Winter Horizon?

5 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Gents, is there a winter horizon mod for CMRT?

I thought, that I saw it mentioned somewhere once, but don‘t find it in the mod depot.

Here you have one from the CMMODs III @StieliAlpha 

Hope this is the one that you need,  let it couple of days on my Dropplace !

Exist also the one from CMAF and CMBS I guess you can use some elements for CMRT !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4131x1otzbbu3p/3_0267 CMMODs.zip?dl=0

Edited by JM Stuff

18 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Here you have one from the CMMODs III @StieliAlpha 

Hope this is the one that you need,  let it couple of days on my Dropplace !

Exist also the one from CMAF and CMBS I guess you can use some elements for CMRT !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4131x1otzbbu3p/3_0267 CMMODs.zip?dl=0

Thanks, mate. I grabbed them already, but haven´t installed them yet. They are looking good so far, certainly better than my summer horizon behind snowy fields...

On 5/29/2023 at 10:49 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

They are simply superb. Been using them for years now.

@JM Stuff

Hi Jacob, I finally tried the winter horizons in a game (CMRT Rites of Spring), and another one playing in Jan 45, but did not manage to see the winter horizons. Do they work with mod-tagged scenarios only?

In support, I downloaded from FGM and installed the @kohlenklau winter mod. But that did not help much. Plus the version I found includes only some vehicle mods.

Any ideas?

2 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

@JM Stuff

Hi Jacob, I finally tried the winter horizons in a game (CMRT Rites of Spring), and another one playing in Jan 45, but did not manage to see the winter horizons. Do they work with mod-tagged scenarios only?

In support, I downloaded from FGM and installed the @kohlenklau winter mod. But that did not help much. Plus the version I found includes only some vehicle mods.

Any ideas?

Not sure, it has got something to do with the weather and ground conditions. Perhaps you can experiment a bit. Cold, clear and snow for example.

Edited by Aragorn2002

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Not sure, it has got something to do with the weather and ground conditions. Perhaps you can experiment a bit. Cold, clear and snow for example.

Thanks, Jacob. I’ll play with it little and let you guys know, if I find anything.

Strange enough, that I worry about winter horizons now that summer finally arrived…

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

I can take a look today and see what is up. Been about 8 years!

Thx, Phil. Strange enough, that I start to wonder now. Probably my recent PBEM of Rites of Spring was so frustrating, that I needed some excuse for my distraction. 😎

Sadly I have not found any old CMRT Winter Mod folders and files on my PC. I am wondering where exactly they are...

Maybe once BFC's CMRT FR module came out I was thinking they were obsolete and redundant and deleted them? That is not my usual style to do that.

For now. Nothing to pass on to you. Sorry.  

EDIT: One of my faults is curiosity. I went into CMRT and looked at FR The Rites of Spring. I tweaked the settings to see why the horizons are not snowed. My theory: Long story short is that the scenario seems to be briefed to occur in Hungary but BFC did not add a dropdown region for Hungary. 3 picks are Soviet Union, Eastern Europe and Germany. The scenario author set region to Germany. Modtag [hungary] was imported. So houses and such are Hungarian. But also my theory is that Germany region has some horizons for Berlin tied to modtag [germany city]. I wasted some of my life trying to fix this but was not successful. Sorry #2.

EDIT #2: My other fault is tenacity. I went and figured it out. @StieliAlpha Here are the horizons that fix the CMRT FR The Rites of Spring scenario.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bzpyls4y5y0ugtk/AABP7hDd5l4F1lR_kQ2CK5P2a?dl=0

Edited by kohlenklau

@StieliAlpha  the others BFC modules horizons doesn't works...?

Is this only the horizons or all around, like Falaise mod seasoned terrains and trees?

Perhaps can you working on one that already exist and have the perfect aspect from what you want...

For infos I am working myself on horizons view for Belgium 40 but for the spring with real Ardennrste pictures, this is my first one I will see if this works...

Edit @Aquila-SmartWargames was making also some test with real towns city's pictures, is a question to check how we can have the best way that we want...

Edited by JM Stuff

3 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Sadly I have not found any old CMRT Winter Mod folders and files on my PC. I am wondering where exactly they are...

Maybe once BFC's CMRT FR module came out I was thinking they were obsolete and redundant and deleted them? That is not my usual style to do that.

For now. Nothing to pass on to you. Sorry.  

EDIT: One of my faults is curiosity. I went into CMRT and looked at FR The Rites of Spring. I tweaked the settings to see why the horizons are not snowed. My theory: Long story short is that the scenario seems to be briefed to occur in Hungary but BFC did not add a dropdown region for Hungary. 3 picks are Soviet Union, Eastern Europe and Germany. The scenario author set region to Germany. Modtag [hungary] was imported. So houses and such are Hungarian. But also my theory is that Germany region has some horizons for Berlin tied to modtag [germany city]. I wasted some of my life trying to fix this but was not successful. Sorry #2.

EDIT #2: My other fault is tenacity. I went and figured it out. @StieliAlpha Here are the horizons that fix the CMRT FR The Rites of Spring scenario.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bzpyls4y5y0ugtk/AABP7hDd5l4F1lR_kQ2CK5P2a?dl=0

Hi Phil, if those are all of your faults, you are excused. 😊

I tried quickly: This version of your horizons works perfectly. Not only with Rites, but also with some other „winter scenarios“  which I tried.

Well, I still lost my PBEM battle of Rites very badly (some say devastatingly), but I now believe this really is my fault. 😎

Re your „Goodies“: You may want to shuffle that stuff over to Bootie’s FGM. 

Thanks, mate. 

Edited by StieliAlpha

1 hour ago, JM Stuff said:

@StieliAlpha  the others BFC modules horizons doesn't works...?

Is this only the horizons or all around, like Falaise mod seasoned terrains and trees?

Perhaps can you working on one that already exist and have the perfect aspect from what you want...

For infos I am working myself on horizons view for Belgium 40 but for the spring with real Ardennrste pictures, this is my first one I will see if this works...

Edit @Aquila-SmartWargames was making also some test with real towns city's pictures, is a question to check how we can have the best way that we want...

Thanks for coming back on that.

Yep, the horizon mods for BN, FI and CW work without an issue. Same with @Falaise brilliant environment mod. Though I admit, I am using @Lucky Strike

Re other, more specific horizons: Perfect! Let them come.

Just some thoughts re city horizons: First of all, the time frame: Show intact cities, or fire, or rubble?

Second: Clear or hazy? I once had a short exchange re the CW horizons, which seem to be too hazy for me. I love the crystal clear BN horizons, but had to learn, that some prefer it more hazy. May be ok for the long distance, but in cities, I would prefer them clearer. What makes it more difficult to match the time frame.

Thanks for coming back on that.

Yep, the horizon mods for BN, FI and CW work without an issue. Same with @Falaise brilliant environment mod. Though I admit, I am using @Lucky Strike

Re other, more specific horizons: Perfect! Let them come.

Just some thoughts re city horizons: First of all, the time frame: Show intact cities, or fire, or rubble?

Interesting burning city skylines, that doesn't exist at the moment, @umlaut was already doing a rubble or destroyed city for Stalingrad and Novgorod mod, but no flames horizons, also @NPye are very nice effects  in his mod, maybe check it there -down ?

Second: Clear or hazy? I once had a short exchange re the CW horizons, which seem to be too hazy for me. I love the crystal clear BN horizons, but had to learn, that some prefer it more hazy. May be ok for the long distance, but in cities, I would prefer them clearer. What makes it more difficult to match the time frame.

I guess the "fog" may have something to do with when the storyline is built and will start time, like early morning or a few hours later when the sun comes up, I don't know, it's just a question ?
Already that these horizons can also be used with modtags it's a good thing, maybe we can use a system to change the horizon from time to time and use some shader effects or the flames images system ??

21 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Interesting burning city skylines, that doesn't exist at the moment, @umlaut was already doing a rubble or destroyed city for Stalingrad and Novgorod mod, but no flames horizons, also @NPye are very nice effects  in his mod, maybe check it there -down ?

I guess the "fog" may have something to do with when the storyline is built and will start time, like early morning or a few hours later when the sun comes up, I don't know, it's just a question ?
Already that these horizons can also be used with modtags it's a good thing, maybe we can use a system to change the horizon from time to time and use some shader effects or the flames images system ??

Interesting ideas. I never really thought about the horizons. But indeed, there would a lot of room for more variety. I‘d say, especially CW cries for it. Though city skylines (damaged or not) would not hurt in the other games either. 

Edited by StieliAlpha

On 6/4/2023 at 11:13 PM, JM Stuff said:

Burning city skylines, or burning towns or even woods, convoys or fields. Yes, that would be nice to have. I remember i use to light whole grain fields in CMBB in the background, just for the atmosphere.

3 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Burning city skylines, or burning towns or even woods, convoys or fields. Yes, that would be nice to have. I remember i use to light whole grain fields in CMBB in the background, just for the atmosphere.

I am busy to trying something I like also the idea burning convoy, if you have more Ideas is time to let it on the table !

No promises you something correct but a try is on the way...

3 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

I am busy to trying something I like also the idea burning convoy, if you have more Ideas is time to let it on the table !

Perhaps signs of dogfights between fighters in the sky? 

5 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Don't feel obliged, my friend. But music in my ears of course. 🙂

6 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Hmmmm, some general ideas:

More adaptability. Horizons adapted to the context. Lush green fields are quite off for Battle of Berlin scenarios, as well as most FB scenarios.

The “burning cities” were more meant as a joke, referring to “Fire and Rubble”. I doubt there were many battles actually near burning cities.

Not too much detail. Usually, the horizon is quite far away in any case. A dog fight in the air would probably be just to black pixels. The burning convoy a black smear.

Brings me back to bullet point one: Adapted to the scenario size may be worth to consider. I dare say, in most platoon, company sized scenarios, the horizon may be quite close. Just behind the barrel of the rifle…. In battalion sized scenarios it probably should be farther away.

Which results in: Link horizons to the current zoom factor?

3 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Hmmmm, some general ideas:

More adaptability. Horizons adapted to the context. Lush green fields are quite off for Battle of Berlin scenarios, as well as most FB scenarios.

The “burning cities” were more meant as a joke, referring to “Fire and Rubble”. I doubt there were many battles actually near burning cities.

when I talk of cities on fire I am not thinking of setting the entire battlefield ablaze to the point of being burned, even the fingers playing a scenario (joking) but simply a few straight columns of smoke rising left and right in the sky (or taking into account the wind where a modtag could be added to give realism) but not absolutely essential... on certain part of the map (NSEW).

3 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Not too much detail. Usually, the horizon is quite far away in any case. A dog fight in the air would probably be just to black pixels. The burning convoy a black smear.

Brings me back to bullet point one: Adapted to the scenario size may be worth to consider. I dare say, in most platoon, company sized scenarios, the horizon may be quite close. Just behind the barrel of the rifle…. In battalion sized scenarios it probably should be farther away.

Which results in: Link horizons to the current zoom factor?

The idea would be to immerse the player in a view of a battlefield devastated by war, and not surround the player with an impassable brazier, some colone or abandonned vehicles in fire or not but not too much just one or two.

Like I said I have my little idea and try to apply it !

In the zoom factor we can created more or less details horizons pictures and playing with the blur, this will give already a good effect...