D DAY pics

From the above site:

"German 88mm Anti-Aircraft (AA) gun. With the addition of an armoured shield to protect the gunners, it was also used in the anti-tank role. As such it was the best of its type at the time, to the extent that it was fitted as main armament in German Tiger and Panther tanks in the last years of the War."

Man this guy is an expert!! Cool pics though.

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by Colin (edited 03-08-2000).]

Uh, at the risk of sounding ignorant, what's wrong with that statement exactly? Is it that they used it in the AT role before it was equiped with a shield? I seem to remember that it was used as is (was) for awhile and then modified to be more of an AT gun.

I just know I'm gonna be one of the guys who will pick out the faults of future games (not made by S&C) and not play them despite the fact they are fun. Is it actually the L/70? I'm pretty sure it is because the JPz IV used it, I beleive, and I think think they took it from the panther. Well I know the original JPz IV did.

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

Guest KwazyDog

Actually you know, he could have been refering to the JagdPanther smile.gif, though it did use a different gun from the 88 Flak. Also the planned Panther II used the 88 as well.

I believe the only vehicle to use the 88 flak in its origional form (with some small modifications) as its AT gun was the Tiger, could be wrong though smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 03-08-2000).]

Guest KwazyDog

But the SturmTiger dosnt use an 88 wink.gif

Aww, I was just trying to give the poor guy a break. smile.gif

Actually I found then quite interesting. He probably knows little about German WW2 vehicles and read somewhere that they were used on Tigers and JagdPanthers and no knowing what the hell the Jagd part ment just wrote them down as Panthers.

Life goes on....... smile.gif

Guest KwazyDog

Hehe, I would be board but I havnt had time to be in oh, the last 8 months or so. smile.gif

I wonder if we are the only two still reading this thread Colin, my guess is yes wink.gif

LOL. Colin becomes a grognard eh?

Ok, well I don't normally point out historical errors on webpages etc but for the purposes of teaching Colin I'll make an exception.

Take a VERY close look at the tank which he has labelled as a Tiger.. He says something about its fearsome 88. Now look at the front turret of a Tiger and look at the front turret of a late Pz IV wink.gif.

There are about 3 more major mistakes on the page apart from the tank mislabelling and gun mislabelling also.

It is an interesting page for casemate pictures though.