Other Nations in TacOps?

Determinant

Guest DS CavScout

Originally posted by Determinant:

Speaking as a Brit it would be nice to be able to play a game at home. Against the French OPFOR...

Why French? They'd surrender 30 minutes into the game! tongue.gif

Major,

You might have been asked this question before, but here it is again:

Where/how do you find the information to compile the armor, movement and such data on units?

If others of us knew where/how to get this information together, perhaps we might be able to help provide you that information in a quick-access format, thus saving you the research time and speed that end of things up when you do reach that stage? (( Note: 'we' might be determined as 'I' in some cases. Check your documentation. =] ))

Just a thought. You might have been asked that before.

Guest MajorH

Reading, research, and much collecting and filing of one or two sentence nuggets of information - something that I have not been able to do enough of lately.

Mostly from a careful analysis of a good number of open source battle narratives from the Gulf War including magazine articles, books, Congressional records/testimony, and documentary video. Nuggets can be found in Field Manuals but it takes a lot of reading to get to them. I also find more than a few careless comments in 'letters to the editor' in Army and Marine Corps service magazines. Other sources include the occasional odd item such as the time that I accidentally found an internal training pamphlet produced by an Army unit in Germany that probably should have been classified but was not. The latter item was found in a box of old field manuals in a used book store here in San Antonio smile.gif.

A source that I very seldom use is other wargames.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 03-12-2001).]

What?! You mean you don't hire Jane's Consultancy Group to compile hard data for your sim at the cost of $15,000 plus?!!? I am aghast! wink.gif

No, seriously. I figured there might be some sort of publically-available source (read: open source) of compiled data somewhere on the net. I wonder if it is possible to start building one for these such purposes...

As for using other sims, most of the time, their information is proprietary, or just thrown-together "look right" data. Not that the latter is "unacceptable", given the nature of the data, mind you. It would just seem that anyone wanting to compile such data for a sim would want concrete data, rather than "guesstimations", is all. IE: If you, the developer, want to know your data is correct, you would want to research it yourself. I completely agree with that. Problem is, for someone not in the "industry", getting their hands on the limited circulation stuff (like the service magazines) is hard. =/

Guest MajorH

>I figured there might be some sort of publically-available source (read: open

>source) of compiled data somewhere on the net.

There is a lot of useful "looking" data on weapons and vehicles on the Internet just like there is a lot of "news" on the Internet. The problem is deciding which of it is accurate and true.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

Originally posted by DS CavScout:

Why French? They'd surrender 30 minutes into the game! tongue.gif

Dear Sirs:

I think that a French OPFOR would be fascinating. The French Air Force is second to none (perhaps slightly better than the current Luftwaffe). If you fielded a British trackless light-heavy division against a similar French OPFOR, I think you could have endless possibilities with the small arms alone. With New Zealand Forces and the Australian Army joining on some missions, it would be fascinating. Unfortunately, this would mean hours and hours of work for MajorH. I am really grateful for all the work he has already done, especially for us Canucks! smile.gif

Guest DS CavScout

Originally posted by SeaRich:

The French Air Force is second to none (perhaps slightly better than the current Luftwaffe).

Could you please tell me the last time the French or German airforces actually had any air engagements. You can't be #1 if you don't play the game.