Lets talk about the inside of TacOps 4

Magnum MGG

First off, Let me say I got the full version and love this game... it's a GREAT laptop game to play when I'm suppose to be working. ;)

I've never played the other Tacops game, kinda new to this type of gaming, (mostly played Ghost Recon, OFP, SWAT type games... but playing Combat Mission 1 and 2, got me looking at this one.)

My question, with out going into much detail, (don't want to waste anyones time) how does the insides of this game work... I move my units, I issue commands, and is there a mathimatic equanion that goes in the background to come up with the solutions?

As a ex-Army man (10 years) I know how to use recon, how to call for artillery/air support... how to flank and manuver, how to use bounding overwatch... does this game award proper military stategies and tactics... If I have a armor platoon on higher elevation, overwatching the movements of another platoon, will I be able to surpress an enemy to protect my moving body...

Will using infantry, in conjuction with armor provide better results in a battle that don't?

ect...ect.. ect...

This is not a complaint, I love the game, I love the strategy part of the plan... just wondering how it all works in a game like this, just trowing it out there for opinions and sugguestions.

smile.gif

> how does the insides of this game work... I move my units, I

> issue commands, and is there a mathematic equation that

> goes in the background to come up with the solutions?

>

There are numerous equations that combine input from unit characteristics tables, probability tables, fudge factor lists, and SWAGS with occasional smoothing side trips into smoke and mirrors.

Page 8-36 from the user guide says ...

8. Ground Combat

Combat is decided by the computer after a comparison of the characteristics and tactical

disposition of the firing and target units. The combat result is influenced by a variety of factors to include:

Firer - weapon effectiveness at different ranges

Firer - recent suppression

Firer - number of rounds fired at same target

Firer - armor penetration effectiveness

Firer - speed of travel of the round

Target - armor protection effectiveness

Target - terrain

Target - visibility

Target - amount of target exposed to fire

Target - angle at which fire strikes - front, side, or rear

Target - tactical disposition

Both - surprising nature of fire

Both - unit personnel and equipment strength

Both- stationary or moving, combat friction, fog-of-war, other random unpredictable events

>does this game award proper military strategies and tactics...

Yes.

> If I have a armor platoon on higher elevation, overwatching

> the movements of another platoon, will I be able to

> suppress an enemy to protect my moving body... Will using

> infantry, in conjunction with armor provide better results

> in a battle that don't?

It depends on the terrain and situation smile.gif .

Much of the time, overwatch is more about exacting quick revenge than preventing losses to the guys out in front. There is little that an overwatching platoon can do to prevent a hidden enemy from hosing the leading elements with a surprise volley.