Baltic Mini Map Pack

--------------------------------------------------------------
Mini map pack for Battlefront Combat Mission Red Thunder
--------------------------------------------------------------

Description:

Three maps in Estonia one in Latvia.

All the maps in this mini pack are based on google earth satellite images, photos and also street view when available, not historical maps. So obviously these locations were not identical during ww2. I however tried to downgrade the type of roads when I thought it made sense, on rare occasions removed a couple of houses or farms here and there but for the most part they're as accurate as I could make them.

Some have attack or meeting engagement setups, some are raw (no deployment zones or objectives). The latter will require a little bit of work to be playable.

I tried as much as possible to frame the maps so they're versatile and can be used in various ways: both for meeting engagements and attacks. But there are also usually several possible setups that you could use i.e different directions for the attack with potential objectives and road in all cardinal directions. There is often not just one single way to play them.

It should be noted that most of these maps, except Talvikese which is fairly open with rural terrain, are basically dirt roads going through forests, marshy ground and lakes. So it can be very easy if played as attacks or assaults to block the roads with anti tank mines depending on the deployment zones. So you could just have infantry battles, have an agreement with your opponent to limit the usage of mines or even modify the terrain a little bit by replacing marshy ground with mud or something else where needed. Or just play them as is. It is up to you.

Feel free to use them for whatever you want. Simply credit me and provide a link to this thread.

The maps:

1/ Estonia - Kapera (raw map)

iVDHhB1.png

size: 1408 X 1072m
type: forest/rural

60km west of Pskov
google earth coordinates: 57°46'12.40"N 27°19'33.80"E

2/ Estonia - Kahri Koorvere road

j3xocbP.png

size: 1168 X 1184m
type: forest and lakes

35km south east of Tartu
google earth coordinates: 58° 5'19.20"N 26°58'28.02"E

Includes both a raw map and a version with a red attack setup. The map with the attack setup is slightly cropped on the northern edge for gameplay reasons so I decided to also include the original one.

3/ Estonia - Talvikese (ME)

EnI2pow.png

size: 2688 X 2832m
type: open/rural

20km south of Tartu
google earth coordinates:  58°12'3.76"N  26°49'7.02"E

4/ Latvia - Courland - Lemzere (raw map)

JVSQIOn.png

size: 1776 X 1008m
type: marshy forest and lake

55km south west of Tukums
google earth coordinates: 56°36'15.63"N  22°34'36.97"E

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8d4xsu2bbu1sbbe/CMRT Baltic mini map pack.rar?dl=0

Installation:

Extract the map in the following directory:

Documents/Battlefront/Combat Mission/Red Thunder/Game Files/Scenarios

Zveroboy

For anyone interested in the historical context, the three maps in Estonia are more or less situated right on the path of the Russian 67th and 1st guard armies operating under the 3rd Baltic front who launched their offensive from Pskov, south of the lake Peipus, towards the town of Pechory in august 44. Basically during the first half of 1944 the red army had tried in vain to attack on the Narva isthmus. With Bagration in full swing, the German retreat and the transfer of troops to army group centre, it became possible to bypass the Narva position.

The Russian offensive then progressed along a north west axis toward Tartu which eventually forced the now outflanked German Narva grouping to pull back. It is also worth noting that the Russians conducted an amphibious assault across the narrowest part of the lake Peipus with a flotilla of 40 small vessels.

On the German side, lots of troops were poorly equipped and trained Estonian militias. But naturally the German army counterattacked with units like the Nordland division from the III ss panzer corps and later army group north sent von Strachwitz and his kampfgruppe to strike the flank of the Russian 1st guard army. Strachwitz had however an unfortunate Kubelwagen accident who killed all passengers except him but left him with a fractured skull.

• 3 months later...