Arty effects against different terrain types.

Though I did not find this topic discussed in a search, my guess would be that it has come up given the volume, detail, and life of this forum. Nonetheless, here goes:

I am reading a book entitled "Goodbeye Darkness" by William Manchester. Mr. Manchester was a Marine Sergeant and fought in the Pacific during WW2 against the Japanese.

On page 103, he is writing about waiting out the night in a foxhole while he and his platoon were shelled. His comments about artillery and its various reactions to terrain types got me thinking about CM.

Manchester writes

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"During one of the worst nights I was dug in behind a natural parapet, a long, yard-high ridge of earth, in so deep a hole that my greatest worry was of being buried alive. Barney was on one side of me and Rip Thorpe on the other. Behind us, to our rear, was a large field of mud. For once I welcomed rain. That field's slimy porridge absorbed a lot of the shell bursts. Dry ground would have been worse, and exposed rock the worst of all, because a projectile landing on rock shatters it into splinters which are as lethal as shrapnel."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So my question is whether or not this is modeled into CM's various terrain types. Does a barrage that hits marsh as big and as dangerous as the explosion that hits rough terrain, for example? Is this something that, if possible to add and if desired, would show up in CM1 or only for CM2 and beyond.

Thanks for your time,

TeAcH

[This message has been edited by TeAcH (edited 07-19-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pathfinder:

one way to find out...I guess I'll try it and get back with ya.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds ominous.

------------------

Andreas

All I know is that it doesn't matter that it is dry or wet, 150mm Rickets falling short and hitting your own HT's and Troops has the same effect with or without Mr. Happy Sun or Mr. Grumpy Clouds are in the sky. Right Germanboy?

*God, The HORROR, THE HORROR!"

The author was referring to 81 mm mortar rounds (IIRC) in the quote I gave. If one hits near an infantry that was in marsh, versus, a ford, versus, rough, there sounds like there might be a difference in the damage inflicted.

Thanks

TeAcH

• 1 year later...

The problem with this is we probably won't know unless BTS comes out and says somethign about it *HINT, HINT*

The main problem I foresee in testing this is that rough gives you inheritly more cover than marsh, where as open ground is open no matter what the weather (I think). Some how I don't think I've helped here :rolleyes:

Edited because *HINT, HUNT* does not make much sense

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: Cpl Carrot ]