Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

German to English Translations

I know there are quite a few German speakers on this board, and was wondering if some could enlighten me on the names of some of the German units. For instance, I know Fallschirmjaegers are paratroops, but what is the litteral translation? Jaeger = hunter(?), what's fallschirm? Likewise I was wondering about Marder, Heer, Hetzer, Jadg- as in Jadgtiger, Nashorn, etc. I saw the Lynx referred to as the Luchs somewhere (which sounds a lot like "Lynx"), and was wondering if tanks like the Tiger and Panther are called the equivalent of "Tiger" and "Panther" in German, or were those names given by English speakers much like English speakers name Russian subs and Japanese aircraft by other than their literal translations (Val, Kate, Oscar, Whiskey, etc.). I know this knowledge won't effect game play or strategy, but for me anyway would increase enjoyment (not that there's a lack of it).

Jäger does mean hunter but in a military sense it refers to light infantry or a special skilled infantry like sharpshooters or skirmishers. Jäger units were in vogue in the 18th and 19th centuries but overtime the distinction became lost.

Fallschirm means parachute.

Jagd is a prefix for tankdestroyers that can be translated as "hunting." Jagdpanther would be "hunting panther" though that doesn't sound really cool in english.

Marder is a member of the weasel family. I have seen it translated as Marten but I've never seen pictures of a marten. Basically it's like a ferret. I did have one eat a spark plug wire once....

Heer is the German word for Army as in "our Army" but they also use Armee when referring to things like the "15. Armee."

Hetzer is often translated as "baiter" but I think that sounds stupid.

Nashorn means rhinoceros (nas from nase "nose" and horn being the same as english so you get "nosehorn" just like rhino means nose....)

Tiger and Panther are also german words. they are spelled the same as the english equivalent but pronounced differently.

Tiger pronounced "tee gah"

Panther pronounced "Pahn tah"

(edit)

here's a picture of a marder in his dining room:

91050386.jpg

[This message has been edited by RMC (edited 08-23-2000).]

Marder-marten I think, as in the pine marten the type of weasely thingy.

Hetzer is bushwhacker I believe

Jagd means hunting, so the tank destroyers are hunting Panther, etc

Nashorn is Rhino

Wespe=Wasp

Hummel=Bumblebee

Luchs=Lynx

Some of the things the soldiers say, I can't even figure out, even though I was born in Germany. Moved to USA at about 6 or 7 yrs old

Would like to see a translation page for them, like some guys did for CC3

'hetzen' can mean to pursue somebody in an very deadly way - maybe 'hunting to death'?

Think about hounds and the fox...

But 'Hetze' can also be used in an more general way to discribe situations where you have not much time to do things.

It can also mean to agitate in an nasty way.