Laptop

Nope as in you'd be hard pressed to find a laptop that will run CM well. The main issue with laptops is their lack of adequate cooling. The components in the laptop will slow down as they warm up (they will use less power and thus making less heat). It's almost impossible to avoid this unless you plan on playing on a ceramic floor tile all the time. Even aftermarket coolers aren't that great.

That being said, your best bet for $500 is to find something used off Ebay or craigslist locally (make sure it works and there are no issues). You'll get the most bang for your buck this way. If you do this, make sure to thoroughly blow compressed air through the system when it's off to clean out any built up dust or whatnot.

For off the shelf solutions, you're probably just going to get ripped off for $500. That's my opinion.

Not sure I'm adding much here, but I've been playing CM (all WW2 titles) exclusively on the laptop below for a few years now.  It is begining to show it's age, but has never failed me.  Admittedly I paid over double your starting price for it as new.  It does get a little noisy and hot at times (mostly during loading the game or a scenario, not while playing the scenario).  And it takes a while to load, particulalry for RT and BN, perhaps partly due to the wadge of mods I have.

Asus ROG Strix GL702VM
Screen 17.3 inch, 1920 x 1080 px, 75 Hz, IPS, matte, non-touch, GSync
Processor Intel Skylake Core i7-7700HQ CPU
Video Nvidia GTX 1060M 6 GB
Memory 16 GB DDR4 (2 x DIMMs)
Storage

128 GB M.2 NVMe SSD + 1 TB 2.5″ HDD

44 minutes ago, Sluggo-337 said:

I own an HP myself and with Nvidia Graphics no problems. Here it looks good on paper. I would look at or installing Windows 11 is an option. Better ask for additional advice from BF.

I bought a MSI GE66 with a Intel Core i7, RTX 3070 with 32GB of Ram a while back. Had weird graphical issues with just Combat Mission. Text was off. When I hooked up to large screen monitor everything was fine.

This was a $1700 laptop at the time.

YMMV

I should have started this thread with the disclaimer that I am retired and have been away from computers for some time.  Therefore I know very little about computer hardware. 

So if the sample PC I listed won’t perform as expected, why?  The memory looks good.  I think the processor is OK.  It seems to meet the posted system requirements.  What’s not good enough?

2 hours ago, Sluggo-337 said:

That is obsolete enough that you should be able to pick that processor generation out of the recycling somewhere. Ebay is full of them sub $100. And the SSD capacity is extremely low.

I mean it will run CM allright, but I don't see that it is a good offer.

When you say run combat mission that can mean a lot of different things to different people. Keep in mind that when you install all of the combat missions as well as mods that can eat up a lot of disk space.

A SSD with low space can get eaten up fast with all of the Combat Missions installed and when you start adding mods to the equation a small SSD will become a problem. Keep in mind that you also need to account for OS as well as disk cache space. So a small SSD becomes a factor, plus will you be adding any other programs?

I play at 4K. When I had a system with an older processor and a 2080 graphics card the larger battles would see lags. I could play but had to accept shortfalls. Now that I use a more modern processor and 3070 and 3080 GPUs things are much smoother.

On my laptop that had a built in 1TB SSD drive CM was a disk space hog-keep in mind though I have other things loaded. I ended up getting a very fast external SSD drive to solve the problem.

Unless you're ok with long loading times going with a decent sized ssd drive is the only way to go.

Edited by db_zero

5 hours ago, Sluggo-337 said:

Yes this system has all the specs to play CM. The problem with the advice in this forum is what each person defines as acceptable performance differs wildly. The single core speed, the main indicator of good performance for CM, on the CPU you listed is over 2 times the speed of the CPU I played CM on for 9.5 years. The graphics card is also better than my old one by double as well. Are you going to be able to play the largest battles, with the most units on the best settings? Yes. Will it be fast and smooth with no screen tearing and with high frame rates? No, but it will be playable. If you are willing to accept slightly lower graphic settings and a lower frame rate on dense maps, this system will be just fine. If you have to have the fastest load times, fast frame rates, best graphics and play the largest maps with huge unit numbers, you need a system with far higher specs for far more money. For $500, this system will do just fine.

Use this website and enter in the current CPU you have to compare how it stacks up to this one.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleCompare.php

On 5/23/2023 at 9:29 PM, Sluggo-337 said:

Can anyone recommend a decent laptop that will play CMBN and is less than $500?

The only thing that I would really recommend is making sure to get a dedicated video card. Either nVidia or AMD. The Intel integrated card isn't what you want to run the game on.