Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Several Miscellaneous Questions

These are some of the finer points of the engine for sure, but I don't have time for much testing these days, and I'm sure some of you already know the answers. Plus it could help other players. So...

1) Can satchels/explosives be used to clear forest brush and / or trees enough so that a vehicle can pass through?
(From limited observation, I think this answer is NO... though explosives CAN be used to clear wire, fences, house walls, hedges, bocage, and CMFI vineyard rows. (Seems like two vineyard rows per satchel, of approximately vehicle width.) Hedgehogs? Some bunker types? All enemy armor types or just most?

2) Can smallish flavor objects cause a vehicle to redirect or get hung up? i.e., will it seek to go around the flavor object in god knows what direction? Or does it depend on the precise vehicle and precise flavor object?

3) In tight city streets when needing to turn a vehicle (let's say 90 degrees), where exactly should the waypoints be placed in order to minimize the chance of it getting hung up? Several precise waypoints through the turn? Just 2 waypoints that are farther apart, and let auto-pathing figure it out? Something in between? Or does it depend on the particular vehicle, driver skill, MOVE vs SLOW, etc.? 

4) When sneaking a tank around buildings at larger angles from the bearing to target (to get a shot at side armor, for example), must our friendly tank be able to spot the CENTER of the enemy armor, or can it see and fire at "pieces" of that armor that hang out past the obstruction? (I think "pieces" can work -- seems like I get spotted that way! -- but it may just take significantly more time to spot? Other factors?)
-

5) Bridge Bug related:

--Does move speed/type affect probability of bridge bug appearing?
--Does letting the waypoints "snap to" each end of the bridge mitigate the bridge bug?
--Does vehicle TYPE affect probability of the bridge bug?

Yes, I despise the bridge bug. It just ruined another scenario. (Lost a Wolverine I shouldn't have on Umlaut's outstanding Tiger By The Tail.)

4 minutes ago, sttp said:

These are some of the finer points of the engine for sure, but I don't have time for much testing these days, and I'm sure some of you already know the answers. Plus it could help other players. So...

1) Can satchels/explosives be used to clear forest brush and / or trees enough so that a vehicle can pass through?
(From limited observation, I think this answer is NO... though explosives CAN be used to clear wire, fences, house walls, hedges, bocage, and CMFI vineyard rows. (Seems like two vineyard rows per satchel, of approximately vehicle width.) Hedgehogs? Some bunker types? All enemy armor types or just most?

No, no clearing forest.

Interesting I didn't know you could blast vineyard rows - cool

Hedgehog I'm not actually sure about. All bunkers yes and any vehicle. That's a guarantee that all vehicles will be destroyed necessarily.

2) Can smallish flavor objects cause a vehicle to redirect or get hung up? i.e., will it seek to go around the flavor object in god knows what direction? Or does it depend on the precise vehicle and precise flavor object?

No, flavour objects are not obstacles. Size doesn't matter - BFC have tried not to make flavour objects too big so we don't miss understand them. 

3) In tight city streets when needing to turn a vehicle (let's say 90 degrees), where exactly should the waypoints be placed in order to minimize the chance of it getting hung up? Several precise waypoints through the turn? Just 2 waypoints that are farther apart, and let auto-pathing figure it out? Something in between? Or does it depend on the particular vehicle, driver skill, MOVE vs SLOW, etc.? 

My go to for around corners is two. One on the first road and the next one on the second but close together so that the vehicle stays on the road. The driver will slow down for corners on their own. 

4) When sneaking a tank around buildings at larger angles from the bearing to target (to get a shot at side armor, for example), must our friendly tank be able to spot the CENTER of the enemy armor, or can it see and fire at "pieces" of that armor that hang out past the obstruction? (I think "pieces" can work -- seems like I get spotted that way! -- but it may just take significantly more time to spot? Other factors?)
-

No, there is no need to see the centre of vehicles. That kind of things only applies to buildings.

5) Bridge Bug related:

No.

--Does letting the waypoints "snap to" each end of the bridge mitigate the bridge bug?

Well I place one just on one side of the bridge and the other just on the other side. The game doesn't snap anything so I think that is what you mean. Yes, crossing a bridge is best done by placing a way point just on the near side and another on the other side. 

No idea.

Yes, I despise the bridge bug. It just ruined another scenario. (Lost a Wolverine I shouldn't have on Umlaut's outstanding Tiger By The Tail.)

Just for a little clarity. There is no single bridge bug. If it were that simple it would be fixed already. There have been multiple issues involving bridges - as we all know. Many have been fixed some are suborn. Often they are not reproducible reliably. If anyone has one that is testers would love to report it and have it looked at. 

To be clear reproducible means that a turn saved before orders are carried out leads to the same problem each time the orders are executed. If you have a save of the replay the actions of the vehicle are baked in and replaying them over and over is not reproducing the bug its just showing you the bug again and again. The former is super useful the latter can still be sometimes but I think we are at the maximum for replays being useful.

in CMBN

Satchel vs Hedgehog. I have never had any success blowing up heldgehogs with satchels. I'm assuming the big steel thiny and not the tiny pricly critter.

Satchel vs landmines - occasionally.

Satchel vs wire - never had any success - so far.  I usually drive a tracked vehicle across and accept the damage to tracks or immobiliztion risk.

Satchel vs building, bunker, vehicles and personnell - good

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sttp said:

5) Bridge Bug related:

I made this wee vid. Last section (at 2.32) deals with bridges and minimising chances of a foobar on the bridge.

Edited by George MC

2 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

The Maple Feline gave better answers to your current set of questions than I was about to. But if you have further game engine questions I recommend checking out AR's youtube channel. He knows things about the engine that never occurred to me even after 15 years of playing the games.

Already subscribed!! Especially useful for me were the vids on mounting and dismounting and (especially) how to tell the blast command exactly which section you want blown up. Who knew?!?!

27 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Would satchels take out IED's when thrown at suspected locations?

I think I saw a video of this happening but I might be wrong.  You presumably wouldn't want to be too close 🫣.

On 5/23/2024 at 1:34 PM, WimO said:

Satchel vs wire

Not sure if satchel charges are same as as the demo charges one can use in CMSF and CMBS.  Not sure if it works in other titles.  But, I would assume so.  Used as one would when breaching a wall.  

Re "convoy pathing" one can also use slower moves orders for following in vehicles in addition to the time delay (for the first waypoint in any case).  As we know, time delays go up exponentially, and one rarely wants a 15 second pause as one gets between 30 and 45 sec pauses.

On 5/24/2024 at 11:35 AM, Sequoia said:

Would satchels take out IED's when thrown at suspected locations? 

There is no way to use a demo charge against and IED directly or indeed target just any old thing with a demo charge. You could use one against a wall or a building and trigger an IDE I suppose. I have no idea if that could happen though.