rediscovered Tac-ops - now do i get v3?

UK_ian

Hi all

I played Tac-Ops (single player) many years ago called "TacOps Modern tactical combat 1994-200" - i have the box next to me. I loved it then but really did not realise it had continued to grow. It was not a big game in the UK.

just found this site thru an article on mini-combat and im well chuffed.

Couple of questions:

1)Are there any fellow UK players?

2) Will V4 include UK forces? (I think they are tough cookies but I'm biased)

3) Do i buy V3 or wait until V4??

Cheers

Ian

Hi Jan,

To answer your questions.

Yes there are more UK players,you should join the TACops Maillist.

there are no other forces in TAcops 4 than the ones currently available,i.e. US,canadian and NZ

Opfor though has a lot of new weaponsystems including Chinese types APC and tanks abnd a lot of engineering equipment

I suggest to buy 4.0 but the Major surely doesnt mind it if you buy both:)

Thanks for the replies.

I guess i will wait for V4 if its going to be around so soon.

My last question would be - WHY ON EARTH feature NZ forces????? no disrespect intended but Aus/NZ forces are hardly the most significant/active of world forces.

I would of thought a European nation would of offered more breadth to the game.

Ian

I guess this is the biggest difference with this simulation compared to other games I am used to playing in that - all of those where produced purely for mass marketing to the unwashed/uninformed. Rather than Tacops which is produced as a tool first and as a "game" second.

Looking thru the forum its quite daunting to see the other regulars all appear to have military experience - (i have none being in Investment Banking)although this provides a great learning possibility.

I have just ordered V3 (as someone said in an earlier forum its only $20 - about £14 in real money) and I am eager to start developing my knowledge.

My first aim is to work on making my defence more mobile (i have only played defensive scenarios so far) I seem to become very static and reluctant to move units as they seem to get hit very quickly once moved from my initial positions once battle is joined.

I shall take a look thru the AAR's that have been posted to see if i can find where i'm going wrong.

Thanks

Ian

Originally posted by UK_ian:

My first aim is to work on making my defence more mobile (i have only played defensive scenarios so far) I seem to become very static and reluctant to move units as they seem to get hit very quickly once moved from my initial positions once battle is joined.

When you come from other wargames (especially WW2 wargames like Combat Mission), it takes some time to get used to the fact that a standing shooting is much more superiour to a moving targets.

Part of that is that tacops units are bigger (several vehicles) and that the first-shot hit probablities are much higher. There probably is some developer taste involved as well, and the more abstracted Tacops engine probably makes it easier to reach a given level of balance, whereas the more single-duel-detailed engine of Combat Mission does not model most standing devensive advantages in most circumstances, and is very random once the first shots all fail due to (realistically) low WW2 hit probablities.

As for tactics, smoke obviously helps, overwatch helps. Range gaming helps, study hit probablities and penetration abolities at various distances, you will find various intervals of several hundred meters where vulnerability is one-sided (T80 vs M1, Bradly versus BMP). Supression by artillery works even against tanks. Cover helps, too :)

[ May 25, 2002, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Thanks a lot - I shall certainly try those variations.

It often happens that i move units thinking that they are safe from all the OPFOR units I can see - then as its half way there a previously unseen OPFOR unit nails it DOH!!!

Damn sneaky OPFOR dont play fair.

It often happens that i move units thinking that they are safe from all the OPFOR units I can see - then as its half way there a previously unseen OPFOR unit nails it DOH!!!

The enemy has a way of not cooperating with your template. That's why they're called the 'enemy'. A rule of thumb is that a battle hasn't really started until something has gone majorly wrong.

After gaming for a while I had a strange experience listening to music. I was at a little jazz concert, and noticed how while one guy was soloing, the other musicians were playing along in a way intended to support him and make what he was playing sound good. I felt it should be the other way around, they should be opponents and try to make him sound out of tune or silly or pretentious or whatever.

It would be a lot easy to win against OPFOR if he was just there to make your plan look brilliant.

Accept the fact that you will take losses, never try to get away without any.

Once there, make Opfor use the hidden resources for the least valuable target that does the job of triggering them.

Have suitable weapons at the ready to engage new targets. In special, artillery should be locked in and TRPs placed. Artillery will typically be very effective because ambushes like that tend to be place in very dense terrain which make escaping difficult, or at the very least the opponent has to decide to stay under artillery fire or risk leaving the fortifications.

You may try to keep the losses for your units low by suitable SOP settings (smoke and retreat) and/or by firing smoke around the, but that will usually only be useful when answering journalist's questions after the battle.