Still insane low FPS

AstroCat

CBMN on Steam to check it out.

FPS: 20 !!!!

Look at my perfectly tuned system in the specs. 10700k, 32GB, 4090... lol. Come on this is insane even for old CM.

So laggy it was insane, as soon as I zoomed up to a higher view I was seeing literally at times 1fps!!!! AHAHahahahaha Seriously?!

Medium map with a Tiny battle.

Edited by AstroCat

14 minutes ago, AstroCat said:

Look at my perfectly tuned system in the specs. 10700k, 32GB, 4090... lol. Come on this is insane even for old CM.

So laggy it was insane, as soon as I zoomed up to a higher view I was seeing literally at times 1fps!!!! AHAHahahahaha Seriously?!

I havent tried the cmbn steam version but in the past cmcw cmbs and cmsf2 felt laggier on steam to begin with

Haha... I know the engine history of CM but I'm still floored when I try it out again just how terrible it runs on high end hardware. I know it's opengl, and all the in my opinion bad engine choices (remember no Speed tree?) back in pre CM2 days but you'd think through the years some kind of improvements would have been made. 

You go back a long way before me, but what I've read seems to be in line with your thoughts.  There has been discussion of a CM3 engine etc. but nothing is likely to happen in the immediate foreseeable and I'm not sure whether it will be a total revamp or just a brush up.

Have you run the BFC version on the same hardware?  How does that compare with Steam?

23 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

You go back a long way before me, but what I've read seems to be in line with your thoughts.  There has been discussion of a CM3 engine etc. but nothing is likely to happen in the immediate foreseeable and I'm not sure whether it will be a total revamp or just a brush up.

Have you run the BFC version on the same hardware?  How does that compare with Steam?

Yeah the standalone and Steam versions both seem equally bad for me. In very, extreme low fps ranges no matter what. Sure you can tweak out a few fps this way or that but really on a 10700k 4090 this game should be hard locked at 144hz not to fry my system at <1000fps! :D 

16 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Yeah, so it's not about the hardware.  At least you can use it for stuff like flight sims if the X52 and TrackIR is a clue.  I have those as well, plus the pedals 😉.

Yeah for sure, I play all kinds of games. Back into Stellaris for a bit here and before that I played all through Dying Light 1. But I have a soft spot for CM, it's just such a shame it's basically unplayable for me, and has been for years. I spent so much time playing and modding it early on. 

19 hours ago, AstroCat said:

Medium map with a Tiny battle.

if 20 FPS is your high and 1 your low on a small map / tiny battle, you should probably try tweaking some settings. My I7 7700K + 3080 does better, but obviously no wonders it's still CMx2.

Although my graphical petpeeve would be draw distance, FPS is usually good enough for me with a range of 15-40 during normal usage (large maps and med-large battles). Engine 5 will probably focus on performance but it's not known yet how much impact it can have.

23 hours ago, AstroCat said:

Look at my perfectly tuned system in the specs. 10700k, 32GB, 4090

“Perfectly tuned” means, specifically? I ask because my system is much less powerful than yours. A very old first Generation i7 and a 3060ti, Win 10 with CMBN running from a Barracuda HD, not SSD.  However I’ve tuned mine by shutting down and/or uninstalling all unnecessary background programs and services as a rule. First by using programs for tuning PCs (such as System Mechanic), then manually reviewing what’s still trying to run at startup. I also use 37mm’s All In One Mod Pack.  Machine has no slowdowns anything like what you’re getting, which must be incredibly frustrating on such a powerful PC. I’d be brains falling out angry!  

It's the CM engine, my system runs games just amazing, they look fantastic with super smooth high fps, it's dreamy. But CM is engine locked, it's not the hardware. Sure I can do the CM "tweaks", like the display.txt edit, turning off shaders/shadows... reducing draw distance, etc. Then my fps will be higher, but why? Why is this necessary to get over 20-30fps? Engine failure, is why.

Edited by AstroCat

On 3/30/2023 at 4:44 AM, AstroCat said:

Haha... I know the engine history of CM but I'm still floored when I try it out again just how terrible it runs on high end hardware. I know it's opengl, and all the in my opinion bad engine choices (remember no Speed tree?) back in pre CM2 days but you'd think through the years some kind of improvements would have been made. 

I don't think it is BF Fault I bought all my games directly from BF and they run perfectly, and my system is not high end 16GB. Could be a conflict in your graphic settings and she plays on standard Windows setting and not optimal.

You do not mention if this is a gaming laptop or desktop. If laptop, do you have an integrated Intel card that might need to be bypassed possibly? If Intel took over, that would be the issue. Happened to me years ago on my gaming laptop after a Windows update. I had to physically direct all my CM games to my nVidia card, otherwise the games wouldn't run passed 5 FPS on the Intel crap and they were obviously unplayable like that.

All I got for you sorry to say.

6 minutes ago, Blazing 88&#x27;s said:

You do not mention if this is a gaming laptop or desktop.

If you mean the OP's machine, the description is in his sig:

Home/Gaming PC:  i7-10700K @4.9Ghz || Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC || G.SKILL 32GB  Ripjaws V DR4 3200MHz || Fractal Design Define R5 ||Corsair HX1000i || LG 32GK850G 31.5" || BenQ G2400W 24" || SteelSeries Arena 9 || 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, 2TB || Saitek X52 Pro || TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro || Win10 Pro 64bit

Yeah it's the engine, I've been around since CMBO playing and modding since the beginning. The last several years though the CM engine has become dreadfully outdated and broken. It's not my system, believe me, and yes I can do the tweaks to get more fps. But it's still crazy low fps and you have to give up bad shaders and bad shadows for an even worse looking game running still super bad. 

I would love CM on any kind of even semi-recent engine, it's absurd at this point.

Edited by AstroCat