Warez, Piracy and BTS

As customers and a fans of our great game it is in our best interest to report any form of piracy we encounter on the web. As of this coming Monday I intend to take the following course of action.

On a daily basis I will check some of the Warez sites to see if CM has been pirated.

In the event I find a site that has posted CM for download I will post a message on the forum to alert BTS to check their e-mail. The e-mail will have the URL where CM has been pirated. THE URL WILL NOT BE POSTED ON THE FORUM. I hope the rest of this loyal group of CM fans also keep a close eye on the Warez sites.

BTS, it is certainly not my place to tell you guys how to run your business. I just hope you have a plan of action against any site that tries to copy your hard work. It is in our best interest as customers and fans to try and protect this product. I hope we can win this up coming battle.

sniperscope

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Ok Guys, I hope i do not draw criticism for this.

Unfortunately it is something very hard to stop. Asia has a piracy problem you guys can only dream about. Take China for instance, i can buy any game, or program you care to mention for US 1.00 ! yes one buck, complete with CD Jewel case and a printed inlay card. Thing is, even if i wanted to buy an original game i cannot - stores will not stock them because, well if you can buy it for a buck next door no-one is gonna buy the original. Chinese workers are generally on a very low income and they will not pay international duty paid prices. So what is a man to do? I love games, hate piracy, but if i wanna play games i must buy pirate stuff.

Mail order is no good because you never know if its going to get here at all and not worth the risk.

Combat Mission is the first Original game i have purchased in the last 4 years (since working here), mainly because a kind PBEM opponent has ordered an extra copy for me and i will collect it in Hong Kong. Probably what will save CM from Asian pirates is the fact that it is only available from BTS and not in the retail stores worldwide, and maybe because its a wargame as they are not so popular in Asia.

Chinese authorities sieze millions of pirate software every year and destroys them - but its the tip of the iceburg, Russia, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong and China have huge pirate factories churning out the stuff. I will also let BTS know if i see any here, although if Microsoft cannot do anything about it i doubt if anyone can.

Anyway i am very happy to support BTS and buy the original game, even though there is a chance i could wait a few weeks and pick one up for less than the price of a Big Mac. It will still be the best value game in my very considerable collection!

I am looking forward to it very much.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Actually guys, the less you talk about warez here and CM the better it will be. If CM gets posted on a Russian Cheness web sites there is nothing Battlefront cand do about it and the bad thing will actually be you will post the URL to the site ...

So the less people know the better it will be ...

Peter

US$ 1 for a game?? :-o

Here in Brazil you can get basically any software, but you will have to buy it for around US$7 (seven bucks).

I think CM will be hard to find, but I dont care, I already pre-ordered in January.

Epée

This is why pay to play games such as EQ and UO are attracting such huge interest from publishers. They have no piracy as you need a credit card to play.

UO is the most profitable game in EA's history. Thats why the industry all wants a peice of that pie. They have worked out just how much money you make with zero piracy. Piracy and Retailers huge cuts have encouraged game publishers to go for pay to play. Personally I have no problem with it, I dont want my favourite developers to go bust due to piracy. If that means theives around the world dont get to play games then thats just too bad.

_dumbo

IMHO if piracy continues what will happen is all games will be internet-based only like UO and you'll pay by the day or session or whatever. There are already alot of internet-based business apps. This is not necessarily a bad thing as you could then play from anywhere!

Just a thought while I'm waiting for the mailman.

If they charged like 10 cents an hour to play some games, it would be a steal. Some games you only want to play for about an hour. Others games like CM will be played for months if not years. And I would hate to have to pay everytime I used it.

OUt,

Phandaal.

Maybe someone removed my earlier post but in it, I basically said that your patrolling warez sites, although with every good intention, will do nothing to stop pirates from getting CM to China. It's very easy and all the CDs we get here are pirated. Warez sites are generally used by cable modem / DSL users in the USA and they matter very little in the piracy 'game'.

Anyway, good luck and just don't give your copy to anyone smile.gif

------------------

----

If these walls could talk

they probably wouldn't say much. The wallpaper is made in Taiwan.