Bridgehead at Han-sur-Nied, Part 2

There is definitely one Sherman with a setup that covers the main street for a good distance. I moved the one on my left to cover the Rue de Rosas(?) (the long street across the front of town by the farms). Looong field of fire right down to where the Germans have to cross the street to get to town. My stuck Sherman got stuck in a lucky spot and had good shots in a couple directions.

Dave

4 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I was going by the "Junior Member" icon.

Yeh, I'm not very active on this group, sorry. But I have been playing CM since it first landed, and the prequel CM1 when that was first released too. I genuinely think this is the best game out there for the genre

But I'm still beaten regularly by Humans and the AI 😁

• 3 weeks later...

I gotta chime into this discussion.  I am a longtime player of CM and my CM buddy and I have been playing PBM battles back to back since CM's release.  He does a lot of map making and scenario making and I am one of his chief play-testers.  I have to say, I too, as much as I hate to say, lose more of these battles than win.  At first I blamed it upon trying to move forward and attack too fast and learned the hard way...so now I feel I play strategically better but now I blame my losses upon bad luck....skirmishes that have the highest priority for me to be successful I lose out.  I can never rely on timely support attacks ever and accurate arty.  In spite of all this I still enjoy this game and continue to strive to even up my odds.  It's too good to not play and to not to be a big fan of it.  The great assistance of this Forum, Admin, and all the mod makers and scenario makers has made this game even better.

As for this Bloody River scenario I am playing it US vs Ai Axis.  I know it is not recommended but I had missed this recommendation of making the US the Ai.  So far the US is holding them off but I have found this is a very intriguing map and requires a lot of CM experience to prepare a balanced decent set-up.  The reinforcements haven't arrived yet so my entire set-up has not been highly challenged yet.  I recommend this scenario for others to play.  Its got it all and on a small scale and it is not a short battle.

Edited by Bob Willett

14 hours ago, Bob Willett said:

I blame my losses upon bad luck.

Hi Bob.  I agree. 

In recent PBEM games I've had a random artillery shell land in the engine compartment of a Panther, immediate KO.  I've had numerous tanks of various types bog on main roads, some of which then very quickly turned to immobilised.  I've had AT gun crews abandon their guns after the mere plink of a round or two of rifle fire on the gun shield.  I've even had two Panthers for no obvious reason cosying up their rear ends in full view of enemy Shermans - the one at the back quickly took a 76mm shell up its rear.  Not to mention the old Panther 'chocolate gun mantlet' issue.  I could go on...

Despite these things CM is the one game I can't stop playing, and this forum is the one I look at most days.

As for River of Blood, I imagine it wasn't recommended to have the Germans as AI because the AI might not do such a great job at attacking those tough walled areas etc. in the town.  Having said that I didn't do a very good job at it either against a rather capable human opponent.  Of course he also had luck on his side, which I did not 😉.

16 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Hi Bob.  I agree. 

In recent PBEM games I've had a random artillery shell land in the engine compartment of a Panther, immediate KO.  I've had numerous tanks of various types bog on main roads, some of which then very quickly turned to immobilised.  I've had AT gun crews abandon their guns after the mere plink of a round or two of rifle fire on the gun shield.  I've even had two Panthers for no obvious reason cosying up their rear ends in full view of enemy Shermans - the one at the back quickly took a 76mm shell up its rear.  Not to mention the old Panther 'chocolate gun mantlet' issue.  I could go on...

Despite these things CM is the one game I can't stop playing, and this forum is the one I look at most days.

As for River of Blood, I imagine it wasn't recommended to have the Germans as AI because the AI might not do such a great job at attacking those tough walled areas etc. in the town.  Having said that I didn't do a very good job at it either against a rather capable human opponent.  Of course he also had luck on his side, which I did not 😉.

@Vacillator, you are 100% correct as to why I chose to fight as the Germans. We all know that the AI does a pretty poor job at attacking. When I'm playing solo I always pick the attacking side, to make the game a little more balanced. Stir into that mix the fact that I play all my solo games using the HardCat rules, and you have a tough fight on your hands vs the AI.

I will be putting Part 3 together soon, and the defending US are starting to fight back, and fight back hard!

Drew