A daft question ...

I'm winding up work on my 'USMC Gung Ho!' campaign and when that's done, I'd like to start a new version of the same campaign but this time with German Gebirgsjager units instead. But I'd like to give it a German name instead of 'Gung Ho!', a title which demonstrated my pedigree as an old ASLer.

So the daft question is, what would be an appropriate German expression to use instead of Gung Ho!? I've googled it and got 'ubereifrig' or 'wild entschlossen' among others and of course, I'm clueless. What would you German speakers prefer I use or would something else be appropriate. I don't have to be able to pronounce it, just spell it and that's what copy and paste are for.

BTW, I was planning to use the title 'Tally Ho!' for the Brit version.

11 minutes ago, Paper Tiger said:

Vorwarts ... hmm, I wonder what that means in English. Would it be Forwards by any chance? Or is it a false friend?

That sounds a bit better and it's short and punchy. I like it.

I would translate it with go ahead.

The old one Donner und Blitzen. Means Thunder and Lightning.

Edited by chuckdyke

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I'm not German, but maybe "Kampflust"?

Or one of my favourite German words: "Fuchsteufelswild" - 'mad as hell, furious'

Probably one of these guys would give a better answer:

@Butschi @StieliAlpha @poesel

Hm, good question. „Gung ho“ translates indeed to something like „wild entschlossen“ or „übereifrig“. But that‘s useless as a scenario title. @Paper Tiger What do you want to express with your title? Are you looking for some kind of „unit motto“?  I understand „Gung ho“ is very much a USMC typical phrase.

Otherwise, offhand I would recommend something like „Vorwärts“ or „Attacke“ or „Zum Angriff“.

BTW, in our context, I would translate „Vorwärts“ with „Advance!“

I agree, the question is really what you want to express. The meaning of Gung ho itself is a bit difficult to pinpoint. So I wouldn't go with a translation but a similar motto with similar overall "feeling". Maybe the German version of the scouts' motto, "Allzeit bereit"?

35 minutes ago, Butschi said:

I agree, the question is really what you want to express. The meaning of Gung ho itself is a bit difficult to pinpoint. So I wouldn't go with a translation but a similar motto with similar overall "feeling". Maybe the German version of the scouts' motto, "Allzeit bereit"?

„Zäh wie Leder…“ just came to my mind.

Though the origin is quite questionable…

Edited by StieliAlpha

20 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Hm, good question. „Gung ho“ translates indeed to something like „wild entschlossen“ or „übereifrig“. But that‘s useless as a scenario title. @Paper Tiger What do you want to express with your title? Are you looking for some kind of „unit motto“?  I understand „Gung ho“ is very much a USMC typical phrase.

Otherwise, offhand I would recommend something like „Vorwärts“ or „Attacke“ or „Zum Angriff“.

BTW, in our context, I would translate „Vorwärts“ with „Advance!“

Actually, I used 'Gung Ho!' for the USMC because that was the name of the ASL USMC module. Yes, that's how deep my thinking was. These seem to be good suggestions but for now, I've got 'Gerbirgsjagers Vorwarts' as a working title but it's certainly not set in stone.

2 hours ago, Paper Tiger said:

Actually, I used 'Gung Ho!' for the USMC because that was the name of the ASL USMC module. Yes, that's how deep my thinking was. These seem to be good suggestions but for now, I've got 'Gerbirgsjagers Vorwarts' as a working title but it's certainly not set in stone.

„Gebirgsjäger Vorwärts“ definitively sounds good.

Just strike out the „s“ at the end. Unlike „Hunter“, „Jäger“ has no specific plural in German. It‘s one Jäger or two Jäger or many Jäger….

I don't have a better idea, so I did what you do these days and asked ChatGPT about it.

I asked for a Gebirgsjäger motto fighting in the jungle with max. 3 words. This is what came out:

1. "Grün und Stark"
  2. "Dschungelkrieger"
  3. "Wilde Entschlossenheit"
  4. "Gemeinsam Überleben"
  5. "Schatten im Dickicht"
  6. "Mutig Voran"
  7. "Tarnen und Siegen"
  8. "Freiheit im Grünen"
  9. "Unerbittlich im Dschungel"
  10. "Gebirgsjäger Wildnis"

I like 8. best ('liberty in the countryside' (lit. 'liberty in green')). :D 
A bit more serious
would be 6. - 'advance with courage'.

For a laugh, here is the list before I set the 3-word limit. Not going to translate. :)

1. "Durch Dickicht und Gefahr – Gemeinsam stark!"
  2. "Ungesehen, unerschrocken, unschlagbar!"
  3. "Wildnis bezwingen, Freiheit verteidigen!"
  4. "Tarnung, Tapferkeit, Triumph!"
  5. "Im Dschungel zuhause, für Freiheit bereit!"
  6. "Entschlossenheit im Grün – Sieg im Herzen!"
  7. "Mit Mut und Präzision zum Erfolg!"
  8. "Unser Terrain, unsere Pflicht, unser Sieg!"
  9. "Schattenkämpfer – Unsichtbar, doch mächtig!"
  10. "Im Einklang mit der Natur, unbezwingbar im Kampf!"

1 hour ago, poesel said:

I don't have a better idea, so I did what you do these days and asked ChatGPT about it.

I asked for a Gebirgsjäger motto fighting in the jungle with max. 3 words. This is what came out:

1. "Grün und Stark"
  2. "Dschungelkrieger"
  3. "Wilde Entschlossenheit"
  4. "Gemeinsam Überleben"
  5. "Schatten im Dickicht"
  6. "Mutig Voran"
  7. "Tarnen und Siegen"
  8. "Freiheit im Grünen"
  9. "Unerbittlich im Dschungel"
  10. "Gebirgsjäger Wildnis"

I like 8. best ('liberty in the countryside' (lit. 'liberty in green')). :D 
A bit more serious
would be 6. - 'advance with courage'.

For a laugh, here is the list before I set the 3-word limit. Not going to translate. :)

1. "Durch Dickicht und Gefahr – Gemeinsam stark!"
  2. "Ungesehen, unerschrocken, unschlagbar!"
  3. "Wildnis bezwingen, Freiheit verteidigen!"
  4. "Tarnung, Tapferkeit, Triumph!"
  5. "Im Dschungel zuhause, für Freiheit bereit!"
  6. "Entschlossenheit im Grün – Sieg im Herzen!"
  7. "Mit Mut und Präzision zum Erfolg!"
  8. "Unser Terrain, unsere Pflicht, unser Sieg!"
  9. "Schattenkämpfer – Unsichtbar, doch mächtig!"
  10. "Im Einklang mit der Natur, unbezwingbar im Kampf!"

Good to see that ChatGPT is not (yet) very helpful, when it comes to being creative….😉

Go ask it to write a press release about a product you know, and be surprised how close this comes to the things you see in the wild.

Mass text production is now doable and a lot of writers will be out of a job, soon. AI has achieved a mediocre creativity, which is good enough for most things.

14 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

„Gebirgsjäger Vorwärts“ definitively sounds good.

Just strike out the „s“ at the end. Unlike „Hunter“, „Jäger“ has no specific plural in German. It‘s one Jäger or two Jäger or many Jäger….

Okay, done that. Thanks