the effectiveness of the 88 flak

1st, has anyone seen the supposely flak gun raise its barrel up to target the incoming enemy aircraft in the game? 2ndly, for a defensive position, I will take a row 5cm PaKs, line them up in the front line rather than a couple 88 flak on a hill back 500 meter. The 88 is just too vulnerable due to its high profile and slow ROF. thoughts?

The 88 flak was never designed to shoot at low flying ground attack fighters. Its rof is too slow and the fighters would be too fast. Its best kept way back from the front line 700metres+ Thats where it really shines with its high destructive power and long ramge accuracy.

Miaiha,

5cm PaK's are nice, but worthless against bigger tanks.

If Churchill comes down the road, you'd just lose all them guns.

Kiwi,

I don't find 88 shining very much from far. With something like

20% chance to hit, the ambushed tank is likely to reverse to safety.

After that, it takes about a minute before mortars have KO'd the 88.

88 shines from a pillbox or from a Tiger.

If 88mm Flak cannon's weren't intended to shoot at aircraft why are they called Flak cannons? I'm sure that I've seen footage of batteries of 88's in Berlin shooting at B-17s.

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

Colin,

That is really what he was saying. They were intended to shoot at bombers ect... but not a low, fast flying jabo's. Rate of fire is not good for this. For jabo work you need a lot of lead in the air.

I find placing them in the mid range and using them in ambushes works best. 700 meters is way to far for me to let them loose. I prefer to hold them until the target is about 400 meters or so.

Of course I suck at this game so you have to take my comments with a grain of salt. smile.gif

Just my .02

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

Jarmo,

You are right about the heavy break though tank tactic. But my PaK is intended to ambush the sherman right behind the Churchill . For a few MG42s, all the incoming armor will be forced to button up. There goes all the shermans. I had a game which had an averge of 4:1 tank kill with only 5 5cm PaKs.

But it would still be cool if they could shoot at Jabos. I assume they would have better optics to aquire targets at long range. It would be interesting anyway

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:

If 88mm Flak cannon's weren't intended to shoot at aircraft why are they called Flak cannons? I'm sure that I've seen footage of batteries of 88's in Berlin shooting at B-17s.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you may not have picked up that Flak comes in two types, light and heavy. Light Flak is like a machine gun on steroids, automatic, sometimes multi-barrel, and in sizes from 20mm calibre ('shell' diameter), to about 40mm. This was the type of weapon on Saving Private Ryan. Effective against aircraft below 5000', and lethal against infantry, if they don't shoot the gun crew first. Can destroy tanks, but only from rear, lucky shots, or demoralising the crew. Heavy

flak is generally single shot, rapid loading, high velocity artillery, in calibres from 75mm to 125mm or more. These have effective altitudes of 30000ft or more, but are not much good vs low, fast targets. The two types tend to be used for different purposes, light flak for point defense, say

an airfield, or units in the field, heavy flak for air defense of cities etc.

Sorry for the lecture, but just cut and stuck a reply I did earlier!

------------------

The conception of such a plan was impossible for a man of Montgomery's innate caution...In fact, Montgomery's decision to mount the operation ...[Market Garden] was as startling as it would have been for an elderly and saintly Bishop suddenly to decide to take up safe breaking and begin on the Bank of England. (R.W.Thompson, Montgomery the Field Marshall)

I'd like to mention that I only just realized the 88 PaK is a much

better tank killer.

Still, does anyone else feel they're overpriced?

You can get a tank destroyer with 88 for the price of 88.

Of course there's the ambushing thing, but still...

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression German 88's didn't have proximity fuses for anti-air work, relying on timed fuses. If that's the case they would be totally useless against maneuvering aircraft. They're meant for use against high altitude formations of bombers.

Yes, low visibility is good. But once the gun is spotted, it's dead.

Any mortar will kill it in a minute.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?