Trying to modify a .bmp file with gimp but it shows the black pixels ingame and I dont get how to fix it

Hi everyone, I could use some advice from the modders here.

Basically, how do I make the engine understand the limits of a .bmp texture file (in other words removing everything that's a black pixel) ?

Maybe it's my export settings, I really don't know what I'm doing and there are no resources online that I could find.

All ideas welcome at this point, all I did was remove white and bluish pixels on the edges because they looked pretty bad. I then tried to remove the background and make it transparent (adding an alpha layer and removing every black pixel) but that actually breaks the file, and it displays as a completely black box in game..

Capture.JPG

I am at my office job and not at my normal PC for CM stuff. hmmmm. Try to select by color the black part and then try "selection to alpha". Honestly my CM toolbox is GiMP, paint.NET and an old hacked copy of Photoshop. Each has evolved to have a specific thing i use it for based on my limited brain and limited skills. But Photoshop is my go to tool for alpha layers/channels.

Sometimes I close GiMP and then fresh open an existing CM bmp of another flower or plant doo-dad to study the format. Reverse engineer Soviet-ski 1950's style.

GIMP, as far as I can tell, will never transfer transparency to .bmp files (perhaps there's a plugin for that).

You need to convert a .bmp file to a .png file (which GIMP & Paint.net handle better), use that & then convert back to .bmp afterwards.

I use the very simple Pixelformer for a lot of basic .bmp work (there's probably better options out there).

49 minutes ago, 37mm said:

GIMP, as far as I can tell, will never transfer transparency to .bmp files (perhaps there's a plugin for that).

You need to convert a .bmp file to a .png file (which GIMP & Paint.net handle better), use that & then convert back to .bmp afterwards.

I use the very simple Pixelformer for a lot of basic .bmp work (there's probably better options out there).

That was it, didn't work with paint but Pixelformer did it, thanks a lot !

You do your transparency layer on Gimp then export in .png, and finally export again with Pixelformer in A8R8G8B8 and .bmp.

I still don't get why it doesn't work with Gimp tho, not that I care too much. 

4 hours ago, Pr0Gam3rDude69 said:

Hi everyone, I could use some advice from the modders here.

Basically, how do I make the engine understand the limits of a .bmp texture file (in other words removing everything that's a black pixel) ?

Maybe it's my export settings, I really don't know what I'm doing and there are no resources online that I could find.

All ideas welcome at this point, all I did was remove white and bluish pixels on the edges because they looked pretty bad. I then tried to remove the background and make it transparent (adding an alpha layer and removing every black pixel) but that actually breaks the file, and it displays as a completely black box in game..

Capture.JPG

Your attempted mod is very welcome and is always nice to created something, but for infos  exist already in the CMMODs I think from Kiemes for CMRT , dont remember...

2 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Excellent. Please show us the sunflowers as you intended! :D

This is originally from "Kieme CMBS alternative crops" but no more white outline, I like it. Looks pretty bad on the picture because of compression tho.

I'm going to tweak it a bit more and post the file later. I don't like how the grass is too thin and choppy like near the bottom left corner of the picture.

image.jpeg.47ce970a7371341a7ab724f7977db77d.jpeg

ok found them

but there is no download link...

so have a look in here...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fdgcyjxwy99csp5/AAB2HVemThOm9vyqdj2lj_I8a?dl=0

I don't remember which kind soul hosts that dropbox, sorry, but it is at the bottom of the list

Veins CMBS Ukrainians.zip

I altered them slightly, color, armbands etc. The original has more options/combinations though.

Edited by Jace11

1 minute ago, Pr0Gam3rDude69 said:

This is originally from "Kieme CMBS alternative crops" but no more white outline, I like it. Looks pretty bad on the picture because of compression tho.

I'm going to tweak it a bit more and post the file later. I don't like how the grass is too thin and choppy like near the bottom left corner of the picture.

image.jpeg.47ce970a7371341a7ab724f7977db77d.jpeg

Good stuff, its important to get familiar with alpha channels for texture editing.

5 minutes ago, Jace11 said:

ok found them

but there is no download link...

so have a look in here...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fdgcyjxwy99csp5/AAB2HVemThOm9vyqdj2lj_I8a?dl=0

I don't remember which kind soul hosts that dropbox, sorry, but it is at the bottom of the list

Veins CMBS Ukrainians.zip

Woaaw !! thanks to the link, hope this will help more of us, you are quick to find something 😉

These guys were making really good jobs and Vein, specially good uniforms  !

I ended up making my own from scratch in the end just to make sure I got the entire process right, but it's not great. I uploaded the cleaner version from Kieme too.

I wish they were taller too, but that's engine stuff..

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Bf1WxuP_SQ2oP0MAgUTQnlEOGrcsMUAa?usp=share_link

the new ones (they don't blend well with the rest imo) :

image.jpeg.e0c5c2bbc50d7f9c794faa96ca61a525.jpeg