Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

improvement Sugg. - Visual indication of men left above middle soldier!.

One thing that easily could be implemented and VERY USEFULL would be on option to turn on a visible number idicating the number of men left. I.E above the middle soldier.

As i find it very annoying that i have to click on the unit and look at the bottom left of the screen just to find out how many men are left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Joe...

Guest Germanboy

Only if it was to toggle, and even then I don't think it would be that useful. I generally go by the 3-man representation to guide me as what to do with the guys.

3 - fit squad, can be used for anything, including assaults and close-assaults on active AFVs. Can do all this while not in C&C

2 - better be a bit careful, can still be used for attacks and in conjunction with other squads or close-assaulting AFVs in difficulties, make sure is in C&C radius

1 - flank security, scouting, flanking the enemy, must be in C&C to be useful.

Of course you have to keep in mind the morale status as well, and that is a lot more important than the number of men I find. I have had a squad that was down to one guy (real, not graphic rep) and a platoon HQ do a flanking move on Berli and destroy an immobilised StuH42 behind his lines, while a 10 men squad of the same platoon simply refused to follow them. Difference was morale.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Only if it was to toggle, and even then I don't think it would be that useful. I generally go by the 3-man representation to guide me as what to do with the guys.

3 - fit squad, can be used for anything, including assaults and close-assaults on active AFVs. Can do all this while not in C&C

2 - better be a bit careful, can still be used for attacks and in conjunction with other squads or close-assaulting AFVs in difficulties, make sure is in C&C radius

1 - flank security, scouting, flanking the enemy, must be in C&C to be useful.

Of course you have to keep in mind the morale status as well, and that is a lot more important than the number of men I find. I have had a squad that was down to one guy (real, not graphic rep) and a platoon HQ do a flanking move on Berli and destroy an immobilised StuH42 behind his lines, while a 10 men squad of the same platoon simply refused to follow them. Difference was morale.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it 1-4 = 1 Man shown

5-8 = 2 Men shown

9-12 = 3 Men shown

Please correct it if it's wrong.

(I just recently downloaded the Demo and ordered the game).

By the way, Germanboy - ive noticed you often refer to Hamsters in posts - what does this mean??? Is it just joking around or are you referring to germen infantry men or what??

Looking forward to your reply wink.gif

Rgs Joe F.

[This message has been edited by Joe F (edited 08-11-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe F:

Is it 1-4 = 1 Man shown

5-8 = 2 Men shown

9-12 = 3 Men shown

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Squad sizes in the full game vary between 7 (Volkssturm, UK Glider Infantry) and 13 (Sturmgruppe), so it always is roughly a third. If you split a glider squad, you get two teams with 3 and 4, and both are shown with 2 men rep. If a US (12 men) squad is down to 9, it will show three, at 8 it will show two.

Initially I argued for squads to represented by Hamsters, later any kind of Gerbiltoy would have done, but BTS would have none of it. But in fairness, Johan is the Hamster expert.

------------------

Andreas

I agree with Joe. In fact, I think that's the best improvement I've heard suggested. Something that would be visible during the orders phase, like the 'path' feature. It's too easy to miss the fact that units have started to take casualties. I think it would be a great way to determine overall status at a glance.

------------------

Will

---

"The truly great thing is not to lose your nerve." --Unknown.

Guest Germanboy

After thinking about it a bit more, I actually now believe it is completely pointless to put that figure in, and a waste of programming time. Unless you have a, dare I say it, roster with all the other information about that unit, the number of men alone is no use at all. A squad that is down to 2 guys who are in a good morale and physical state is much more useful than a routed squad with 12 guys (and I have seen those, believe me). Once they are down in numbers, you will have to check what weapons are left. If there are two guys with Lee-Enfield rifles, they won't do you much good in house-to-house fighting, while two guys with MP40s are useless at long range suppression. The effectiveness of a squad is not solely based on the number of guys in it, and I would wonder how much of a difference it actually makes. Therefore this is not useful information at all, IMO. And hence does not warrant programming time. It could be argued that it is actually harmful to you as a player, because if you use the number, you will almost certainly make worse decisions than if you had gone down and looked at the info in detail. Comments?

------------------

Andreas

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 08-11-2000).]

I agree with Squirminjoy. The only way to find out what your squads are really capable of is to check the unit. In addition, I think that a bunch of numbers floating around the screen all the time would be cluttery and distracting, and since the game already gives you several ways to determine unit size, I don't see a need for a change.