Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CM Steam/Matrix vs BF

So...I have CM:SF2 and it's add-ons from Matrix (playing through Steam though) and all of the WW2 titles (CMBN, CMRT, CMFB, and CMFI) all purchased directly through BF.

The Shock Force 2 game loads and plays instantly regardless of scenario size...in testing before this post, I actually played a Rgt vs Rgt game with above 3000 people per side and over 200 vehicles in the game...WEGO turns take about a 30 second "computing" phase per minute for that, while saving and loading are less than 10 seconds.

With the direct bought WW2 titles...much smaller scenarios of around a BN on each side...take like a commercial break to load, 4 minute or so...and the WEGO minutes each take 2-3 minutes of computing at that size. 

My question....is it just something in those WW2 titles, or is something else about Steam make it smoother and faster playing through there? 

Edited by rvseydlitz
Typo

I've experienced the longer loading times you described for the WW2 titles. But I've never experienced the lightning fast loading times you described for the modern titles. It's not a difference between the Steam/Matrix and BFC versions of the games. I've had all of the BFC versions, and I now have all of the Steam versions, and there's no difference between them. Do you have Steam installed on a different drive from where the BFC versions try to install by default? If Steam is installing the games to an SSD, but the drive that the BFC versions are installing to is an HDD then that would account for the difference in loading times.

5 hours ago, rvseydlitz said:

So...I have CM:SF2 and it's add-ons from Matrix (playing through Steam though) and all of the WW2 titles (CMBN, CMRT, CMFB, and CMFI) all purchased directly through BF.

The Shock Force 2 game loads and plays instantly regardless of scenario size...in testing before this post, I actually played a Rgt vs Rgt game with above 3000 people per side and over 200 vehicles in the game...WEGO turns take about a 30 second "computing" phase per minute for that, while saving and loading are less than 10 seconds.

With the direct bought WW2 titles...much smaller scenarios of around a BN on each side...take like a commercial break to load, 4 minute or so...and the WEGO minutes each take 2-3 minutes of computing at that size. 

My question....is it just something in those WW2 titles, or is something else about Steam make it smoother and faster playing through there? 

It's the terrain. I'm guessing most of those battles are on pretty open maps in the Syrian desert? Same size map in CMBN Hedgerow country will take a lot more.

As an extreme test and if you have the Fire and Rubble Module for CMRT, go into the editor and then from there load up one of the Berlin Master Maps from the Master Maps folder. Hit 3D preview... wait... go make a cup of tea... wait... pour yourself a fermented drink of your choice... wait... and then enjoy the detail. If the Berlin maps open up in 10 - 30 seconds I want your PC. :D 

Edited by Ithikial_AU