This day in history....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>CENTREVILLE , August 30, 1862. (Received September 1, a.m.) - To Major-general MCCLELLAN - MY DEAR GENERAL: I advanced in pursuit of the enemy and struck the center of his line...and was whipped, as was the whole army, badly — that is, I was overpowered....We were driven from the field, and here we are, after marching all last night, strongly located in a position which, if the enemy shells, will cause slaughter....The men are without heart, but will fight when cornered....We are bivouacking, and, as I have had no dinner or supper to-day and no chance of any to-morrow, I will bid you goodby, in the hope of soon seeing you (without being whipped), and that you have plenty to eat....Lee is here; Jackson is not now here....The enemy are massing to turn us. I expect to hear hourly of our rear being cut and our supplies and trains (scarcely guarded) at Fairfax Station being destroyed, as we are required to stay here and fight.....Good night.... F. J. PORTER, Major-general.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Sounds like 100% weapons-grade bolonium to me.

[This message has been edited by Formerly Babra (edited 09-01-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Probably the most momentous anniversary date of the 20th century. August 6th '45 gets a lot of votes, but if it wasn't for today's date 61 years ago, it would never have happened.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the 20th Century, personally I vote for the day the Kaiser gave Austria a "blank check" back in 1914.

------------------

-Bullethead

Want a naval sim? Check out Raider Operations at www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html