VoT Spoiler Alert Has anyone Played as the Geramans and won against a GOOD Yank Human

Guest tom w

IMHO a simple solution to the problem of play balance is that known and loved by bookies everywhere i.e. point spread. It's a shame to have to design scenarios in which forces are balanced because in real life they rarely were. VoT represents a situation that was all too common to the Germans: overwhelming U.S. arty. So what would be neat is if the victory point levels could simply be changed so that all the Germans have to do is hold 1 victory location (for example) to get a minor victory. It would also be neat if the computer could play itself. Then when you design a scenario you could let the computer play like 10 games overnight and see who won the most and then adjust the point spread until you got it 50/50. Then you don't have to worry about force structure being even. I'd also like to see the ability to assign different amounts of points to objectives so you could model "do or die" vs. "keep casulties low" missions by making the objectives worth more or less respectively. It'd be even better if they could have different points for each side. Then in VoT, for example, I'd make them worth alot less to the U.S so that if they took exscessive casulties they'd lose. This is more realistic also IMHO as the German presumably were "fighting for their lives" on the front door of their Fatherland while the U.S was always very careful about casulties and would break of an attack if they were too high (usually). What do y'all think?

Thanks Spook

I did catch that and I should have appended that response to this thread, during the re-post, but you sort of did it for me so thanks smile.gif

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spook:

If in case you didn't catch it in another thread, tom_w, I think that BTS announced that bunkers/pillboxes WILL get the "hide" command added with the first (1.01) patch.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DrD:

It would also be neat if the computer could play itself. Then when you design a scenario you could let the computer play like 10 games overnight and see who won the most and then adjust the point spread until you got it 50/50. Then you don't have to worry about force structure being even. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting ideas above, DrD. With games like the Operation Art of War series (TOAW), the computer could be set to play against itself. I would do exactly that during scenario design, as it usually was the quickest way for me to spot scenario quirks. Now, if CM had "AI-vs-AI" as an option, and if connected with the planned "continous saved replay of all turns" as a "war movie", that would certainly show some interesting (and amusing?) games.

DrD,

I like the point spread / adjusted victory condition idea alot. Hopefully BTS read this.

As for computer vs. computer play it would be nice to have. However, I think this came up some time back and BTS said that they were not going to do this. I believe it had something to do with the way the game is coded up and it would be too much work to try to put this functionality in.

Mike D

aka Mikester

Doing a search on ai vs. ai yielded among other things the following:

quark3000

posted 06-12-1999 09:29 PM

In Combat Mission, will there be any kind of option to setup a Computer Player Vs.Computer Player game? This isn't something I'd do often, but, it would be interesting once in a while to setup AI against AI & see how they go at it. And, if this is possible, is it also possible to adjust the weapons for each side? I realize that even CC3 doesn't allow AI vs. AI, but, I was just wondering if Combat Mission will. Thanks in advance for any info.

Mike

IP: Logged

Big Time Software

posted 06-13-1999 03:51 AM

Probably not AI-vs-AI per se, but we might have an option where (1-player game only) you can hit a hotkey and the AI will issue orders to all your troops (which you can then edit or rescind before committing to them). So if you did this every turn, it would be a form of AI-vs-AI.

Charles

IP: Logged

quark3000

posted 06-13-1999 11:02 PM

Charles, thanks a lot. Even that option would be helpful.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mikester (edited 05-31-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mikester (edited 05-31-2000).]

Yes in indeed

AI verus AI would be VERY entertaining and a great way to test new custom designed scenarios by those of us who just can't wait to get our hands on that fancy new scenario editor. I bet I will play with the scenario editor more than I will with the game its self.

AI vs AI and then watch a movie of what the battle looked like would be a very cool way to play with the game and learn more about comabt and tactics and what works and what doesn't.

I fully support the idea of a CM being patched to let us play AI vs AI and see what happens.

-tom w