Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

bloody darn bloody german tanks

Ok, heres the thing. In the demo mission "chance encounter" (which I have played 2.3 million times) I can not get my darn StuG IIIG's to destroy the five American Shermans. I carefully hunt up a hill near the forest and thent he Stugs engage the enemy. Of course the first few shots of my stuge miss and the shermans usually hit me on the first or second shot. This is crazy, and this problem is ruining my life. I can not figure out how to use these worthless tanks. Can anyone help me? How did you use the stugs?

------------------

General Goerge

Guest *Captain Foobar*

I use the Stugs as a team, making sure that they have an almost identical Field of View.

You have to approach slowly, under a covered approach(not in full view) and take on the Shermans on eat a time.

So 2 stugs pull up together side by side to the right of the church, back 100m, and the other Stug guards your left flank.

Never try to come over a hill at Shermans, with a Stug. You HAVE to let them come to you. Unfortunately against a human opponent the Stug can be almost useless, because most PBEM-ers know it would be suicide for you to approach them, and they can sit back and hold you at bay w/o doing much.. frown.gif

But they have a good gun, and rarely is their hit NOT a kill.. smile.gif

I use a different approach. I split up my Stugs and use them to flank the enemy.

One goes behind the church, one close to the central flag behind the IV line and the other way off on the opposite side of the map across the road tucked into the treeline also behind an IV line.

As the situation develops I pop them up, usually one at a time, and as the tanks turn to face the firing stug I pop out another on the flank or better yet a grill door shot.

Just make sure your stugs pop up fire and roll back all in one turn. Also not popping up in the same spot each time helps.

Good luck

I always thought that scenario would have been better with PzkwIVs instead of Stugs. Maybe I'll change it in the editor and see.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Guest *Captain Foobar*

I would like that scenario with one Panther, get rid of the Stugs altogether, and throw away a whole company of the infantry for 1 veteran platoon.

The STuG's do seem a bit weak. I have on several occations placed them all on the left map edge, and fast run them up to the woods. Then deployed them all close to each other facint to the east with nice LOS to the locations the american tanks should show up.

Most times i will end up with 3 dead StuG's and only get one of the american tanks. Part of the problem is that the stugs take time to blast the infantry, even if they are far far away. The command to set infantry engagment ranges or priorities is needed, but i think that is allready talked about in another thread. It makes no sense that a tanker would switch to HE and fire at a single man left over from a MG squad 500 meters away if he saw and fire the round before at a Sherman more to the left that duck behind the woods. But like i said, i belive that there is allready some coding in progress to improve this.

I used to line up all three Stug's to the left of the church ( towards the mapedge) facing the treeline with the American flag and wait for the shermans to attack down the road. I'd place my infantry in the '0ther' forest to attract the Sherman's fire.After the first 1 - 2 Shermans caught one in the backside (depending on where they broke through) I'd reverse the Stug's towards the church to avoid infantry fire. An artillery barrage into the treeline certainly helps ! Then I'd just wait for the Shermans to crest the hill/treeline. There is not enough room for more than two/three Shermans to advance at once. Correct me if I'm wrong. This should give the Stug's a fighting chance.

A Panther would be nice, though... smile.gif

Parking a couple StuGs behind the church in this one works well for me... Just fast move a couple of your tanks behind the church, it's a nice little hiding spot where you can cover the wheat fields and back into difilade if necessary. I like to give a SMG squad and Panzerschreck team a ride to the church in the beginning of the game, too. They can help cover your flank against tank or infantry advance if you plan on staying behind the church for a while.

[This message has been edited by Jinkeez (edited 10-03-2000).]

I've been successful a couple of times with this strategy. I take the 3 Stugs and line them up behind the forest to the right, out near the left edge, so that they are out of sight of the road, but can quickly roll in to engage. I keep most of my infantry in this forest also, with a scattered few hiding in the woods behind and around the church. Then I keep it quiet...real quiet, and let those shermies come right on down by the church. Typically by this point, the shermans find some poor kraut to launch HE shells and .50 cal at, so they are occupied slaughering helpless old men and children squads. At this time I roll the first Stug out from behind the forest, keeping behind the hill (so that the sherman which undoubtedly moved down the road by the wheatfield can't see me) and am able to engage 1 - 3 shermans broadside from a range close enought that I get mad kills. Then reverse him back to cover. I set the other 2 stugs to ambush the road, right where it clears the hill. At this point, the odds are fairly even and if the shermans won't take the bait and come down the road, you lather rinse and repeat. Has always worked well to take out most or all of the Shermans. And once you have a numerical or tactical edge, use all 3 to support each other and attack from a few different angles.

Take all three Stugs, and carefully crest the hill with the "Hunt Command" next to the large forest on your right. Chances are, all three Stugs will have LOS to a couple of Shermans. Hull down Stugs are very difficult to hit, and at that range there is the possibility, albeit small that the Shermans may bounce a few. On top of that, you are firing down at them, which minimizes the slope of their armor.

In tank battles, it is important to have your vehicles operate as a team. If you can routinely engage one or two of the enemy with three or more of yours, you should pick them off piecemeal, as you will be trading shots 3 to 1.

[This message has been edited by Cueball (edited 10-03-2000).]