How to get your CMBN game on Steam

Important: The key that is used to get you Steam key is your CMBN key. 

Hi guys,

We’re very pleased to be working with Battlefront and know many of you are eagerly anticipating the release of Combat Mission. We wanted to give you some details on how things will work and both teams will do their best to make this process as painless as possible for you all to get your games working on Steam. 

·        Steam keys will be available to anybody who purchased the game, no matter where they purchased. All users will get steam keys by creating an account with Matrix/Slitherine to redeem a steam key. The reason for this is Matrix already have a process to distribute the keys and Battlefront didn’t and it would have been a lot of work for them to create such as system so it felt simpler to use a system that already works. Sorry for the inconvenience of anyone who needs to create an account because of this. 
·        Once you have an account you can redeem Steam keys in the normal way by following these instructions - https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=93585
·        Note that if you bought a bundle from Battlefront you will only have one serial for all the games in the bundle. To redeem all the pieces of your bundle as Steam keys you will need to register that serial for each part of the bundle. E.g. if you purchased the base game and Commonwealth bundle you would register that serial twice, once to the base game and once to the DLC. Each will generate a unique Steam key for that piece of content on Steam and must be redeemed on Steam separately. 
·        When purchasing a bundle on Matrix/Slitherine you will receive a serial for each part separately. 
·        The versions on Matrix, Battlefront and Steam are identical apart from some minor changes to make the game compatible with Steam. Steam requires all the game content to be in the install folder so the placement of some files will be different to the Battlefront version but this is all behind the scenes and the features are identical. Multiplayer is possible between versions. 
·        Customers who buy from Matrix/Slitherine will have access to the Matrix installer and a Steam key. Customers who buy from Battlefront will have access to the Battlefront version and Steam key. Matrix/Slitherine customers will not have access to the Battlefront version and vice versa. 
·        Any Steam key redemption issues should be reported to the Matrix forum, as Battlefront are not able to help with that. 
·        Other tech support should be requested at your point of purchase but both companies will try and help out anyone who has an issue if they can. Obviously any order issues can only be investigated by the site you purchased from as neither company has access to that kind of info for the other. 
·        If you have any questions or problems please let us know and we will do our best to help. 

1 minute ago, Runyan99 said:

Hi Elvis. I have an order from 2011 with an activation code, but I don't know where to find my serial number. What should I do?

Heya Runyon99!!!! I'll never forget that battle you thumped me in. It was huge and you tore me apart.

Open a Help Desk ticket.

30 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Heya Runyon99!!!! I'll never forget that battle you thumped me in. It was huge and you tore me apart.

Open a Help Desk ticket.

Thanks will do the same. As activation codes are all that are shown on my account and Slitherine not accepting them. Not had the game installed (presume thats where the serial number usually would be) for a number of years due to the bugs that ruined the experience for me.

Scratch that, tired minds, the activation code as on your order does get accepted.

Edited by Oliver_88

1 minute ago, Oliver_88 said:

Thanks will do the same. As activation codes are all that are shown on my account and Slitherine not accepting them. Not had the game installed (presume thats where the serial number usually would be) for a number of years due to the bugs that ruined the experience for me.

The people that will see this are folks whose purchase of the base game was with Game Engine 1. That used a different activation system than anything from Game Engine 2 on. I have a way around it though. It just takes a little voodoo ninja work. We were prepared for it. 

So I have the Engine 1 version and tried to open a help ticket to get my code but every time I try to submit the ticket it says "you look like a bot" and refuses to take it.  Any suggestions for how to get around this would be appreciated!!!!  Thanks

I was able to get it going just fine by just using Engine 4 even thought I also had Engine 3.  Using the above (and below) link for slitherine really helped a lot.

·        Once you have a Matrix or Slitherine (they're the same) account you can redeem Steam keys in the normal way by following these instructions - https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=93585

For bundle users (one key for all) I just wanna highlight something since there's alot of copying/pasting of keys. Dont forget to go back to the Slitherine site to get a newly generated Steam key for each module. Dont forget to re-copy your bundle key and enter it at Slitherine. Then copy the new Steam key to activate new products at Steam. Rinse and repeat! I was well aware of this but still almost made a few mistakes.

My help ticket still didn't work on Steam or slitherine and matrix, will try again

You know, I download the original game and try to install the fresh download from Battlefront and it gives me errors, is there a way to see the files without the installation?  Perhaps, a serial number is located there

Edited by huhr

You have to go to Matrix and open My Page and find the game you want there.

Then you post your BFC key there and the game is registered. You then have to find the game on mY Page again and ask for a Steam key which is what you use to activate the game on Steam. You don't use the BFC key.

Apologies if that's obvious. Only trying to help out another gamer in distress.

Edited by Paper Tiger

2 hours ago, huhr said:

My help ticket still didn't work on Steam or slitherine and matrix, will try again

You know, I download the original game and try to install the fresh download from Battlefront and it gives me errors, is there a way to see the files without the installation?  Perhaps, a serial number is located there

1. If you bought CMBN from Battlefront than you check your serial no. from your order at Battlefront.

2. This serial no. is used for registering a game on your Slitherine/Matrix account (picture 1 and 2)

3. After registering the game, you'll be able to redeem a Steam key (picture 3).

Hope it helps:)

2023-03-29_16-51-45.jpg

2023-03-29_16-52-18.jpg

2023-03-29_16-52-45.jpg

Edited by Jane's

On 3/28/2023 at 10:12 AM, BFCElvis said:

The people that will see this are folks whose purchase of the base game was with Game Engine 1. That used a different activation system than anything from Game Engine 2 on. I have a way around it though. It just takes a little voodoo ninja work. We were prepared for it. 

Well what is your work around? I bought my game in 2011 and slitherine is telling me that my serial is not recognized?

I managed to successfully transfer my CM BN library across to Steam. A little fiddly given I purchased everything individually as they came out starting way back in 2011 when I first purchased Normandy. Very happy and looking forward to the other titles coming over to Steam each quarter. 

CMBN 1.0,I paid the same price, but due to the old mechanism, everyone who bought the content together had the same key,Prompt: KEY has been redeemed

CMBN CW,I paid the same price, but due to the old mechanism, everyone who bought the content together had the same key, Prompt: KEY has been redeemed

CMBN 2.0,I paid the same price, but due to the old mechanism, everyone who bought the content together had the same key,But this is not necessary for exchanging steam key

CMBN MG,I paid the same price, but due to the old mechanism, everyone who bought the content together had the same key,but aslo successfully redeemed the MG steam key

CMBN 3.0,I purchased it under my own bfc account,But this is not necessary for exchanging steam key

CMBN VP  ,I purchased it under my own bfc account, so I successfully redeemed the VP steam key

CMBN BP1  ,I purchased it under my own bfc account, so I successfully redeemed the BP1  steam key

CMBN4.0,I purchased it under my own bfc account, successfully redeemed the CMBN  steam key?!

Therefore, on the Steam platform, only the Commonwealth has not successfully redeemed. I don't care if I buy the Commonwealth again at Steam. However, in the future, if BFC suddenly doesn't sync the new content of CMBN on Steam, then I still have the problem of that  replace my new computer and the old CMBN 1.0 2.0 won't activate.

The same problem also occurred in the original version of CMFI.   Gustav and  Rome to Victory does not exist this problem,because I bought it under my own account.

Fortunately, CMRT, CMBS, CMCW, and CMFB are all purchased under my own account.I bought CMRT twice! The first time was the same key from 2014. The second time was a few years later, I activated the game on my new computer and found that the first key had been invalidated, so I bought it for the second time under my own account