No Swedish group? Finns want to kick your butts..

If there's a man amongst you Svenssons, go and form a group at rugged defense.

...and then face another humiliating defeat! biggrin.gif

http://home.wanadoo.nl/edwin.vos/cm/Landen/groupsladder.htm

"Äta inte mina strumpbyxor, du jävla hunnen"

There! We can taunt you with your own language.

Even if not quite properly.. rolleyes.gif

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

Who are you calling Svensson, you polka listening and vodka drinking Mumintroll? I would love to form a group, but I am afraid that I am not a man enough, (Germanboy, can testify that I like to dress up as the British queen mother), and I do unfortunately not have the time at the moment.

But please, go ahead and humiliate the other Swedes, they probably deserve it. How would they be able to put up a fight, we have not been in a war for some 200 odd years? But then on the other hand we colonized you wink.gif

Mattias

Your taunt in Swedish is much better than anything I would be able to produce in finnish. (Unless complete, embarrasing and utter silence is seen as an insult in Finland)

No time for silly ladders and groups. If you want your personal entrails handed to you on a platter, send me a setup.

Ei saa peitää

The only Finnish phrase I've ever bothered to learn and it seems to work.

(and yes the good Dr Al does indeed like to dress up as the Queen Mother)

Now run off and build me a mobile phone or somefink you colonial garbage.

------------------

Johan

"The succesful execution of a well devised plan often looks like luck to saps."

Dashiell Hammett

Oh-oh-oh

It was just a challenge to Swedish guys to form a group and have a friendly match in group ladder. I belong to Finnish group as well and we thought it would be fun to have a match with close neighbours (I am Estonian)

Cyberfox said something about shutting the whole group ladder down if there are any flames between different nations...

We meant no offence, if no Swedish group is formed, we cannot fight it and that is that. No need to take anything personally.

Rebane here is a lesson: You can never .. NEVER .. get an Swede angry by insulting our country. Don't you know that when it comes to nationalism (and most other matters also) we are completely spineless creatures who do not give a hoot one way or another. We do not believe in God, our king, or our flag. We never really get upset over the things that seem to matter to other people.

In other words: We suck, but we do not care because all you others suck worse. wink.gif

Mattias

------------------

Philosophy is a battle against bewitchment of our intelligence by means of language. -- L.Wittgenstein

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DrAlimantado:

spineless creatures who do not give a hoot one way or another. We do not believe in God, our king, or our flag.

In other words: We suck, but we do not care because all you others suck worse. wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mattias, what the h***, are you actually saying that we do not beleive in our King? You are wrong man, Silvia would cry if she heard you frown.gif. In the event of war, which is highly unlikely thank god, our King is the only one I´ll fight for. Forget the politicians cause they´ll only care about themselves anyway.

I think you are right about the rest though. smile.gif

As for the Finns, who usually seem to be quite, I think we will form a group sooner or later to teach them a lesson. To avoid any misunderstanding I personally find the Finns to have been the most outstanding soldiers of WWII, without any doubt. Saying that, I don´t think that they will be as tough in CM. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Insu:

Mattias, what the h***, are you actually saying that we do not beleive in our King? You are wrong man, Silvia would cry if she heard you frown.gif.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I admit, there might be a slight disagreement within Sweden over our monarchy. But on the whole even the Swedish royalists are kind of half-hearted about it, at least compared to some other more harcore royalists out there in the rest of the big wide world. See we can't even do that properly. Welcome to Sweden the land of the hillbillies and the soft hearted chumps wink.gif

But Insu, I agree that if the Swedes on this board would get their act together, they would beat up the Finns ... I hope ... ha ha

------------------

Philosophy is a battle against bewitchment of our intelligence by means of language. -- L.Wittgenstein

See we can't even do that properly. Welcome to Sweden the land of the hillbillies and the soft hearted chumps wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree completely. Ibland är det är ledsamt att försöka vara stolt som svensk...det är ju som sagt nästan förbjudet. Man behöver ju inte vara extremist bara för att man gillar om Karolinerna, Gustav II etc. Glömde jag att nämna Per-Albin? wink.gif

But Insu, I agree that if the Swedes on this board would get their act together, they would beat up the Finns ... I hope ... ha ha

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just wished I had the time... frown.gif

Maybe I´ll have the privilege to play a Fin in the RD Tourney, Jarmo for example...if he makes it to the 3rd round that is. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geier:

Where's Gustavus Adolfus when you need him?

He's still dead. We named a pastry after him though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recall Gustav Adolf was shot from behind, possibly assassinated... Do you have anything eatable with name of Olof Palme yet?

Actually, I think naming food after past rulers would be a good and patriotic idea. We have only an alcohol drink named after Mannerheim. Hmm, what kind of food would describe Kekkonen the best... bun?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sergei:

I recall Gustav Adolf was shot from behind, possibly assassinated... Do you have anything eatable with name of Olof Palme yet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, that would be Karl XII (Carolus). Gustav Adolf was killed at Lüzten, 1632.

He was surrounded by enemy cavalry, shot and hacked to pieces. Definately not a fractricide.

Olof Palme murder. Let's just say that it is not one of our law enforcement's brighter moments. One time it's local drunk, the next it's a Kurdish conspiracy, after that it is a police-conspiracy...

Go figure, the reward for anyone providing enough evidence to convict a murderer is 50.000.000 Swedish Kronor, that's 5.000.000 USD.

Stefan Fredriksson wrote:

Gustav Adolf was killed at Lüzten, 1632.

He was surrounded by enemy cavalry, shot and hacked to pieces. Definately not a fractricide.

I have vague recollections on reading an article that stated that the first shot that hit Gustav Adolf was possibly fired by one of his officers. By mistake, apparently.

However, I can't remember any details of the article and it was in some source that I don't consider particularly reliable.

- Tommi

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tss:

I have vague recollections on reading an article that stated that the first shot that hit Gustav Adolf was possibly fired by one of his officers. By mistake, apparently.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am quite sure that some Finns, a captured Russian horse and a log were involved at some point, and that you really have read all three dozen obscure books about it, written by Finnish cavalrymen who were there and sported impronouncable names but performed heroic deeds that make Flashman look like a Sissy. Own up Tommi - we know you did.

As for the Swedish monarchy - you have a German queen. Only the English have sunk as low as you lot on this. I shake my head in sorrow.

As for the Dr. - the less said about his dressing habits, the better.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-27-2000).]

Stefan Fredriksson wrote:

Must admit I haven't heard that version before, so I can't comment on it.

Here's what Peter Englund wrote about the event in his book Ofredsår (note to all Swedes: if you haven't read the book, go and do it. You will not be excused of not reading it. The same goes to all Finns, it is translated as "Suuren sodan vuodet"):

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

When the king was trying to help Swedish infantry that was having troubles on the other side of the road he took the command of the Småland Cavalry, whose commander Fredrik Stenbock had been wounded by a musket shot, and led it to attack. The regiment soon met Götz Cuirassiers who had been covered by the fog and friends and enemies mixed quickly. Now everything happened fast. A shot that came from back side hit king's left arm. The shot broke his forearm; a broken bone shone through the sleeve of his yellow leather coat (he couldn't wear armor because of old wounds). Because he lost the use of his left arm he had to drop his sword and take Streiff's reins on his right hand. The king tried to get away from the battle and he and his retinue separated from Småland Cavalry but they get lost and rode directly to Emperor's Cuirassiers. A melee begun. Another shot. An officer of the Emperor's army, Moritz von Falkenberg, shot his pistol from the range of several meters to Gustaf Adolf. The shot hit king's back right under the right shoulder and penetrated to the lung where it cased severe bleeding. A few seconds after that Falkenberg fell from his horse after one king's men had stabbed him with a sword. One of king's men, Franz Albrecht von Sachsen-Lauenburg tried to keep Gustaf Adolf mounted. Yet another shot. A pistol was placed directly to head of Sachsen-Lauenburg. He managed to push the gun away but he had to release his grip from the king. A muzzle flash burned Sachsen-Lauenburg's face and he escaped. The king fell from the saddle of his startled horse but his left leg got stuck on the stirrup and for a short while his horse dragged him on the ground until his leg got free. He was still alive.

Three Emperor's cavalrymen arrived the scene and dismounted. One of them stabbed his rapier to king's chest. Another skewered his left arm. The cavalrymen mounted again and disappeared.

A short while later Ottavio Piccolomini arrived the scene. He had heard a rumor of death of the Swedish king. But Gustav Adolf was still alive. Piccolomini looked at the bloody figure that was still breathing. A couple of cavalrymen were robbing the king. One of them gave Piccolomini the king's leather jacket and one of Götz's men took King's ring, necklace, and watch. Then they stabbed him a few times. Fifth shot, the last. Someone put his pistol on king's right forehead and shot. Gustav Adolf was dead. One of the approximately 7000 dead of the day.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The case that was put forward in the article was that the first shot to hit Gustav's arm was accidentally fired by a member of his retinue. The officer in question was named, but I can't remember who it supposedly was as it has been many years since I read it. I can't remember whether the article was written before or after Ofredsår was published but I think it is more recent.

- Tommi

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tss:

Here's what Peter Englund wrote about the event in his book Ofredsår (note to all Swedes: if you haven't read the book, go and do it. You will not be excused of not reading it. The same goes to all Finns, it is translated as "Suuren sodan vuodet"):

- Tommi<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At last I have found an area where my sources are as good as yours, ie the same.

Spot on on Gustavus, for the death of Karl XII, check out "Förflutenhetens landskap" by same author (only translated to Norwegian and German, sorry Tommi, at least according to www.peterenglund.com). Here he publishes

some very interesting studies made by, for one, the inventor of the Carl-Gustaf grenade launcher that indicate that Karl XII was hit by stray shrapnel (druvhagel) from a gun in the fortress. I´can recheck this but "the assassination with a button" is pure and unadulterated myth. This doesn't stop Varbergs museum from sporting the button still. The book is otherwise a collection of essays.

Didja know that they dug up old Karl in the 1910's and performed a forensic on the body? Based on that and intense ballistics studies Mr Englund can prove, rather conclusively, what happened.

Am halfway through the follow-up to "Ofredsår", "Den oövervinnerlige" (The invincible) and what a piece of work it is.

I heartily recommend it. Karl X roams about in Poland and has just decided to take a winter holiday in Denmark.

One other aspect that I love about Mr Englund is that his books doesn't give the individuals with no hair and kicka-boots much room for maneuver and their simple-minded propaganda.

"Ofredsår" has been translated to Finnish, German and Czech (it went to place 3 on the national bestseller list there). The only available book in English by Englund is "Poltava". Which is interesting too. Not many blow-by-blow, minute-by-minute accounts of 300 year old battles out there, is there?

And Tommi: www.europa-universalis.com in case you managed to miss that one. Somehow I don't think you have, you old JAS-hater smile.gif

------------------

Johan

"The succesful execution of a well devised plan often looks like luck to saps."

Dashiell Hammett