Hypothetically: How much would you pay for an upgraded and modernized CMBO?

Guest BigAlMoho

Guest BigAlMoho
Originally posted by Mord:

So why are you still here?

Mord.

I have given up war games and history books and such but after checking in here on the forums multiple time per day for years and years I find bfc watching a hard habit to break...

It is with a morbid kind of fascination that I continue to read the latest posts, almost like watching a ship sink and feeling helpless to change the situation... It seems sorta like Blackbeard running his ship aground and beaching his crew only to take the money and run...

BTW thanks for asking...

Now I don’t give a flying turd about CMSF, nor the apparent direction BFC seems to be taking the franchise, but you mean to tell me you’re giving up an entire hobby and topic of study because you don’t like the new game?

So then, do you believe that this “WWII hunger strike” is somehow going to spur these game makers into action? Are you attempting to become the Caesar Chavez of the wargaming community?

I just don’t understand your motivations here. I’ll never stop my interest in science or history, no matter how bad Star Trek botches up one and BFC the other.

Guest BigAlMoho
Originally posted by BeauCoupDinkyDau:

Now I don’t give a flying turd about CMSF, nor the apparent direction BFC seems to be taking the franchise, but you mean to tell me you’re giving up an entire hobby and topic of study because you don’t like the new game?

So then, do you believe that this “WWII hunger strike” is somehow going to spur these game makers into action? Are you attempting to become the Caesar Chavez of the wargaming community?

I just don’t understand your motivations here. I’ll never stop my interest in science or history, no matter how bad Star Trek botches up one and BFC the other.

I lost my Dad in June... He was a WWII veteran of the Italian Campaign and wouldn't talk much about his time there... I got into WWII history in order to understand what he went through and I believe I have done that in large part... Now that my hero is gone I don't have that motivation any more and my dissapointment with CM is just the kicker that is sending me off to other more pleasant entertainment such as doing old Neil Young covers at open mic night with monkeys running sound...

Sorry about your dad. Be happy that you had such a good role model to call your father. My dad was in Nam, and while I respect him for doing his part for his country, he is a piece of crap as a father and a human being in general. But, whatever. A lot of vets from many wars do not like to talk about their experiences. I’ve just learned to respect when a vet tells me, “I don’t want to talk about it.” I just think some of life’s experiences are meant only for the holder. From what you’re saying, in you father’s case, his war experiences belonged to him and him alone. I don’t know what that means for you though.

However, I still don’t understand what your beef is with BFC. If you played CM to experience what WWII tactics may have been like (I say “may” only because games are a form of entertainment and not some kind of transference of historical experiences) then I’m sure CM gave you a taste of what those tactics might have been like—but it didn’t give you ANY idea what war is like. CM is a game.

I guess my problem here is that you seem to be under the impression that BFC owes you something beyond the product they promised. You seem to be implying that CM was more than just a game for you, and because BFC took it in another direction, they have damaged you in some psychological fashion. I guess what I’m saying is, is that it appears you have some sort of emotional link to a game because it provided you with a part of your father’s life that you were denied.

If that’s the case, then (and I’m going to be blunt) you have no business here. It would be like me going to the door of every director of every Vietnam movie that was ever made and then telling them they owed it to me to keep on making Vietnam movies so I could understand some aspect of my father’s life.

My emotional states regarding my father are MY PROBLEM. They’re not Stone’s or Coppola’s or Kubrick’s or anyone else’s. They’re mine.

So if you’re through with CM because of the new direction (as I may be), then fine. But don’t go throwing your skeletons on the shoulders of people that are not responsible for them. Those things you have to work out on your own, just like the rest of us do.

In essence, if this game no longer serves you in any capacity, then stop posting here and move on with your life.

Guest BigAlMoho

BeauCoupDinkyDau,

I have had a very intense number of years with CM and all the related concerns that affect my experiance... Now, after suffering a long and painful illness, CM has finally died and I am coming to accept that... So, I come here to mourn with kindred souls, looking for closure... That is my business here...

So, why are you here boy? To analyze me? If so, it seems to me that you need to collect some more life experiance and wisdom before you venture into those depths...

"BeauCoupDinkyDau" indeed...

If you are “mourning” for a game, then you are clearly in need of professional help. I don’t know of a single mourner in this entire forum, pro or anti CMSF.

Look pal, you’re the one that brought up the **** with your father and then tied it into CM. I’m making no professional “analysis,” just offering some advice based on what I am observing (just like every other living human being does—it’s called counsel—it’s the way human beings attempt to help one another get a different perspective on matters). But if you’re gonna be pissed at anyone for bringing that topic up to begin with, then be pissed at yourself.

Stop trolling and move on, boy. Damn.

Guest BigAlMoho

If you are “mourning” for a game, then you are clearly in need of professional help. I don’t know of a single mourner in this entire forum, pro or anti CMSF.

Look pal, you’re the one that brought up the **** with your father and then tied it into CM. I’m making no professional “analysis,” just offering some advice based on what I am observing (just like every other living human being does—it’s called counsel—it’s the way human beings attempt to help one another get a different perspective on matters). But if you’re gonna be pissed at anyone for bringing that topic up to begin with, then be pissed at yourself.

Stop trolling and move on, boy. Damn.

You are smaller than the issues you are attempting to discuss...

I am old enough to be your father and so I am entitled to call you boy but that entitlement does not work both ways... You are dismissed...

Guest BigAlMoho

lolatyou2.gifbiggrinroll.gifrotlaugh.gifbiggrinroll.giflolatyou2.gif

Thank you for entertaining me, boy.

Be careful when you step through doors, or your over inflated head might get you stuck before your walker does.

And now to commence ignoring this useless idiot…

Thank you small one for crapping in my thread and thank you more for leaving...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest BigAlMoho

Hello,

I stopped back here to let people know that I currently have a number of bookcase board games by Avalon Hill and Victory Games up for auction on eBay due to end 12-26-2007 listed under username: BigAlMoho...

...and now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Happy holidays,

Al

For me CMBO set a high standard for computer war games. The number of scenarios made it interesting to play years after it was released. I have over 220 scenarios. Most of which came from a site that I think was called "Scenario Warehouse". One great game. I play it on a Mac with OS 9.2.

I would pay good money for an updated game.

I have being playing CM from times to times for years now but not attached emotional on it.

However I believe it is not proper/right to criticize others that had, by any way.

I have experience many things by playing it and it affected me in a wider sence, as everyone(he would be a lier anyone who states the opposite).

I think the realism of war conditions was a major element of the games' success.

Game helps you to understand war better than a movie, but in general terms this is something that any of us wouldn't approach sitting here and playing games.

So anyone has take from the game what he wants and other that he doesn't realize.

The thing here is another subject. It's about human compassion in a peace period, something that in war could be deadly...

back to the original question, and not that it matters mind you, just passing the time

how much would i pay for an upgraded and modernized cmbo?

hell, i wouldn't even need upgraded graphics

just take CMBB or CMAK and make CMBO w/ it and i'd pay 50 bucks

btw, since i'm just talking to myself here anyway, i'll extrapolate a bit and suggest there's another game out there that ranks easily in the top 5 of all time that could be re-made with nothing about it changed other than modern graphics and the ability to play it on modern machines and i'd pay 75 or even 100 bucks for it, and i'm far from alone on this:

X-Com: UFO Defense

50 bucks, easily.

But it ain't happening. It is mostly the old guys, like me, who don't care about the graphics, who would buy the mild upgrade. Heck, I was just happy to have a game I didn't have to roll dice and consult CRTs. But that is too small of a market for them--they would have to charge...oh, 200 bucks maybe. (Complete guess, but just thinking about the overhead)

However...if they get us WW2 AFVs at CMSF resolution, that will be sweat.

Doubt, however, we will ever see something ever again on the scale of CMBB. So, if we were smart, we would buy a bunch of them for later resale--with the likelihood of a big premium. And adapting CMBB to later operating systems? I could see that as a cottage industry.

People still play chess. I'll bet someone will be playing CMBB in 2020.