Weapons sounds from Squad to Combat Mission

1) Download Audacity.

2) Set Audacity up so that it's recording your own PC's output. (Plenty of tutorials on this online.)

3) Either play Squad or watch high quality Squad videos (or whatever original sound source you may choose).

4) Hit record in Audacity.

5) Stop the recording and save that large, raw file as a .wav file.

6) Cut the larger .wav file up into smaller individual gunshot sound segments.

7) Edit these new .wav files to remove clipping and to conform to CM requirements. (I'm not at my main PC at the moment, so don't remember these particular file characteristics off-hand. You can open one of the defaults to be sure. They are definitely mono though, not stereo, so there'll be a noticeable loss in sound quality at this step.)

😎 Name these .wav file to match the CM sound files you want to replace.

9) Put your new wav files into your Z folder. No need to mess with or move the originals.

Tada!

This is all actually way less cumbersome than it may sound. Once you do it a few times it becomes almost routine. You can even combine sounds / tracks in Audacity and start messing with the program's default effects to get some really unique and high quality gun sounds. The one thing I will urge is that you should avoid clipping at all costs. There's a volume war going on with many downloadable sound packs, and to be honest, as much as I respect the time that people have put into them, many of those downloadable sounds just don't sound so great if you're playing with high quality headphones, for example.

Edited by sttp

2 hours ago, sttp said:

1) Download Audacity.

2) Set Audacity up so that it's recording your own PC's output. (Plenty of tutorials on this online.)

3) Either play Squad or watch high quality Squad videos (or whatever original sound source you may choose).

4) Hit record in Audacity.

5) Stop the recording and save that large, raw file as a .wav file.

6) Cut the larger .wav file up into smaller individual gunshot sound segments.

7) Edit these new .wav files to remove clipping and to conform to CM requirements. (I'm not at my main PC at the moment, so don't remember these particular file characteristics off-hand. You can open one of the defaults to be sure. They are definitely mono though, not stereo, so there'll be a noticeable loss in sound quality at this step.)

😎 Name these .wav file to match the CM sound files you want to replace.

9) Put your new wav files into your Z folder. No need to mess with or move the originals.

Tada!

This is all actually way less cumbersome than it may sound. Once you do it a few times it becomes almost routine. You can even combine sounds / tracks in Audacity and start messing with the program's default effects to get some really unique and high quality gun sounds. The one thing I will urge is that you should avoid clipping at all costs. There's a volume war going on with many downloadable sound packs, and to be honest, as much as I respect the time that people have put into them, many of those downloadable sounds just don't sound so great if you're playing with high quality headphones, for example.

Ill be using Logic X to adjust the sounds. Ive done it before with the m4a1. but I just lowered the frequency and compressed the sound to where it doesn't hurt the ears. 

• 3 weeks later...

I tried squad during the recent free weekend. It’s a decent multiplayer shooter, but I didn’t enjoy all the mechanics designed to control player behaviours etc. it’s fine. The sound is amazing however. Getting them into CM somehow would be awesome. They sound very high quality, but there is obviously in game processing of them too. A bmp firing next to you sound completely different to one behind intervening terrain. Word is there is a squad SDK on epic store, whether that contains all the sound files I don’t know, it’s a 75 gb install for the game and extra for the SDK.

3 hours ago, Jace11 said:

Also found this

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/bizarchivistsoundproject/discussions/2/1699416432428619922/

and the links in it are still up, worth a gander

these appear to contain all the games weapon sounds in ogg format.... kinda exactly what we need right, just convert them to wav.

Thanks for the link !

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/12/2023 at 2:11 PM, Murauder said:

I dont think convert document from ogg. to wav. will work. I have tried before,but not Squad. I used the Post Scriptum file and convert them for CM. And,it was very wired in CM,not as same as the original sound from PS.

OK, I have found the solution,it's the bit rate. CM can only use 750 bit rate,higher or lower will cause the audio become strange. I have already convert the Squad and Post Scriptum sound to CM.