Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Strange AI Behavior

Hey fellas,

Last night I was play "Elsdorf-Giants Clash", (the revised version from Wild Bill) and something weird happened. Almost mid way through the battle the Jumbo Shermans advanced by reversing towards me. If only my German anti-tank pillbox would have had a good line of sight, it would have been instant death! I've never seen anything like that before. I'm running ver. 1.05 and the AI had +3 experience. They advanced like that for a good 60 or 70 meters. All of my troops where in front of them, so I really can't imagine why they did such a thing. Any ideas fellas, thanks.....

-Head

------------------

"No man ever won a war by dieing for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

-General George S. Patton, Jr.

Ive seen that twice.

Once it was Shermans, and they backed through a gap in the bocage.

Another time, it was a PanzerIV G, which behaved sorta stragely -- backing up and so on, after crossing a bridge and navigating between two stands of trees.

(This was the same PzIV that got nailed by an M8 Greyhound, so that game was full of crazy stuff. Of course, that shot was explained to me as reasonable. I don't mean to equate them)

Guest KwazyDog

Out of interest, do you know which version of CM you are playing under Head? It sounds like an onlder bug which I am pretty sure has been fixed.

Dan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Out of interest, do you know which version of CM you are playing under Head? It sounds like an onlder bug which I am pretty sure has been fixed.

Dan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

beta patch for me, in case you were interested. but only for the panzer. the backwards sherman was 1.05

I saw this to in v1.1b A Sherman(105) reversed through a gap between a roadblock and some trees. I had a minefield there so it was kind of a gamey exploitation of another bug on the part of the AI smile.gif Actually the AI didn't know the minefield was there so it must have been coincidence.

I watched this pretty closely because I was annoyed the minefield didn't go of.

Joeri

I've seen the same thing in the CM Demo map "Valley of Trouble"

In the opening rounds I set my Shermans up behind the scattered trees to keep them out of sight of that nasty 75mm gun that covers the valley.

Anyways several turns later I decided to risk bringing my Shermans out to take on the 75mm. I gave one a "hunt" order straight through the scattered trees and turned my attention elsewhere to give other orders.

I pressed the "Go" button and about 30 seconds into it I went to check on my tanks...

Well! One of them had engaged the 75mm and was backing away and the other was reversing down the hill towards the mines! The first Sherman disappeared from the 75mms sight and turned its' attention on my other tank with its naked butt in full view of every german in the valley.

Shells from the 75mm were pounding all round that Sherman as it scrambled back into the trees on the "fast move" order I had given it. It had *just* got back into the trees when a 75mm clouted it squarely on the rear quarters and it burst into flames. (and I into tears - not quite wink.gif )

All I had to say was: "Well it serves ya bloody right!"