Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Which fog of war is most real?

I used to be arty FO during military service.

During FTX manouevres I was send out in a CVRT with 3 (three) radio systems. So I was in connection with Bn HQ, supported Co HQ and of course the calculation center of the operational arty By. And I still didn't had a clue what was going on during the manoeuvre. This was in peace time in ideal conditions...imagine what happens while you're under fire. My opinion : big chaos.

However, I am missing in the CM demo some fast moving recces to spot ennemy positions and then withdraw as hell. I allways sacrefice a splitted platoon or two.

------------------

Did you know, that the average lifetime of a forward observer in the frontline is...3 minutes.

Certainly full FOW is the only way to go, except in the beginning. When first time playing the beta demo, I was like slapped into face when all I could see of the enemy was question marks. But soon I understood the system.

Now, an interesting thing is that you always tell that the enemy troops you've spotted are, for instance, three squads, not six half-strength squads. Maybe the squads are carrying a flag so the observers can tell which men belong to which squad?

Can my men make exaggerations of enemy, like recognizing a PaK 40 as an 88 mm FlaK? I understand this was all too usual in WW2.

Sergei:

It is possible for your men to mis-identify enemy equipment. The chance of this has to do with the quality of your troops.

This is discussed in the manual, but I had never seen it until just the other day when a friend and I were playing a hotseat game. After one of the turns he told me how he had no idea how he'd deal with my medium tank -- when all I really had was an armored car. He even saw my unit with the appropriate graphics (and info box) of a medium tank. Very cool biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Left4Dead (edited 06-28-2000).]