CM and FSAA

Guest Madmatt

Use and, not [image] and [/image].

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 07-31-2000).]

Thanks Madmatt! Just don't tell anyone that I used to run one of these UBBS :P

I blew up smile.gif the soldier with a flamethrower to highlight the differernces. These little pics alone don't do justice to how good 4xfsaa looks in CM. No noticeable frame slow-down either (esp in this type of game where fsaa shines).

soldiernofsaa.jpg

soldier4xfsaa.jpg

Oh, ignore the blurriness, that comes from blowing up these tiny soldiers, you see no blurriness in game image quality-wise.

I had been playing the demo (ordered 2 copies of CM), with 4xfsaa already set to on. I wanted to see how CM looked without FSAA and it hurt my eyes to look at, esp when everything was moving eek.gif

Man, those CM discs can't get here fast enough for me. I'm hooked biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kverdon:

Tiger,

You got it straight, CM and 4xFSAA is fantastic. The V5 5500 is one of the best improvements I've put into my system. (the other was the 19" Samsung 950p monitor <G>)

Kevin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, I just bought one myself[voodoo 5500].Mine has one problem with CM, the mouse drags a portion of the prior screen with it to new screen while in the main interface? Does yours do this as well?

Dick biggrin.gif

Guest dirkd1976

Dick,

I was having the same problem, but it was caused by a theme with a special pointer for windows. If you have a theme on, dissable it, or dissable the theme pointer and it should go away. I did for me!! Good luck!!

------------------

Never mistake motion for action - Ernest Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dirkd1976:

Dick,

I was having the same problem, but it was caused by a theme with a special pointer for windows. If you have a theme on, dissable it, or dissable the theme pointer and it should go away. I did for me!! Good luck!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Dirk, I'll check that out, bet that's it,much obliged biggrin.gif!

Guest dirkd1976

Full Screen Anti-Alaising I believe? If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, if I'm right, HAHA!! Behold the power of my brain!!

------------------

Guest dirkd1976

Dick,

No problem, I got a question for ya though. How much are Voodoo 5500's going for these days? I'm looking into buyin a new video card. I got a Diamond Monster Voodoo2 and I can only play the small and tiny senarios, otherwise I get choppyness (is that a word?). My PC is a Pentium II 400 with 96 meg of of RAM, so I'm hoping its just the old video card (actually I'm PRAYING its the old video card *crosses fingers*).

------------------

FSAA stands for Full-Scene-Anti-Aliasing.

It cleans up the edges of every poly/object, removing or reducing those jagged edges and shimmery lines that make images look awful. Most of the newer video cards have it, but 3dFx's V5 is curently the best method. The entire image looks much cleaner, smoother, and sharper. It's done full-scene, real time, but does cause a small performance hit. However this is only a factor in fast, fps games, not games like CM.

Look at the images above. The first image of each is normal, non-aliased. The second ones are with FSAA on. Ignore the blurriness though, that comes from the screenshot and enlarging the images a bit. Look at the soldier with the flamethrower (green pack) in the first images with the tank. That shows the difference very good.

Mine has one problem with CM, the mouse drags a portion of the prior screen with it to new screen while in the main interface

Yup. The Voodoo5 5500 is famous for doing that. Only in some cases can it be resolved by switching the mouse pointer to Windows Standard. If that doesn't work you need to change the Voodoo5 5500 advanced settings to 'single chip' to eliminate it. that sucks though.

Many weeks ago I got into a little bit of a debate about FSAA. I had just bought a GeForce II and wasn't all that impressed with FSAA. Well its amazing what a few weeks and new drivers will do! wink.gif

I am a convert. FSAA is VERY COOL and makes a difference. Unfortunately allot of the difference cant be seen in screenshots. Sure you can the see how the jaggies are all smoothed out but what you DON'T see is the massive reduction to the texture 'glimmer' that you get when scrolling across a map. Its that shimmering effect you sometimes see and with FSAA cracked up its drastically reduced.

I definitely paid too much for my top of the line card (Prophet II 64 mb GTS, $450) but now that I have time to play with it I do indeed LOVE it and FSAA.

As the drivers for both the new Voodoo's and GeForces mature we will be sure to see even greater advances and speed coming out.

MadBot

------------------

I am MadBot...

All your technological and bilogical resources will be assimilated to serve me...

Compassion is irrelevant

Death is irrelevant

Resistance...is Futile...

CHAT with MadBot, come to http://cmhq.tzo.com:8000/ and express yourself!

[This message has been edited by MadBot (edited 07-31-2000).]

Anyone with a nVIdia TNT2 (32mb) use FSAA?

I know it shows as an option in the video controls, but I haven't enabled it because, well , I don't know what its going to do! or if it will be any good....

I don't like messing w/the video controls, because I had a hell of a time getting the drivers to work (had to mess w/the registry!).

Thx

Guest dirkd1976

Hey Dick,

If you want to play a small PBEM battle give me a yell. I could probably do a turn every day or two (we got a whole new phone system going in at work, and its getting kind of hectic). My email is dirkd@mint.net If your interested let me know!!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dirkd1976:

Hey Dick,

If you want to play a small PBEM battle give me a yell. I could probably do a turn every day or two (we got a whole new phone system going in at work, and its getting kind of hectic). My email is dirkd@mint.net If your interested let me know!!

Dirk,

I'll holler bach atcha in a few days, got so many PBEM's going right now I need to clear them up first!I also still have some work to do for JuJu,Andreas and another friend as well.They may have a scalping party out looking for me now biggrin.gif, it's been so long since I responded........

Then there's this person in the house who claims shes my wife biggrin.gif......shes always got me doing things like mowing yards,replacing chimney's,etc.Wargaming is a tough job, somebody has to do it smile.gifthat's why I keep plugging at it

Give me about a week and give me a yell ifyou don't hear from me,ok?? biggrin.gif

Dick

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest dirkd1976

Sounds great man!! Whenever you get a chance is fine. My schedual is pretty busy too, nothing sucks my time away like work does (CM is a close second). I've only played a couple of PBEM games, so I'm fresh meat. Just drop me a line when you have a free moment.

------------------

Purple4Ever - I don't believe you can get FSAA with the TNT2's. Since the TNT2's and the GeForces share the same Detonator driver, this option apparently will still appear with a TNT2 in the system. If it does allow you to enable FSAA, it really won't work.

As far as I know you have to have a GeForce for FSAA to work, even though the driver does list the option.

I have a V5500 running 4X FSAA at 1024x768 on PIII 600 w/128RAM. Nobody has mentioned the resolution, but it makes a big difference. 4X FSAA is very cool, but knocks the performance down to one fourth of the fill rate.

My problem is a blue screen crash when I exit CM, tied to Explorer somehow. I have a Kensington Expert Mouse with its own software, but this never happened with my Matrox G400 previously. I live with the blue screen crash for now because it doesn't affect CM, only crashes when I'm ready to quit. But definitely something that needs to be fixed.

------------------

I fought the Law and the Law won.