Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Re-Re-Learn?

One of the things CM has done was make us relearn wargame tactics and forget some of the gamey old wargame distortions of you go-I go, +3 mountain terrain, CC-style infantry vulnerability, etc...

The demo version we've been playing with has been changed for release. Units respond a little more to targetting and hide commands, for example. The U.S. has rifle grenades, etc...

My question to Beta testers is:

Will we have to relearn CM, or are the changes more subtle than that?

Hm, not easy to answer. I'd say that your best bet will be to assume that the few loopholes which the beta demo provides are closed (because they are). Mortars vs. vehicles, for example. Or the behaviour of anti-tank teams. But the basic principles still apply - bases of fire, support elements, timing.

Therefore, I think, those players which resisted exploiting the weak points of the demo and instead relied on sound tactics for their success will be the ones painting the first victory rings on their barrels (or wherever you guys paint them smile.gif)

A word of warning about the AI, though - it's evolved into a REALLY decent opponent. Mark those words when you're sitting in defense the first time - the moment you expect to see those HQs charging in will be when the first platoons in command appear on your right flank smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

I'd second Moon's comments. I will say that you will have learn some new finer points, but the UNlearning you did will remain intact. In other words, the difference between games of the past and the CM Beta Demo is SO MUCH greater than the leap from CM Beta Demo to what we have now. Think of it like the difference between learning a new language and learning a few new words and phrases. You have already done the hard work wink.gif

Steve

[ooops! noticed a big error and changed "smaller" to "greater" above]

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 01-18-2000).]