Mortar crews

Sven

It's a side effect of a fix for a worse problem. In an earlier release if you gave a mortar team a target command they would start to aim the mortar but the guys doing nothing would fire away with their small arms. This had a tendency to expose the mortar team's location and was generally viewed as a bad thing(tm). They will fire their small arms on their own but at close distances than normal infantry because the mortar team is tasked only with local defence of the gun.

Moral of the story don't use mortar teams as infantry.

45 minutes ago, Sven said:

So it's not possible to order them to fire? Not even after firing all shells. Quite ridiculous. I could use my crew right now...

Well as a good commander you will of course value your special weapons teams since they have valuable skills and are hard to replace. So, you likely have a standing order that they withdraw to the rear once they are out of ammo so as to not risk loosing them to enemy fire.

:D

11 hours ago, IanL said:

Well as a good commander you will of course value your special weapons teams since they have valuable skills and are hard to replace. So, you likely have a standing order that they withdraw to the rear once they are out of ammo so as to not risk loosing them to enemy fire.

:D

True. :)

However, with the possibility of the enemy wading towards you over the water it'd be like shooting ducks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've had some, albeit limited success. This should be stating the obvious, but just in case - the mortar has to be undeployed for them to operate as more regular infantry. On a similar sidenote, I've also found that MG teams will not buddy aid unless the MG is, also undeployed.

6 hours ago, RMM said:

Well, I've had some, albeit limited success. This should be stating the obvious, but just in case - the mortar has to be undeployed for them to operate as more regular infantry. On a similar sidenote, I've also found that MG teams will not buddy aid unless the MG is, also undeployed.

It seems that mortars and MG get automatically deployed, at least in some of the games, is there a way to forbid their deployment?

5 hours ago, PEB14 said:

It seems that mortars and MG get automatically deployed, at least in some of the games, is there a way to forbid their deployment?

Only the ones that have a 0 second packup deploy automatically. You can't prevent it unless you set move orders or maybe a permanent pause might work too

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2023 at 3:39 AM, PEB14 said:

To add to Artkin's reply, I think the RU, wheeled MG's are also permanently, automatically deployed as soon as the infantry stops moving which is unfortunate, but this also raises the issue of the game allowing infantry to dump SW's