Faster processor or more RAM?

HI guys,

My old pent 200 with voodoo 2 card and soudblaster 64 card can cope with CM but only just.

I can upgrade to P3 600 with the same grapics and sound card but is my 32 meg ram ok? The guy at the shop says 32 will be ok but what is more important for playing the game, RAM or processor speed?

I don't mind spending the bucks but I don't want to waste them.

Comments please

Don't even think about wasting your money on a PIII 600 in a machine with only 32 MBs of RAM. Get 128 MB of RAM at least. RAM is more important than processor speed for most games. But you need both, RAM, processor speed and a good graphics card.... get at least a 32 MB graphics card (such as a TNT2 ultra).

Rob

Stuka, what are you kidding? The guy at the shop said 32MB of RAM is OK??? eek.gif He must be living in 1995. rolleyes.gif Actually you need to think about 128MB. In my machine I have two 32MB DIMMS and one 64MB DIMM. I wouldn't go with anything less than 128MB.

Definately upgrade your system to the PIII-600 you won't believe the difference in power.

For sound and video cards, look for a SB Live! X-Gamer. It's only $100, plus you get three games with it. smile.gif I just installed one a couple hours ago replacing *MY* SB64. wink.gif

For video cards, you need to look for at least something in the TNT2 range so you can have full transparency effects in CM. Throw that Voodoo 2 away.

Hope this helps.

And by all means, get rid of the Voodoo2. They are barely 2nd Generation 3D cards. Besides they don't work well with CM. With a PIII-600 you'll definately want a better card than a Voodoo2

------------------

Finally........Maximus...has come back.....to the Forum!!!

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 06-13-2000).]

Rob is correct....you need it all....but I'd do RAM 1st, then vid card, then CPU if I had to do an incremental upgrade....best of all of course if ya have the $$$ is to do all at once...also Rob is correct on amount of RAM...128 mb minimum these days for gaming...IMHO

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuka:

HI guys,

I don't mind spending the bucks but I don't want to waste them.

Comments please<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Upgrading to 128MB for win98 should be about ideal. Any more ram and you start to get diminishing returns. Next, get rid of that V2. Heck, when I upgrade my son's computer in a week or so, I will sell you his V3 and his old PII233 for $50. A PIII 600 is running about $225 (or less) right now so I do not know this fits into your budget. You might also want to pick up a nice little mag called "Maximum PC". The most recent issue is dedicated to upgrading your PC. It is written in layman's terms so it is easy reading. I hope this helps.

Allan

Guest MantaRay

I have to agree, that computer guy was a bonehead. First off, 32 MB of RAM doesnt run even windows correctly. Secondly, you cannot use the EDO Ram that you have in your 200Mhz system for the 600, you will need PC-133 RAM(because it wont run with PC-100 or EDO RAM SIMMS.). If you go with less processor speed(550 or below for a P3) you will need PC-100. I can tell you that right now, the P3-550 and the P3-600 are the same price(Little Known Industry Secret) and PC-133 is only about $2 more than PC-100.

I must say that it will cost you about $400-500 if you get good deals, but it will be worth it.

Normally the Prices are as follows....

P3-600 $239 or less.

ABIT P3(motherboard)VIA-PC 133 Chipset(The VA6 is good. $89-119

PC-133 RAM...64 MB- $65-70 128 MB $120-130

And if you go to www.pricewatch.com , you can find even better deals through the site(if you trust shopping online.)

Hope this helps and if you need any more help feel free to email me.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MantaRay:

OOPS, you live in the Land Down Under...well, disreguard the prices, they are US ones.

Ray

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops. Same here Stuka. How much would it cost to mail a PII233 to Australia from the US? Heck, if it is not too much, I will just give you the PII if you want it.

Allan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Allan, why would he go from a P200 to just a PII-233??? The object is to upgrade his system. biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops, I must have misread the post. For some reason I thought he had just a plain old Pentium. Oh well, it is the thought that counts.

Allan

Stuka, I have P2 233 with 80 meg of ram and v2 3d graphics card, sb16 and the demo runs fine apart from the already mention glitches of the v2. the frame rate is fine never had any hang ups at all. I was going to upgrade just for CM but it a hard to justify $800.

Ron

Sounds like you will need to upgrade several things at the same time. New CPU=new MainBoard and RAM. I suppose that a new video card would run with the Pentium class chip but that ram you have now is going to be the sticking point. I guess it all depends on how much you want/have to spend. I started off with an old 386 many years ago and kept upgrading and upgrading and I'm still upgrading smile.gif Anyway, I'd do at least two of the things you need to...video+ram or MB+cpu+ram maybe a package deal on the net? how about AMD? they are cheaper than intel for sure. AMD is what allowed me to upgrade at a faster pace...and of course if you can install everything yourself you save alot of money too.

------------------

"It's a hardball world son. We've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over."

I would suggest going to one of those online computer stores and do a motherboard + cpu + RAM + vid card upgrade (better to check prices at several places of course).

I'm pretty sure you can get something at a good price. Get an older AMD chip with the proper motherboard and at least 64 megs of RAM, add a decent video card and you'll have a really nice machine.

Of course, you could always be a rebel and get one of those fruity, funky lookin' apple machines ... think different. Heheh smile.gif

MK

[This message has been edited by Kraut (edited 06-14-2000).]

Wow Guys!

I'm totally blown away by the responses to my post. You've given me more honest, valuable information than I could have got by talking to a dozen computer salesmen.I now have some genuine advice which I can use when I go shopping for my upgrades. If there was a smilie for emotional tears of gratitude I reckon I'd use it now....

Thanks heaps

I looked up the site where i started my search for my new machine again(was a couple of months ago, uhh no wait, almost a year, geez, time flies when you're not playing CM).

I saw an add on TV for http://www.bizrate.com/ and, like the good, braindead consumer i am, instantly got online and checked out the site. The site basically rates online stores, so it has a listing of companies which sell hardware etc. online.

I picked the best one from their list and compared it against a few others i found and ... well, you know, spent my money.

MK

Well, this looks like a completely new computer to me. If you want a new processor, you'll have to replace the board anyways, and you probably need new RAM too then.

So the minimum upgrade I can think of is CPU, board and RAM (a new graphics card is a good idea too).

If you're low on ammo err... money, take a Celeron, 128 MB RAM and a nice board, preferably one with a BX chipset. Plus you might consider buying a TNT2 graphics card.

If the budget is not that limited, I would opt for an Athlon, a board with a KX133 chipset, 128 or 256 MB of RAM and a GeForce card (SDR or DDR version, you choose). Actually in this case I would wait a few days/weeks until you can get one of the new socketed Athlons (codenamed Thunderbird) and a fitting board (in that case with the KT133 chipset).

Just my 2 cents on the hardware market.

Dschugaschwili

Stuka,

Component prices especially are likely to go down after June 30th due to the new tax system here in Oz so I would hold off on your upgrade 'til then- I know I am.

Maybe some of our east coast Aussie members could suggest some good sources. I for one would be a bit reluctant to order from an online US store, to many hassles.

What sucks about PC upgrades is Prices really sky rocket when you start getting into gamming.

You want cool graphics and fast performance?

You're gonna cough out the bucks....no way around it.

One of my favorite internet sites is http://www.Pricewatch.com

Check it out.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all