Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CM in April PC Gamer

CM makes another cameo in William Trotter's column this month. Actually, there are two:

-----------

"The reason I refuse to get torqued-out about this state of affairs (the demise of large dedicated wargame companies) is that I cannot remember a better time for wargamers since the Golden Age of boardgames in the seventies. A quick finger count lists the following excellent new titles currently available: Combat Mission, Horse and Musket, TacOps 3.0..."

"Anyone who has seen Combat Mission or Smolensk '41 can testify: these games are both beautiful and playable."

-----------

FWIW, you might wink.gif notice that he says "currently available."

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion www.siteonsound.com

[This message has been edited by RobVarak (edited 03-06-2000).]

It appears that the Big Companies have out bid their product with glitz, costs and competition as opposed to quality. Quality is not derived from ambition, but from the intensity of the love of the product. That is something bean counters too often scorn and crush. Any institution run by bean counters tends to suffer. Yeah, beans are required in the mix, but too often the Beano is left out. Then the other ingredients, overwhelmed and reduced, pass unnoticed borne along in an overwhelming stink, So of course the product loses popularity.

[This message has been edited by Bobb (edited 03-07-2000).]

EXACTLY, Microprose got bought out by Hasbro, a much larger organization. Microprose used to be all about quality, now, most of it's games run on pure eyecandy. Really, they must make many more sales due to "it looks good" over that of "replayability" or actual "quality". Eventually, computer games will become so "easy" (relative term) to create, promote and sell that you no longer need a big corporation. And these smaller groups tend to actually WANT to create what they are creating, instead of being assigned to build a project that they have no previous knowledge of, or care too much about reality (just get their paycheques!)

I'm worried about that happening to one of my favorite "little" companies. Fasa. They designed the Battletech board game and the Mechwarrior series. A few months ago they where bough out by Microsoft but so far so good.

------------------

The names Ash, Housewares

Well, I hear that Mechwarrior IV will actually be designed by

Fasa itself. So this should make for the best Mechwarrior game

ever. smile.gif It's due out at the end of the year.

I would kill for a game like Mechcommander but turn-based instead

of real-time with all the detailed combat options that the tactical

boardgame has. I think that

real-time ruined the game, it took away all the minute tactical

control that is so important to a Battletech wargame. Turn-based

rules for games like Battletech. What I want is a game engine like

the one used in Jagged Alliance II but for Battletech. smile.gif