits than a large set-piece attack

on a bunker complex - fast and furious

vs slow and plodding.

I mentioned "analytical exercise"

above. Combat command is an analytical process that leads to decisions and

orders. That goes w/o saying. However

one can analyze a turn like a geometry

proof given enough time. The time limit option in wargames seems like a addition

or maybe compliment to "fog of war". As

Al mentioned, we can and should be

allowed to be the squad leader of each

unit in our control - by default.

Would a time limit option, if used correctly, allow us to simulate a commander having allocate their time to key areas of the battlefield and leave other areas to fight based on less attention?

I do not think it would result in a

mob attack if used properly.

That's the crux of my question and it's related to wargaimg in general not just CM.

- Kevin

Guest John Maragoudakis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The time constraints would only make you close the 'current' file<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very interesting TOBRUK. So PBEM game timers can be manipulated. You run the game to view and review at your leisure and if the timer runs out, you run the file again and again. When you are ready, you run the 'real' file.

However internet games,(my preference), could not be manipulated that way. I think timers are more important to the player that wants to spend an evening gaming.

PBEM is more for people in different time zones with different scheduals.

Hi John M,

Thanks for the input. I didn't mean (and I'm sure you didn't) to make it seem as if PBEM gameplay was sinister. It's just that it allows one to ponder moves and their consequences. Often some cogitation festering in the back of my mind forces itself to the forefront, and I actually have to go to the computer and run through a test scenario; you know, what if that tank went there? or that squad sneaked over there? could the flank be defended thus-and-so.

Haven't you, like, saved a game at turn 15, say, and run it out one way then go back to turn 15 and run it out another way? A lot can be learned this way. I guess the underlying understanding is that it's a game of strategy, and sometimes the beauty of good strategy needs ferreting out.

Anyway, that's what makes it enjoyable for me. That, and being able to exchange views with good comrads like you.

Thanks for listening. smile.gifsmile.gif

Replaying PBEM files

is a cheat as old as modems.

A timer would only be a convenience

to the players willing to "play by

the rules". Sure after playing a scenario

from both sides straight through I

have played the "what if" game and branched

off at certain points. It saves a lot

of time and speeds up learning. That's

why a timer should not control play

by default.