Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

O/T: Flight sims for Mac users

Hi all...

I just felt compelled to pass the word on the latest version of X-Plane for Mac. I'm not a big flight sim buff (combat sims, yes, flying around with no one to kill, no), but this X-Plane is really good.

Microsoft's flight sim is coming to Mac in 2001 (supposedly), but if it's anything like FS2000 for PC, I'll stick with X-Plane. The frame-rate and graphics are really optimized for Mac, with the only drawback being you need at least an 8mb video card, which may squeeze some low-end guys out. But I'm running it in 1024x768 on my iMac DV G3 400, and it's very very nice. The most impressive thing is the speed... it really flies (pardon the pun). Fly! for Mac is all right, but it doesn't run nearly as nice as this one does. Check out www.x-plane.com to get the demo... 60mb, but worth it.

Of course, as I've posted on here before, if you are in the mood for a WW2 shoot-em-up, try SF1945... it's a nice little sim. The graphics aren't fantastic, but the gameplay is pretty addictive. And the multiplayer is free (unlike Warbirds). It's at www.dogfightcity.com .

Anyway, I just had this on my mind and figured I'd share. smile.gif

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

Flight-sims are becoming rare for the PC. I do go out to those that have Macs. Usually, Mac gamers get some solid titles ported from the PC (or games designed from the group up to be cross-platform), but seeing as how no one buys flight sims anymore, the chance of one being ported is low low low.

A shame.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by XPav:

no one buys flight sims anymore, the chance of one being ported is low low low.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, as I said, supposedly MS FS2002 is coming for Mac, but I'm not all that excited about that. FS2000 runs decent but not fantastic on my brother's PC, and he's got a pretty sweet setup, speed and card-wise. The only hiccup with X-Plane (and it's a big hiccup) is the price. It's $79, which is a recent major price drop to compete with the more mainstream sims (it used to be $199!). But it's by far the best sim for Mac, so if you're into that sort of thing, it's well worth the money. I just enjoy flying my Me262 Schwalbe all over the countryside smile.gif Brings back memories of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. -sigh-

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.