Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Textures

Guest Captain Manieri

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Manieri:

What exactly ARE textures and why do they have to be tweaked??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What?! Are you serious?!

"Textures" are the picture files that are "overlayed" onto the polygon mesh of a 3D object.

Previously, before this technology, 3D polygon objects were made up of "colored" polygons to create the illusion of a more detailed object.

But NOW, they have compilers that take picture files, whether they be Window's .BMP files, or .PCX files or whatever, and overlay these files onto the the polygons in any order they want.

Take for example, the ships in Starfleet Command use .BMP files. However, the images in these files are all jumbled up. The compiler "apparently" assigns certain images in those files to certain parts of the ship. I say "apparently" because I'm not really sure on how it works. But what it does is like...it takes a flat 2D image, and depending on the shape of the 3D mesh, it like plasters that 2D image over that area and evokes some "wrapping" effects to cover the particular area of the 3D mesh.

I may be a little off or incorrect in my description, but that's the general idea. smile.gif

------------------

"Cry Woe...Destruction...Ruin and Decay. The worst is Death...and Death will have His day."--Gen. Chang