I'll pre-order if...

The best way to minimize piracy is to make your product widely available at a price your target users are willing to pay.

BTS has a good position.

- It is VERY common today to have internet access. So ordering on-line is acceptable.

- Ordering online avoids the problem where your local gaming store does not carry, or is sold out of CM.

- The price is reasonable. (it would be better in Canadian dollars! smile.gif after exchange I'm expecting to pay $65 Cdn.)

The Gold Demo could be a problem.

IMO, the Beta demo has TOO much functionality. The CM Beta demo is the best game I've played in years!! If the Gold demo is anything like the Beta it will be hard to justify buying the full version...Not because I do not like the game, but because $65 Cdn is a lot to pay for "a bit" more functionality.

...Dalton

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dalton,

----------------

IMO, the Beta demo has TOO much functionality.

because $65 Cdn is a lot to pay for "a bit" more functionality.

----------------

Someone thought the same thing after the beta demo came out, the answer now is the same as then...

Your kidding, right smile.gif

If the gold demo is about the same size and scope as the beta demo it will cover only a fraction of the full game.

Two (?) fixed scenarios containing a minute percentage of all the units in the full game.

A game that will ship with a bucketful of scenarios (soon to be hundreds of user made ones) and sports a heavy duty editor and DYO scenario engine. Weather effects, seasons, nights...

etc etc etc etc etc etc...

M smile.gif

P.S. etc etc...

LOL Dalton.

I think you horrendously underestimate the scope of CM wink.gif.

Fog, heavy fog, night, day, rain, twilight, dawn, clear day, overcast, snow, heavy snow (environmental effects both visual and aural for each of these).

Many scores more vehicles than you'll see in the gold etc etc etc. I think it'll be relatively easy to "justify" buying the gold as the gold demo will only be a tiny fraction of the game.

Ps. If the gold only contains 2 countries then you must realise you'll be missin out on about 4 other Allied countries. Kind of puts things in perspective.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dalton:

- It is VERY common today to have internet access. So ordering on-line is acceptable.

- Ordering online avoids the problem where your local gaming store does not carry, or is sold out of CM.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to disagree with you on this point. I know quite a lot of people without internet access. Almost everyone I know does not know anything about CM (not even that there is such a game). If I see a game at my local gaming store and it looks promising, I might as well buy it. I can't do that if it isn't there.

Just because few people without internet access visit the forum, you can't tell that there aren't any. And BTS will most likely not sell any copies to those even if those people would like the game. They just don't have a lobby.

Plus, as I've stated previously, not everybody has a credit card nor is everyone willing to order a game over the net. (It's not unlikely that I will be one of them).

That does not mean that I will pirate a copy from somewhere, but I will stick to my principles (As it seems, mine are more restrictive than Steve's).

Raising my voice for those under-representated people on this forum,

Dschugaschwili

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

LOL Dalton.

I think you horrendously underestimate the scope of CM wink.gif.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

smile.gif Now I know I definitely CAN'T get the full version.

My girlfriend wouldn't stand for it! wink.gif

Fionn, thanks for the reminder of what all is included in CM! I still stick by my statement that the Beta demo is the best game I've played in years - even without the full feature set & chrome.

...Dalton

Guest Kettle Black

To Dschugsomething and others.

Just to clear up a misconception I myself was guilty of.

You do not need a credit card to buy Combat Mission. Go to your local bank/post office and send an IMO (International Money Order)to Battlefronts address.

Payments between countries actually was possible before the net you know wink.gif

I paid by IMO and I received confirmation from BTS when the check arrived. Last week I bought a more expensive piece of equipment from a company in NJ and paid by IMO too. I do have a credit card (now, not when I ordered) but I am reluctant to send that kind of info over the net. I still can shop on the net though, almost all companies accept IMO as payment, and it's as secure as you can get.

This said, I think it would be a good idea for BTS to offer this info on the "Order" page.

Kettle Black

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

I know quite a lot of people without internet access. Almost everyone I know does not know anything about CM (not even that there is such a game). If I see a game at my local gaming store and it looks promising, I might as well buy it. I can't do that if it isn't there.

Just because few people without internet access visit the forum, you can't tell that there aren't any. And BTS will most likely not sell any copies to those even if those people would like the game. They just don't have a lobby.

Plus, as I've stated previously, not everybody has a credit card nor is everyone willing to order a game over the net. (It's not unlikely that I will be one of them).

That does not mean that I will pirate a copy from somewhere, but I will stick to my principles (As it seems, mine are more restrictive than Steve's).

Raising my voice for those under-representated people on this forum,

Dschugaschwili<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy this thread gets better and better.

Those people without internet access usually dont have computers either. There are computer magazines around the world so they might see an ad or interview or something though.

Many if not all people without internet access never visit the forum and I think its a shame. As a yankee fan I loved Yogi Bearra.

Lewis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kettle Black:

To Dschugsomething and others.

Just to clear up a misconception I myself was guilty of.

You do not need a credit card to buy Combat Mission. Go to your local bank/post office and send an IMO (International Money Order)to Battlefronts address.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for this info. I remember having seen something like that on the pre-order page some time ago, but didn't remember until you posted it. I still won't order the game at least until the gold demo comes out.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I do have a credit card (now, not when I ordered) but I am reluctant to send that kind of info over the net.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to see I'm not alone here. smile.gif

To Username:

I won't continue this debate any longer, but what I said here still stands. I'm just talking from my experience. Yours may very well be quite different.

Dschugaschwili

PS: By the way, what's so difficult about my name? Nobody seems to be able to spell it. wink.gif

• 2 months later...

With reference to the CoLCoolJ download to Australia situation I suggested "humbly" on 04-10-200 that there would be a few like colin who would know how and where to find this game to download it online,

I'll bet he would not have done what he did if he could have got his original game faster or at the same time as all those that got theirs in the the U.S.

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps if he also possessed a modicum of moral courage he would have reported the site and left it at that.

“Unfortunately Mr Keay your Lotus sports car will require 6 months to arrive in country, may I suggest in lieu of your impatient character you comb thru the black market and locate a stolen one until your factory fresh one arrives.”

No damage other than providing the demand for stolen cars.

Guest Big Time Software

The day we change our business plan to cater to people who steal what isn't rightfully theirs is the same day I quit this industry for good.

Steve