Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Still way too slow!

I've got a real problem with game speed, or is it frame rates? K62 550 with 160 meg PC100 SDRAM, ATI XPERT 2000 32 meg. When I launch the game it asks me to test the resolution and then will only let me run in 540 X 480. The the game is a real slide show. Cant' even see most of the explosions or tracers. Someone told me the game may be running in software mode. Where do I control this and how can I change it?

Delete your CM prefs file in the c:\program files\cmbo directory. When you launch CM again it should ask you the resolution to run at (it will usually display your current running resolution first and then go down from there). Do you only have one video card in your system ? The "resolution selection" screen should say "primary display" or something to that effect along with the listed resolution. I'm not sure if these screens will mention "software" on them or not if they are set for software-based rendering.

I assume you have at least DirectX 6.1 installed (if you have Windows98 2nd Edition, it is installed with that OS, the first edition of Windows98 has DirectX 5.0). If you don't have that version or want to upgrade (?) to the latest:

DirectX 7.0a:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=16819

If you already have a sufficient version of DirectX (which you proabably already do) then launch the DirectX Diagnostic from C:\PROGRAM FILES\DIRECTX\SETUP\DXDIAG.EXE. Go to the Display tab and make sure that DirectDraw, Direct 3D and AGP Support are all enabled (the Disabled selection will be a raised button when these settings are enabled). You can run the tests and see if these settings are in effect or not. You may want to do this before launching CM after deleting the prefs file.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-11-2000).]