Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Walls and cover

I'm a little bit unclear. For purposes of cover, is it better for me to position a squad in clear terrain behind a wall, or should I actually place the squad *on* the wall terrain (presumably to simulate hugging the wall). Which actually gives a better cover modifier?

------------------

"Artillery is a terrible thing. God, I hate it."

Pvt. David Webster

101st airborne 1942-45

I once positioned a squad right behind a wall (they were so close to it their legs actually blended into the wall). When the action phase began i issued a "hide" command and the squad layed down to hide.

A couple of turns go by and a German unit approached. I thought my squad was out of LOS but to my surprise the Germans deployed and began blasting away.

Well, as it turns out my squad was so close to the wall that when they had laid down their heads were sticking out the other side! biggrin.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Think of hiding behind a real wall in relation to the likely enemy position. Hiding behind the stone wall as the Americans in Last Defense on their left flank isn't such a good idea. The enemy comes in from above, so hiding BEHIND the wall isn't going to buy you much if any cover.

So position your men as you think they would be in real life. Sitting them ON the wall is just that. Bunch of Humpty Dumpties with rifles wink.gif

Keep in mind that the graphical representation doesn't mean anything in game terms. To see where your men are, note the terrain location text in the unit's display. When issuing move orders you can also move the line to the wall, note the distance from where you are plotting from (say 50m), then back off a few meters (say to 48m) and plop the movement order down. You have now just ordered your men to hide a decent distance behind the wall.

The distance behind depends on the circumstances as noted above. Generally closer is better.

Steve