Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

The ultimate VoT thread (spoilers welcome)

Guest aaronb

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Splinty:

bunker on Hill 209 is killing me<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smoke it, get behind it with any kind of infantry or afv, and kill it (the steel door in the back is vulnerable to direct HE or grenades/satchel charges). Otherwise, stay out of it's LOS. There are lots of hills to hide behind, and a quick smoke mission can get you through the open areas.

Played VoT SOOO many times whilst waiting for full version to arrive I decided it was time to see if I could use the FT to some affect.

After a rather lucky hit on the AT bunker with some Cunningly targeted 105's biggrin.gif.My Sherm 105's made mincmeat out of the remaining mg nests and the 150mm gun(that thing still scares me when it opens up).After the rest of the Sherms arrived I advanced towards the Left of the Village suppressing/killing any thing that stuck its head up, all the while carfully sneaking my Ft up the map.

About the time the pather showed up and my Sherms had bounced several shots of it's glasis I had managed to sneak my FT along with a Inf squad over the road and into one of the small buildings on the outskirts of the village.

By this time one of my 105's and the 76 had been 'brewed up' and were burning happily.

Enough..

I laid cover with the infantry squad and charged (walked really) the Ft out of the building right smack bang into an unseen mg 42 and squad of infantry. Did the FT run? No !

It opened up on the Mg42 and squad they ran into the nearest building, the FT then torched the Building forcing them to vacate that.(they died in a hail of infantry fire)

Then the Panther who had decided it was time to finish of the rest of my armour came over the crest and was promptly cooked by the FT.

It was so cool to watch. biggrin.gif

I love this game.

Played VoT twice as amis and once as germans. I think I learned quite a lot by it. Like:

Ambushes are somewhat not very effective without C&C (LMG and infantry squad both panicked and broke after first contact)

Flank attacks can save the day.

Pillboxes should be opened by the back door.

First time the Panther appeared, I was in follow mode on a Sherman, viewpoint 1, with headset on (didn't want to wake wife). The violent transformation of my tank into a fireworks show really scared the crap out of me. I never saw where that came from.

The scenario didn't come with my full game. Should it? And are there other pre-gold demo scenarios that were excluded from the full game? And where can I find them?

C.

as the germans against the allies (at 100% above normal) the question was how to guard my lone 150mm cannon -essentially as soon as

it opens up it has about 2 minutes before it

is toasted by artillery (unless you can eliminate all the FOs)

So dueling is out....I did place it on the

German left flank and when the allies finally were breaking through the platoon on the left, it opened fire and saved the day but then died about 2 minutes later...

Another time it engaged armor at close range

it hit one and killed it but then it died soon thereafter...

Thinking back as the first scenario I played with CM was VoT. I pushed everything on the flanks, and I didnt know about smoke then, it was a glorious charge on the side w/o the tanks, I was surprised that as many got through the hail of gunfire, then the panther appeared, man did he really screw the pooch, luckily I got a Engineer squad close enough to knock him out.

Nowadays I just push the flanks , smoke the right (from the american perspective) with the 105's sitting on that big hill as overwatch, seems to work fairly well. Only time it messes up is when one of the 105's doesnt survive the duel with the AT bunker.

Game just came in the mail today, woot, new scenarios!! Can't wait!

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki