Install Problem? Just Copy The CD.

Guest MajorH

>when I try to instal Tacops I receive the following error message:

>"Isset_se An error has occurred in your program. To keep working

>anyway, click ignore...".

First report of that. The error message 'Isset_se' does not mean anything to me.

Since the installer does not like something on your system, don't use it.

Just copy the TacOps files from the CD to your hard drive.

Below is a step wise method to install the program without using the installer.

1. Put the TacOps CD into your CD drive.

2. Double click on the Windows 'My Computer' icon and find the CD icon for the TacOps CD. Double click on the TacOps CD icon to open it up for viewing. Next, simply drag/copy the directory titled 'TacOps v3.0 from the CDROM to your hard drive. Everything that you need to install is in that folder and all of the files are uncompressed.

3. Remove the TacOps CD from your CD drive.

4. You should now be able to run TacOps by double clicking/running the file titled 'tacops.exe' inside the new TacOps directory on your hard drive.

The only thing that you lose by doing the installation this way is that you don't get a Windows Start Menu icon group for TacOps and its help files. You can find instructions for creating a Windows Start Menu icon group and linking it to program files in your Windows reference manual.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

In passing, I don't have a CD Rom drive. I plan on getting the game onto my HD by copying the TacOps folder onto a CD-enabled friend's HD, compressing and segmenting it, copying the segments onto floppies, and then copying, desegmenting, and decompressing the folder onto my HD.

1) will this work and

2) how big is the Mac TacOps folder (so that I can figure out how many floppies to pick up)?

Thanks...

Yes that will work. A zip disk would make the process a lot more reasonable than floppies.

The basic TacOps folder (game, scenarios, basic map set, and documentation) is 21.5 megs uncompressed.

The Extras folder (containing additional battle maps and other goodies) is 42.4 megs uncompressed.

The TacOps library folder containing 20 US. Army field manuals is 100.6 megs uncompressed.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

Other options would be ...

Take a scsi hard drive over to your friend's house intead of a crate of floppies - if you have a detachable hard drive.

Take your Mac over to your friend's house and do the install via a local network - if you have the network connectors.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

In passing, with regard to the French version of the software, as someone who spends a fair bit of time working with Quebec's French language legislation, I was wondering what moved you to make it available? Is there enough of a market for French TacOps in Quebec to make it worthwhile, or did DoD require ask that you translate it?

> ...with regard to the French version ... I was wondering

> what moved you to make it available?

I didn't have a choice smile.gif. The dual English/French interface and documentation were contractual requirements for the Canadian Army's custom version of TacOps (TacOpsCF). Since all that work was already done, it seemed smart to leave it in the retail version which was released a couple of months after I delivered the Canadian Army version.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com