Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

LOF through a house or were the windows open?

I have noticed that rounds will go through the middle of a house. The situation was a fast moving target that moved behind a house before the round struck. It was cool to watch the round curve side ways and then go thought the house to hit the target. I don't think I would have notice but it seemed odd that the target was killed when it was directly behind a house.

I was thinking that this might be the result of the los/lof fire being determined at the time the round is fired. At that time there was a clear LOF.

Comments, and I did not do a search, if you would like to point to a particular thread that would be helpful.

SKF

I have seen this happen to me before where I had a bogged down Sherman in a duel with a light gun. The LOS was traced through two sides of a house. The light gun kept hitting my Sherman, and my return first kept hitting the house. Eventually I destroyed the house (causing much unhappiness to the squad I had within!) and then the gun.

I looked at it more closely later and the LOS seemed to go through a window on each side of the house.

Also if it was a small house, a high velocity AP round could possibly punch through it to a target on the other side.

Scott

Remember, the turn results are first calculated, and then shown to you in the movie. The target was calculated as having been hit, and then some minor vagaries in the projected 3-d world made it appear as an "house penatrating round" (HPR)

cheers

chaos

From the manual, p45:

"However, some rounds can also make it into the building and explode within, e.g. through holes in the outer walls or roof, blasted doors or windows. Such shots can cause severe damage. There is even a very small chance that a round makes it into and THROUGH a building, exploding on the other side- bad news for any troops lurking behind it."

Another thought is that if your unit scale is above realistic, you may not have had a good view of where the target really was when it got hit.

The calculations are made based on the situation at the moment when shot was fired. BTS has explained that making this kind of things more complex would eat too much of cycles. But I think this only happens with buildings, I haven't seen a shell go through a hill.

Sometimes, however, LOS seems to go through buildings. I haven't figured the logic on these cases. It would be fine if someone could point some sort of pattern, if there is any, so non-blocking buildings could be recognised.

As others have said, lots of what you see isn't EXACTLY what happened. There is some abstraction in the movie, thus the 'curving' round. The shot was calculated at the instant of firing (and you did say there was a clear LOS), and only the representation of the tracer went through the building. If you look closely, you may have noticed that your tank did not seem to lead the target, even though it was moving fast. Once again, it's just the visual representation.

Of course, there is always that outside chance that the round DID go through the house! biggrin.gif

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)