Corrupted Forum User accounts

Guest Big Time Software

Guest Big Time Software

A few unfortunate soles might have lost their accounts if a post was made while the BBS was going down for the count. If you are one of the lucky few, and really want your original username and email address... send me an email from the email account you used to register, along with a password, and I will hack together something for you.

Dang, this server management stuff is fun wink.gif

Steve

We few, we lucky few ...

nah, thanks anyway Steve, but I'll just soldier on with my super-secret new username ... cool.gif

Jon

--------------------------------------

%&@ the artiste formerly known as JonS

[This message has been edited by Jon_S (edited 05-30-2000).]

After seeing posts about people losing screen names I was going to post something but I'll post it here in reply to Steve's message.

When the board went down at the end of January, a bunch of us had to re-register. Luckily I got my old screen name, but lost my cherished member status and a count of my 340 odd posts.

I see that it has happened to some other poor souls over the weekend.

The way to avoid this: DON'T POST WHILE THE SYSTEM IS DOWN!

Jason

Guest Big Time Software

Well, I finally figured out how to rebuild the username *if* the person provide me with the password and the original email used. But I can't bring back post counts and other tailored info.

What happened was you made a post when the server was full, but the scripts still work. So they said "hey, gotta update that all important post counter in the dude's user file" and so goes to write the file. The problem is that UNIX is so powerfull (inside joke smile.gif) that it feels no need to double check disk space before writing. So the file is writen out to disk, but with 0k written into the file. Thus wiping out your user file.

Fun stuff frown.gif

Steve

Aww heck, I was getting bored with my username anyway wink.gif

Got a new one instead.

------------------

Geier, formerly Kettle Black.

"The succesful execution of a well devised plan often looks like luck to saps."

Dashiell Hammett

yup

I was one of the people who was persistant and tried to post while it was down (I too suffered withdrawl syptoms while the server was down)

thanks for all the dilegence to bring fully back to life

So I WAS a member with many many posts and

now I'm just a junior member frown.gif

oh well

-tom w rides again

Well, I was wanting to change my name anyway. Thought of a cool one over the weekend after seeing "Gladiator" Saturday night.

Thing is, I'm not gonna tell you who I was. But I had nearly 850 posts I think.

------------------

"While stands the Collosseum, Rome shall stand.

When falls the Collosseum, Rome shall fall.

And when Rome falls -- the World."

**Byron**