Wargames are long and dull

Thats what I used to think anyway, I am an impatient 15 year old kid who thought he hated wargames. But, when I saw your game on your website, I thought I would give it a try. When it came, I loaded and played it. I had the best time on a computer game I have ever had. It wasn't that I hated wargames, it was just I couldn't really see what was happening on most of them. I love this game! I just wanted to thank everyone who worked on this game, for opening my eyes to a new game genre. Thanks!

Muldune

I started wargaming at the age of 15. We're talking the days of Pong and Asteroids here. We used 1/285 scale die cast models, painted lichen for trees, grey foam for smoke, Styrofoam for hills and a pingpong table for a map. I have to say CM is way cooler.

You should pick up a book or two on WWII. You'll appreciate the game even more.

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

"Once a Diceman, Always a Diceman."

I've been into strategy games since the golden era of CBM64 (not that they were any good back then) and what applied then does today. Wargames/strategy games last much longer than action games. When you get used to the fancy gfx of all the new games without any substance you're back to your old CM, Civilization, CC2 etc.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullethead:

"Wargames are long and dull"

So are 2-handed swords...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that true? Or rather, was it true in the Middle Ages when they were used as weapons of actual war? I can well imagine that re-enactors would use dulled weapons.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by howardb:

I've been into strategy games since the golden era of CBM64...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[old codger voice]

Why, back in my day, sonny, we didn't even have computers. Yep, had cardboard counters on paper maps. Sometimes even had to mount our own counters and cut them out. Had to figure out the odds in my own head too. Got pretty good at doing sums, heh heh heh. Yessirree, them's was the Golden Age of wargaming...[sighs reminiscently]

[/old codger's voice]

biggrin.gif

Michael

Yep, the swords were dull. After marching/riding a few weeks/months/years throughout the terrain, any large iron blade was likely to dull, no matter how well taken care of. It was estimated that in a battle, a fresh blade could only be swung 10-20 times before it lost its edge. This often lead to battles where the wieght of the sword counted more for cracking bones or armor than dull blade did for cleaving flesh.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

[old codger voice]

Why, back in my day, sonny, we didn't even have computers. Yep, had cardboard counters on paper maps.... Yessirree, them's was the Golden Age of wargaming...[sighs reminiscently]

[/old codger's voice]

biggrin.gif

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to go soak my teeth now. wink.gif

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

"Once a Diceman, Always a Diceman."

[This message has been edited by Diceman (edited 09-23-2000).]

[old codger voice]

Why, back in my day, sonny, we didn't even have computers. Yep, had cardboard counters

[/old codger's voice]

biggrin.gif

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(In toothless old codgers voice)

Why you cheeky young bastard. We would have killed for cardboard counters in my day. We played wargames w/ rocks. You threw em at eachother... and if you got hit you were dead. Cardboard.....hmph. Maps...Foowie. Computers...hah! Young no-good, know-nuthin whippersnappers!

------------------

I'm sorry, we haven't the

facilities to take all of you prisoner. Was there anything else?

Thermo said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Yep, the swords were dull. After marching/riding a few weeks/months/years throughout the terrain, any large iron blade was likely to dull, no matter how well taken care of. It was estimated that in a battle, a fresh blade could only be swung 10-20 times before it lost its edge. This often lead to battles where the wieght of the sword counted more for cracking bones or armor than dull blade did for cleaving flesh.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With a 2-hander, the dullness was actually designed into them--they never were sharp. They were used more like a bayonetted rifle than a baseball bat. That is, you put 1 hand on the hilt and the other (gloved of course, but still...) on the blade itself out near the tip. Then you used it for clubbing, prying, poking, and deflecting using the same moves still taught to riflemen today.

Only when you knocked somebody down did you switch to the Paul Bunyan grip and swing the thing with both hands on the hilt. Then the weight of the sword, combined with the full strength of a strong man, would concentrate enough energy on the small impact area of the dull blade to severe body parts and cleave armor.

------------------

-Bullethead

Visit the brand new Raider Operations message board at www.delphi.com/raiderops

Main site www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

[old codger voice]

Why, back in my day, sonny, we didn't even have computers. Yep, had cardboard counters on paper maps. Sometimes even had to mount our own counters and cut them out. Had to figure out the odds in my own head too. Got pretty good at doing sums, heh heh heh. Yessirree, them's was the Golden Age of wargaming...[sighs reminiscently]

[/old codger's voice]

biggrin.gif

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(young guys voice):

You had to mount your own counters?!! Wow, some people will do anything to simulate riding on a WWII vehicle...lol Why didn't you just go to your local zoo and ride a llama or something? smile.gif

------------------

Thanks for Athskin!

[This message has been edited by Grognerd_Fogman (edited 09-23-2000).]

Guest Lord General MB

Soldier,

Muldune: You have been asimulated! Ahh... the CM borg never misses his mark!

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grognerd_Fogman:

(young guys voice):

You had to mount your own counters?!! Wow, some people will do anything to simulate riding on a WWII vehicle...lol Why didn't you just go to your local zoo and ride a llama or something? smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smart-aleck! Keep that up and I'm liable to come over there and mount you! Hmpf!

Grumpy Old Fart

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitty:

What's borg? Is it a dessert topping? Non-dairy creamer? What? =/

Kitty<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

( Schugger, witout teeth)

Well, thaff fhe way how newcommerf are welcomed to fhe board. You hafe been affimilated into the FM community. Many of uf who have not been affimilated yet are difguifing af old fartf, af Borgf feem to fink we are not worff to be affimilated into feir hive.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitty:

What's borg? Is it a dessert topping? Non-dairy creamer? What? =/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er... you don't watch much Startrek, do you? smile.gif

The Borg was (is?) an alien culture which assimilates all its members into a greater ah... mental community (someone with a better knowledge of english please help me out here!) That is, all memebers are physically individuals, but share the same mind, so to speak.

Hawk

Oh, and welcome to the CM community, Muldune!

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!

[This message has been edited by Hawk (edited 09-24-2000).]

Yeah it's a sure sign of adulthood when a youngin tosses his first handgrenade. No need for that old Zebco fishing reel now. Welcome to the big sandbox son. smile.gif

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 09-24-2000).]

To follow up on Muldane's first point.....

I've been playing war games a while now (abt. 17 years)and CM just blows me away!! When I played wargames in the past I always felt "distanced" from my troops, war was more "strategic" than exciting -- like chess--(not to knock chess)--but with CM....I get this visceral excitment watching the playbacks, get hooked into the "stories" and little battles of particular troops, more than once, when one of my shermans got brewed I banged so hard on the desk I scared the pets out of the room.

[sigh]I guess it time to be honest with myself. I too am newly hooked... assimilated...I...well...[gulp] My name is Oompa...and I'm a CMholic!! [sniff, small sob] I'll just sit down again and listen. smile.gif

------------------

Do not needlessly endanger your lives until I give you the signal"

Dwight D. Eisenhower