Online resources for creating realistic, WW2 Italy maps

Hi,

The question is all in the titleā€¦ šŸ˜Ž

I'm looking for any useful resources to create realistic CM maps of Italy during WW2 (for France, the Geoportail is greatā€¦ Once you go to CMFI you feel nakedā€¦).

- historical maps or aerial photograph

- topographic maps

Thanks in advance for your advices!

Meanwhile, I usedĀ https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt

Question:

Where can I find online historical maps, aerial photographs, topographic maps of Italy during World War 2

Answer:

Ā 

There are several websites where you can find online historical maps, aerial photographs, and topographic maps of Italy during World War II. Here are some suggestions:

1. The National Archives of the United States: The National Archives has an online catalog called the National Archives Catalog, where you can search for maps and photographs related to Italy during World War II. You can also access the National Archives' Digital Vault, which includes a variety of digitized records, including maps and aerial photographs.

2. The David Rumsey Map Collection: The David Rumsey Map Collection has a large collection of digitized historical maps from around the world, including Italy during World War II. You can search their website by location or keyword to find maps and photographs of interest.

3. The Library of Congress: The Library of Congress has a digital collection of maps from World War II, including maps of Italy. You can search their website by location or keyword to find maps and aerial photographs of interest.

4. The Perry-CastaƱeda Library Map Collection: The Perry-CastaƱeda Library at the University of Texas at Austin has a large collection of online historical maps, including maps of Italy during World War II.

5. The US Army Military History Institute: The US Army Military History Institute has a collection of digitized maps from World War II, including maps of Italy. You can search their website by location or keyword to find maps of interest.

It's important to note that some of these websites may require registration or a fee to access the maps and photographs. Additionally, it's important to be aware of any copyright restrictions when using historical maps and photographs.

Ā 

13 hours ago, PEB14 said:

Hi,

The question is all in the titleā€¦ šŸ˜Ž

I'm looking for any useful resources to create realistic CM maps of Italy during WW2 (for France, the Geoportail is greatā€¦ Once you go to CMFI you feel nakedā€¦).

- historical maps or aerial photograph

- topographic maps

Thanks in advance for your advices!

For topographic maps, what about the G.S.G.S. 4228 series?

@PEB14 Just in case you were thinking of recreating Monte La Difensa or Monte Camino, I have already created a 4000 m x 4000 m map with those two mountains. The topograpy and the roads have been completed but no vegetation or buildings. I will not be completing it and have not posted it. If you want to have it to finish it, I would be happy to share it with you.

Thank you all gentlemen! It's always a pleasure to post on this forum, peaople are always helpful.

And the winner isā€¦ Canada! I found exactly what I was looking for at MacMaster university! Thanks @Pinetree !

Ā 

6 hours ago, Pinetree said:

For topographical data to use with Butschi's tool, there is http://tinitaly.pi.ingv.it/Download_Area1_1.html which gives you DEM data in geotiff format at 10m resolution.

I definitively need to have a look at @Butschi's tool. Up to now I didn't because I was under the impression that his ttol was only working with Windows, not Mac. I will check.

Ā 

4 hours ago, WimO said:

@PEB14 Just in case you were thinking of recreating Monte La Difensa or Monte Camino, I have already created a 4000 m x 4000 m map with those two mountains. The topograpy and the roads have been completed but no vegetation or buildings. I will not be completing it and have not posted it. If you want to have it to finish it, I would be happy to share it with you.

Thank you for the offer, but this is not the area I am looking for; I'm planning a scenario in the Bracciano area, a few kilometers North from Rome.

Ā 

6 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Here is the link for the Italy pageĀ Ā Perry-CastaƱeda Library at the University of Texas atĀ AustinĀ 

https://maps.lib.utexas.edu/maps/italy.html

Tons of interesting stuff but, curiously, I wasn't able to finad any map of the area I'm looking for?!

Anyway that's fine, the MacMaster map is all I need.

Thanks again to all of you!

Answer from my friend:

Ā 

My first stop for maps is usually McMaster University digital archive.They have viewing tools so you can really get up close and personal with the maps.

Here is probably the best place to start:Ā https://library.mcmaster.ca/wwii-topographic-map-series-italy-south-switzerland

The GSGS map series are some of the best period map sources.

The best source aerial photos (and maps for that matter) is this siteĀ http://www.wwii-photos-maps.com/Ā However, it can be a bit difficult to find exactly what you want.

University of Texas Austin has a very nice digital map collectionĀ https://maps.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/

The Army Map Service Topographic Map Series can be very helpful. But once again, it can be pretty daunting to find what you need.

Hope that is helpful.

Ā 

Ā 

8 hours ago, PEB14 said:

I definitively need to have a look at @Butschi's tool. Up to now I didn't because I was under the impression that his ttol was only working with Windows, not Mac. I will check.

That would be interesting. All the python stuff should work cross platform, I think, but given that I don't have a Mac, I never checked. You won't be able to use the precompiled executables, though, as they are for compiled for Windows.

1 hour ago, Butschi said:

That would be interesting. All the python stuff should work cross platform, I think, but given that I don't have a Mac, I never checked. You won't be able to use the precompiled executables, though, as they are for compiled for Windows.

I'll let you know. As I'm lazy, I may use the executables on my office Windows computerā€¦ šŸ˜‰

I am excited to see how you attack the making of a map!Ā 

There have been a few threads about realistic maps and certain things that can be done to make them seem more natural. WimO and Macisle come to mind.

Likewise, there are threads about the limitations of the editor and some workarounds that can be employed. GeorgeMC comes to mind.

My best advice is to decide early before you invest massive time if you must employ artistic license in a "global rotation" or "non-historic alteration" to achieve a better final product. Buildings are only offered at certain angles. Waterways and Roads are also a big pain. If you did not know, there is a 22.5 degree road mod by your fellow Frenchmen Falaise.

Your map might not match the exact battle area 100% but it does get done and works well in the scenario.

Edited by kohlenklau